Photographing in department stores

10 years 5 months ago #315103 by Luca
I was just told not to take photos while I was in a Macys home store. I was taking photos of furniture and just thought this was not right :S

I have never been asked to not take photos

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #315131 by effron
Well, its their property, no?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #315147 by garyrhook
There was another thread about this a while back.

It's private property, and it's their merchandise. Why would you think you have any right to take photographs at all, without permission?

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #315185 by StephanieW
I'm assuming with an actual camera and not a cell phone? People rarely have problems taking pictures with cell phones but you whip out your dslr and people get weird sometimes. Why were you taking pictures of the furniture if I may ask? Because couches and stuff aren't exactly the most exciting subject matter and the staff might not have understood why you were doing it. Heck, I don't understand really.

10 years 5 months ago #315243 by Luca
I should have clarified earlier, it was with my cell phone. I was taking a photo of a few items to send to my wife so to see what she thinks. If it was with a DSLR, yes I can understand why I might get approached. But this case, I thought it was wrong. I even showed the rep, the photos and showed the text messages showing the messages to my wife and the photos of the couches and glasses I was interested in.

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #315255 by Ulrich Brodde
The reason, why photographing usually is not allowed in department stores, supermarkets etc. is that the management does not want to give opportunity to thieves to work out plans which things might be interesting to steal and how they can do it best.
With photos it is easier to plan the best moments to steal (how many employees are working at which time), plan escape ways, knowing where are observation cameras etc.

As nobody can differ always in normal customers, being interested like Luca, and the others mentioned above, photographing is not allowed generally.

And yes, also heavy sofas, chairs, TVs and other stuff is stolen in department stores.
10 years 5 months ago #315275 by Hassner
Although theft is a BIG problem in South Africa, staff is normally very understanding and knows when you are taking wide shots or product shots.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #315483 by icepics
In my area there are department stores that have signs posted at the entrances that say photography is no allowed. As others said it's their product/merchandise and up to them what policies they establish.

Sharon
Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #315513 by I shoot RAW
I've never had any issues with taking photos inside stores. Matter of fact this is how my wife and I communicate often when shopping. Might have been a clerk just in a bad mood.

Wasn't me :)
Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #315717 by Joves
Well it is not only stores but malls as well. And it is their right to restrict all activities on their property. There are also other reasons such as worrying about competitors shooting displays, and such. It happens.

10 years 5 months ago #316153 by Silver Fox
Joves makes a good point. Now personally I have not experienced this, perhaps it was just a rep who was feeling the need to be a pain

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #316647 by StephanieW
Wow, cell phone photography? Yeah, they have a right to do that, but I text pictures of items to people all the time. It's their right, sure, but sometimes I like to coordinate purchases with people. Weird. :/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024