Astronomy Camera?

13 years 4 months ago #25648 by allen.k.fisher
What type of cameras do professional astronomers use to photograph the Universe? Obviously what we buy to use everyday isn't going to cut it.

13 years 4 months ago #25709 by Baydream
All depends on what kinds of photographs they are taking. A DSLR can get you some nice broad shots. Some Use an SLR with a special eyepiece mount on their telescopes and some use mega cameras. Many of the deep space photos are taken with radio telescopes.
Check out Tony Rowell's site. He is the son of the late Galen Rowell.
www.tonyrowell.com/articles/article06.shtml

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #25716 by Stealthy Ninja
Actually I'd say the lens/telescope is more the deciding factor.
13 years 4 months ago #25790 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #25951 by Joves
Well in the good old days when we used film it was hypered or cooked ISO400 film and your camera mounted to the telescope. Now there are many manufacturers of affordable CCD cameras that mount on your telescope. A freind of mine and I built a cook book CCD camera when a large sensor was 1 Mega Pixel and cost around $1K for the good ones. Now you get far more for a couple of hundred. As was said you can get an adapter for your telescope to mount your camera. If you are using a Newtonian type scope then you will need to move your mirror assmebly to Prime Focus or, you will get nothing for images. If you have a Catropodic scoe then they are made for astrophotgraphy with no modification. With a Newtonian you can also shoot afocally or through the eyepiece as well but you need to make a supporting device for the camera to space the camera lens, preferably a 50mm at infinty, and the telescope eyepiece. I have shot this way for years, when I was doing it. With the moon and the sun, if you have a quality Solar Filter, you can actually just hold the camera to the eyepiece and focus. Here is a shot of a partial eclipse that I did with a P&S held up to my 8" f/6 home built newt with a 25mm eyepiece, makes for 48x.

13 years 3 months ago #33233 by vampyre
From what I've read, astronomers no longer use cameras in the sense we know them. They yse radio telescopes. Most big telescopes, nowadays, don't even have eye pieces. The data is collected on computers and then analyzed.

13 years 3 months ago #33235 by maniposa
Astronomers are getting further and further out into space. Cameras are actually useless if used to photograph a str or a galaxie over a billion light years away. Most astronomers spend the better part of their careers leaing over a computer studying images downloaded from satellites and the Hubble telescope.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

Wedding photography trends come and go, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t exciting at the moment! This year’s top trends include old and new technologies and techniques to create lasting memories.

Jun 09, 2024

The Sony ZV-1 Mark II is a nice update to the ZV-1 and expands Sony’s lineup of cameras for vlogging and content creation. Is it the right camera for you, though? Let’s find out!

Jun 09, 2024

Having a solid client management system allows you to build a more sustainable business with a larger number of repeat clients. But how do you do that? Let’s find out!

Jun 05, 2024

Canyon photography is an interesting niche of landscape photography that has some distinct challenges like harsh light and shadows. But with the right preparation, you can capture epic shots!

Jun 04, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The process is actually quite straightforward if you want to print from iPhone. But, if you need a little guidance, this guide is what you need! Dive in and learn how to print smartphone photos!

Jun 04, 2024

The Fuji X-T5 is a mid-range camera ideal for beginners who need a high-powered camera body to professionals looking for a solid second camera - and many uses in between!

Jun 03, 2024