Need some advice on getting started photographing high school seniors?

10 years 5 months ago #313265 by Wayne Tidwell
I graduated last year from high school, and last month I started visiting the school and handing out flyers for senior portraits taken by me. This lasted for a couple days before I was told I can't be doing that. So I figured I would put flyers on all the cars , well that didn't go too well either. I contacted the school and they said that they already had a company that was contracted to come in and take the needed photos and they reminded me that I couldn't hand out any flyers or business cards on their property. I'm just getting started and have invested most of my money into my gear. What ways can I advertise to high school seniors and not break what is left in the bank. Which isn't much. Any ideas would be super appreciated.

Wayne

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #313317 by Stealthy Ninja
What I'd like to see is some examples of photos you've taken before.

If you can't show your work you won't get very far. People will just stick with the ol' photographer the school has a contract with (they may be better than you, so your first step is to get better than them, give them a reason to choose you over the other photographer).
10 years 5 months ago #313381 by effron

Stealthy Ninja wrote: What I'd like to see is some examples of photos you've taken before.

If you can't show your work you won't get very far. People will just stick with the ol' photographer the school has a contract with (they may be better than you, so your first step is to get better than them, give them a reason to choose you over the other photographer).

Yeah, this is true. You must get your work out there, and if its going to take that contracted business, it better be good....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #313471 by Drew Fletcher
Have you done a search on Facebook for or sites like Classmates for others from your school? That might be a good point of access to reach these seniors.

Nikon D700 | 24-70mm | 14-24mm | 105mm
Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #313609 by StephanieW
I've worked for school photography companies and they are all contracted out a year in advance. Sometimes more. I admire your determination, but these companies are typically HUGE multi-million dollar companies with school district contracts (occasionally just a single school, but the ones I worked for had their hold on entire districts most of the time). That said, as others have said, you could always become a popular alternative if your work is good enough. Just trying to directly circumvent contracts like that is not the best route. Word of mouth. Online advertisements maybe. Start a blog with a portfolio. Talk to your friends. :) Or make a deal with the devil and try to work for the school portrait company lol. The ones I worked for paid decently.

10 years 5 months ago #313633 by sleeper54
I am sure high schoolers in my area are responsible for finding their own photographer for their senior pictures. No 'contracting out' an entire 'school population'.

Around here it would be the classical question of marketing oneself and one's work . . .which has already been discussed earlier.

...tom...

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #313673 by StephanieW
That's interesting. I was in California. Worked for 2 different school photography companies and was well aware of a third that was always our competitor. It was typically the same company that did yearbook and ID pictures. Essentially everyone in the schools got packages and the students could call up the place, schedule portraits, and get it done in a certain window of time. It was required that you went in and got the pictures so that they all looked uniform in the yearbook, but if you wanted to buy anything extra you had pay for that. You could just get a simple portrait shot or you could go all out and do the whole holding diploma or posing with props thing. But yep. Entire school districts would be contracted through one company. They liked to keep the yearbooks uniform basically.

10 years 5 months ago #313711 by Stealthy Ninja
Wait, there's a different market for school photos (like official ones for schools) and photos "Seniors" get of themselves to remember what they looked like (I assume this is why), right?

I'm not too familiar with the phenomenon of senior photos. It's not really a thing in Australia or Hong Kong.
10 years 5 months ago #313731 by garyrhook

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Wait, there's a different market for school photos (like official ones for schools) and photos "Seniors" get of themselves to remember what they looked like (I assume this is why), right?

Correct. Senior portraits have nothing to do with school pictures. If Wayne wants to do senior portraits he should research how to start that kind of business (there are lots of ideas on the interwebs). But it shouldn't be done at the high school.

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #314169 by StephanieW
Strange. Ok. Well, the companies I worked with in the bay area California did both. Maybe it's a regional thing, but we covered schools in the San Jose/San Francisco/Marin County areas. So I guess my experience is just those three specific rival companies (I worked for 2/3 of them) in that specific region. Sorry. But they definitely did both there. The companies that did the senior pictures versus yearbook pictures had different names, but had the same "parent" company. I hate to be argumentative, but these were my employers so while maybe this doesn't work elsewhere, it worked like that where I was employed

10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #314173 by StephanieW
double post sorry

10 years 5 months ago #314359 by Josh Jofoto
I would think social media is going to be your best friend here. Does your school have any sort of offsite sporting events, better yet have you tried other schools around where you grew up?

Canon 7D | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L | 70-200 f/4 L | 580 EX II

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024