New York Times featured photo taken by an iPhone on cover?

10 years 5 months ago #313445 by Craig Stone
I think this headline sums this one up "Traditional Photographers Should Be Horrified By The Cover Of Today's New York Times"

This is an older article I just found in case you have seen it before. I can see why this caught so much attention, the photo is horrible. If NYTimes was looking to stir up emotions with photographers, I bet they did.

www.businessinsider.com/photographers-us...2013-3#ixzz2lliTCK5U

Photo Comments
Attachments:
10 years 5 months ago #313521 by Drew Fletcher
That photo is pretty bad. I'm not a big Instagram user at all.

Nikon D700 | 24-70mm | 14-24mm | 105mm
Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #313603 by StephanieW
I was expecting it to be some sort of shot of like a disaster or super rare event. Not a portrait! i think cell phone photography has it's uses. It's great for taking of pictures of things on the fly and if this was some sort of incident like that I wouldn't have batted an eye. You gotta use what you have when the moment strikes. You can plan a portrait well in advance, though. I can't say I'm surprised though.

10 years 5 months ago #313653 by Paris Gal
:blink: I don't care for this image at all

5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #313717 by Stealthy Ninja
Come on you guys. Actually take away the crappy sepia effect and perhaps vignetting and it's not bad. They guy took time to get the lighting right, which is the most important thing.

Original:

Attempt to save it from instagram hell:

Honestly, the guy seems to know how to light and pose etc. pity he decided to do something crappy like use a freakin' iPhone just to be famous or for attention. The grain in the background is shocking and the effect just makes the people look like crap.

I think this is one of those things where "uneducated people" will think it looks cool (which explains the instagram filter fad) because they don't realise the WB is totally wrong and they're not looking at the grain etc. Though put it next to a better edited photo (exact same pose etc.) and they'll (hopefully) see what's so wrong with it.

One time a non-photographer friend and I had an editing competition. We edited a bunch of her photos and she showed them too her friends and family to compare my editing to hers (and get a vote). I won... quite easily... just sayin'
Attachments:
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #313737 by icepics
The originals look better than what was reposted by another publication, and - the photos were taken in the bathroom. www.nicklaham.com/blog/?p=630

That's how it is shooting sports, sometimes you have to find a way to get it done (not that I've ever taken photos in the bathroom of a locker room! but I've done sports and sometimes had to make something work, with whatever was available).

Sharon
Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #313743 by Stealthy Ninja

icepics wrote: That's how it is shooting sports, sometimes you have to find a way to get it done (not that I've ever taken photos in the bathroom of a locker room! but I've done sports and sometimes had to make something work, with whatever was available).

This isn't sports. This is a portrait session.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024