Do you use a old film camera today for fun?

10 years 6 months ago #299545 by Sandy Smith Photos
I found a old Nikon N4004 35mm SLR with 50mm f/1.8 lens in my storage yesterday. I'm going to try to find some film for this today.

Anyone else shooting with a film camera for kicks?

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #299546 by McBeth Photography
Yes, I keep my old N8008s for black and white shooting. The spot meter comes in real handy for metering the zones. ;)

I was about to get rid of the N8008s when the Leica M Monochrom was released, in the literature Leica said that "it was the closest that you could get to the look of black and white film with a digital sensor." I thought to myself, hmm.... I can just keep this Nikon in case I ever want to shoot black and white film! And then a couple months ago, a very good friend of mine gave me whole bunch of darkroom supplies as well as 3 bulk film loaders full of b&W film :woohoo: All I had to do was get some chemicals and go to town!!!

So I am shooting black and white right now, mostly for fun or personal work, and I am loving the developing part of it too! It's alawys fun to learn something new. ;)

It is what it is.
10 years 6 months ago #299552 by Jim Photo
No but, that is a good idea!

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #299555 by Don Fischer
I have my F5 loaded with Provia. Don't use it a lot but some. My Pentax 645 is also loaded with Provis. Use it more than my F5. Have an RB 67 and a Yashica 635 I take out every once in a while. Pretty expensive to shoot them but I love them.

10 years 6 months ago #299567 by Ian Stone
LOL I just got out bid on a Nikon f100 yesterday! I think film would be fun to mess around with. Not sure how long I will be able to find film, but it should be interesting.

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #299603 by StephanieW
I don't currently. I'm all digital. But I kind of want to find an old Polaroid camera just for fun. My cousin takes some amazing shots with hers. She has a wall filled with her Polaroid shots and it's really quite impressive considering how unprofessional that camera is typically considered. I kind of like vintage things though, even if they don't always make sense. :huh:

10 years 6 months ago #299633 by Vahrenkamp
Film is a lot of fun to use a break from digital. With a roll of 36 shots loaded, when you go out, knowing you only have 36 shots to fire off will sure get you thinking about each shot before you fire away.

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #299635 by TvPhotos
I shoot time to time with my Mamiya twin lens camera. I miss medium format film.

There is no reason not to follow your heart. ... Stay hungry. Stay foolish.
10 years 6 months ago #299719 by icepics
I have all kinds of film cameras I use all the time. (I do have a digital camera too, but have a vintage lens I use with it a lot!) It's not hard when getting film developed to get it scanned, so it's easy enough to start with film and be able to use it in a digital format. It's possible to do the opposite and make a negative from a digital image but hardly anyplace seems to offer the service and I get the impression it's not that easy to learn to do.

I've started sending film out, so it's not as handy as it used to be to run some film in and pick it up, but there are mail order options - places like The Darkroom in San Clemente, Blue Moon (Oregon), Dwayne's (Kansas). If anyone's interested you could take a look at www.filmphotographyproject.com for resources, a podcast, videos, etc. FPP sells film as does Adorama, B&H, Freestyle to name a few.

Sharon
Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #299856 by StephanieW

Vahrenkamp wrote: Film is a lot of fun to use a break from digital. With a roll of 36 shots loaded, when you go out, knowing you only have 36 shots to fire off will sure get you thinking about each shot before you fire away.

This is a really good point. With my digital photography I'd say about 90% of my pictures are never seen by anyone but me. When I went to comic con I got into some high profile panels and during a 1 hour panel I took 100+ pictures. Most of them were similiar with just the panelist sitting behind the booth, but I just kept tinkering with the settings (I've only had a DSLR for about 4 years, still playing with things) and capturing different expressions and stuff. If I had a limit I'd be a lot less experimental.

Side note: I'm really giddy to have 70+ pictures of British actor Hugh Dancy on my hard drive even if I'm the only one who'll ever see, like, 60 of them. It was such a fun panel. :)

10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #299860 by effron
These are just my filmers, and all work well. I actually keep "slide film" in my F100 and take it out at times.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
Attachments:
10 years 6 months ago #300010 by JD Imagery

effron wrote: These are just my filmers, and all work well. I actually keep "slide film" in my F100 and take it out at times.

WOW... great collection! This thread has me thinking about tracking down my old film camera or just picking up one on ebay.

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #300019 by Hassner
I threw out a lot of 35mm and 120 film yesterday. Just filling up the veggie rack in my fridge for 8 years.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #300091 by Camera Diva
I wish I had the spare time to be able to get out with some film!

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024