What is your technique when approaching a stranger to take their photo?

10 years 5 months ago #316031 by JaneK
This time of the day, it's all about the forum games on PT. One post caught my attention and is the root of this post. Tuscan Muse answered another persons post with a comment about not being shy when taking a strangers photo. This has always been awkward moments for me. What is really strange is that I'm a social butterfly, but when I have camera in my hand and I don't know the person, I have a tough time muttering any sort of statements that should represent a request to take a photo. I'd like to take the opportunity while this topic is fresh, and see how others approach a complete stranger to request taking their photo.

How do you do it?

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #316065 by Scott Klubeck
I just ask them, something like this: "Would you mind if I take your photo?" and after I take the photo, I will show them the photo and give them my business card if they want me to email them copy of it.

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #316115 by Ulrich Brodde
Stranger as part of a scene on the street? - I do the shot and that´s it.
In ten years of photography and hundreds or even more shots on the streets only one time the person told me to eliminate the photo.
I apologized, eliminated the photo, end of the story.

Stranger of whom I want to do some portrait-shots? If I speak his language I smile, go to him and ask if I am allowed to do some shots, do the shots then, say thank you and asks if he/she has an e-mail account. If yes, I give him my name-card and ask him to send a short mail if he/she would like to have copies of the photos. Normally the say yes, but only abt. 10% of the people ever send a mail and ask for the photos. People, living here and I saw several time at the same places (market, harbour) and of whom I shot portraits, usually get prints after some days. So already I earned big salaries like a bottle of wine, potatoes, fresh fish and bananas :)

If I don´t speak the language I smile, show my camera, show an asking face and normally people understand and nod in agreement (in India they shake their head for agreement :) )
10 years 5 months ago #316123 by Tuscan Muse
I have a different approach, depending on whether the person that I want to photograph speaks English. If they speak Engish, I ask permission and I add that I am trying to become a better photographer. This usually helps, because people are typically glad to help someone improve their skills. I also give them my card and offer to email them a copy of the image. As Ulrich said, I don't hear from many of them, but when I do get a request I am prompt in sending the photo and a thank you email. I have had a few people ask, "Why did you choose me?" I always say something positive when I answer, "You are handsome!", "Your picture will be wonderful!", etc. Flattery will get you everywhere.

I can usually sense whether a person would be happy to have a photo taken. I look to see if they are in a hurry or busy and I try not to bother those people at all. I have only been refused one time for a photo and that was by a mom that did not want me to take a picture of her toddler eating ice cream. I told her that I understood and thanked her anyway.

In a foreign country, I always learn how to say "permission" in the language that is spoken in that country. I use the word and point to my camera and then to the person with a big grin on my face. I take a few shots and then show them the best one in my viewfinder and exclaim, "bellissimo" or the equavalent word in their language. I also give them a card. I show them my email address, point to my camera and point back to them. They usually understand that I am saying that I will send them a copy.
10 years 5 months ago #316127 by Ulrich Brodde

Ulrich Brodde wrote: Stranger as part of a scene on the street? - I do the shot and that´s it.

I forgot to write: Homeless people, asking for some money and drunken people, sleeping on the street are "off limit".
10 years 5 months ago #316151 by Joves

Ulrich Brodde wrote:

Ulrich Brodde wrote: Stranger as part of a scene on the street? - I do the shot and that´s it.

I forgot to write: Homeless people, asking for some money and drunken people, sleeping on the street are "off limit".

I used to do the just shoot it when I lived in a major metropolitan area. The honest truth is in busy streets people do not notice you, unless you are an in the face type. Makes for nice candid shots. As for the homeless I have shot them as well. To me getting the good to the worst in life is all a part of it.

10 years 5 months ago #316231 by Shane H
This is good topic for me right now. I have been working on my street photography and how to approach people. This was a very good click, thank you all for your insight.

10 years 5 months ago #316637 by StephanieW
I'm so horrible at this because I hate getting my picture taken. if somebody took a picture of me on the street I'd be freaked out and this is even with a strong appreciation of street photography. The only time I've taken people's pictures outside of a portrait setting is in situations where there are a lot of other photographers present. I'd like to get better at this though as I do a lot of traveling so thanks for all the tips from the pros :)

10 years 5 months ago #316681 by Ian Stone
So many nuggets of good ideas here. Good post

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #316685 by Stealthy Ninja
Just take the photo. Smile if they notice you.

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024