Mexico or South America workshops

10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #309185 by Foggy
Really a layered question -

1. Is Mexico or South America safe for Americans to travel?
2. What are some workshops in these countries that you could recommend ideally in Feb or Mar 2014

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #309253 by Foggy
Sorry about my spelling! Noticed the title originally read "Sough America" :rofl:

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #309311 by effron
No different than any country on the planet, there are places that are safe, and then those places to NEVER go. You need to research. I've been to the S American west coast twice, (many moons ago) as far as central Chile and the place is awesome, my favorite was Equador. I have probably been to Mexico fifty times in my life, all but one was a great trip. Things are different now, and most of Mexico will never see me again. Planning is key..... ;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #309435 by Uplander
just stay in the tourist areas and you will be good

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #309627 by Tony Imaging
Love Mexico! But haven't been to a workshop there. Here's a workshop page that I found: josevillaworkshops.com/

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #309737 by Camera Diva
I would highly recommend Brazil, beautiful country and inexpensive to travel too. Electronics are pricey there, so make sure you have what you need.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #309773 by StephanieW
The weird part about Mexico is that it's most dangerous right near the US border. I think it has to do with drug cartels. If you get further away from the border it's safer. I wouldn't go to Tijajuana or Juarez. I honselty think those are the two most dangerous places in Mexico right now. But central or southern Mexico would be reasonably safer. Things vary though so just because a location is southern doesn't mean it's automatically safe. Do your research on the location before going. See if there are active cartels in the area.

I recommend this website to look for current alerts on a per country basis: travel.state.gov/travel/travel_1744.html

Here is a current list of travel warnings for Mexico: travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_6033.html

I don't know about the safety situation in South America, butif you go have fun! Peru and Chile are on my top 10 list. It's my dream to travel from Peru down to southern Chile using things like buses and trains. I haven't researched the safety of this so it could be very dangerous, but it's my dream vacation. And Brazil would be amazing for wildlife photography.

10 years 5 months ago #309841 by Addicted2Photos
Mexico is so much fun. Cabo is so beautiful

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #310193 by Master Photograffer
Completely safe if you keep a good head on your shoulders. Stick around in the touristy areas.

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #310281 by renanpaiva

Camera Diva wrote: I would highly recommend Brazil, beautiful country and inexpensive to travel too. Electronics are pricey there, so make sure you have what you need.

About this I guess that I can help you a little.

First of all what Diva said It's the truth, if you came to Brazil remember to bring all filters, all cards every thing that you probably will need.

You will be a tourist so if you need buy something go to mall We here don't buy in malls because It's so expensive for an example a D5200 in a Nikon shop costs USD$ 2000,00.

A Hoya filter, few people uses here because in a mall costs about USD$ 100,00.

But new the good things, this period (fev mar) We have carnival in Rio and São Paulo, for a tourist who looks for natural beauty Rio is best, but if you look for good food too, architecture and etc São Paulo is best.

I living in a city country side of São Paulo about 15 miles, but I went to Rio many times.

The important tip is stay in tourist area, don't try do get city photos alone in downtown at night.

Avoid Favela, now in Rio you have some tourist packages to know the Favela if you wanna see use It.

In carnival try to get a ticket for VIP area, It's a little expensive but think that 1,00 Dollar = 2.25 Real so.

Country side you'll find many of rain forest good for get shots and animal live such as birds and little monkeys

To travel by plane It's expensive too so go to country side, traveling few miles by bus or car you get very beautiful places, If you go to Rio go to Paraty or Buzios where you can get a good nature contact visiting jungle areas.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024