ABANDONED BUILDINGS

10 years 4 months ago #327321 by PixieBlue
Thank you for you feedback Joves, I'm taking in to consideration all the responses to this thread; I never thought about asbestos so I'll need to find a mask that blocks those particles. I will try not to touch or disturb anything as to not stir anything up.

I say that the Gray Lady is a must hit for 2014! I would really like to see images of that place!

Happy New Year,
Amy

10 years 4 months ago #327327 by PixieBlue
Great point! Secure my gear first and keep my ears and eyes open during the "run through".
So far I'm taking my brother with me, he can be pretty intimating....everyone else says it's too creepy for them.

Happy New Year,
Amy

10 years 4 months ago #327329 by PixieBlue
That's great! I don't own any firearms, but I do have pepper spray and actually used it about 17 years ago; it did the job, the guy dropped like he was hot....and he was.

Happy New Year,
Amy

10 years 4 months ago #327425 by Vincent
Pepper spray is no joke :rofl:

Nikon D700 | 14-24mm f/2.8G ED | 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II | (2) SB-900
Photo Comments
10 years 4 months ago #327457 by Stealthy Ninja

JHoward wrote: Run down buildings provide shelter for drifters, drug users, and random trouble makers.

PixieBlue IS a random trouble maker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PixieBlue
10 years 4 months ago #327501 by Hoss

Hassner wrote: Hi Amy, there is a few friends on Flickr that frequent those places.

www.flickr.com/photos/matdur69

www.flickr.com/photos/e-strella/

Have fun!

Great examples :goodpost:

Photo Comments
10 years 4 months ago #327503 by StephanieW
Another UrbEx thread! I love these. :) It's one of my favorite types of photography as I also love photographing old run down things. The official term for this is "Urban Exploring" and there are huge communities online dedicated to this type of photography adventure. I haven't entered old abandoned buildings myself simply because I fear being arrested, but I'm a strong appreciator of the fearless folks who cross those no trespassing signs to get these incredible pictures. I only take pictures of old things that are legal to enter, which means I haven't been as adventurous as some of you guys. Maybe one day I'll get over my whole "fear of arrest" thing lol

All the advice in this thread is great in regards to safety, but I want to add one thing that is more of a rule in the UrbEx community. Don't touch anything. Leave everything how it is. I doubt you'd be the type to do this, but don't tag things or take back souvenirs. Photograph the place, then leave. That said, have fun and I look forward to your photographs! :)

10 years 4 months ago #327513 by Stealthy Ninja

Hassner wrote: Hi Amy, there is a few friends on Flickr that frequent those places.

www.flickr.com/photos/matdur69

www.flickr.com/photos/e-strella/

Have fun!

"Renovators Delight" all of them.
10 years 4 months ago #327643 by PixieBlue
Yeah, especially if you're on the receiving end! ;)

10 years 4 months ago #327653 by PixieBlue
Thank you Stephanie for the important reminder to respect the space....touch nothing, take nothing.
That's the cool thing about photography; you get to freeze and hold a place or moment in time, and very rarely will it be duplicated (unless you're in the studio). Every shot is unique.

I had no idea there is a vast interest of UrbEx, however, I guess pretty much everything exists on the "World Wide Web." BTW, taking, "pictures of old things that are legal," is great too, and not to mention, safer. :)

10 years 4 months ago #327657 by PixieBlue
Yeah, Ninja....You can just call me, PixieRandomTroubleMakerBlue. At least "trouble" is gentler than "chaos." :)

10 years 4 months ago #327717 by Don Fischer
Love it. When I was a kid we lived out on Long Island, N.Y. Out my brother's bedroom window we could see the light's of Pilgrim State Asylum. We'd go look at it after dark and would have night mares every time! Most old crumbled down building like that, especially asylum's are gonna have spook story's and the people telling them will have a good first hand experience to tell you about! There could certainly be homeless people in the one your thinking about and just for that reason I'd take along a couple friends. Wanna have a hoot? Do it after dark. Use a flashlight to find the photo's you want and shoot them with a flash. The flashlight will give off enough light to focus by. When your done be sure and come back here and tell some stories!

10 years 4 months ago #327869 by StephanieW

PixieBlue wrote: Thank you Stephanie for the important reminder to respect the space....touch nothing, take nothing.
That's the cool thing about photography; you get to freeze and hold a place or moment in time, and very rarely will it be duplicated (unless you're in the studio). Every shot is unique.

I had no idea there is a vast interest of UrbEx, however, I guess pretty much everything exists on the "World Wide Web." BTW, taking, "pictures of old things that are legal," is great too, and not to mention, safer. :)

Oh yes, it's quite huge. Here are some resources:

Basic info: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_exploration
Website with forum: www.uer.ca/
Sub Reddit: www.reddit.com/r/urbanexploration
Social Network; www.urbanexplorers.net/

I used to see a lot of posts on the Something Awful forums but I haven't been on those forums in like 2-3 years and they don't really have a specific section for them. They just sort of pop up on their general forum. That's where I first got the interest in this though. :)

Good luck! I'm excited for you.

10 years 4 months ago #327897 by Scotty
where's all the pics? :kmonst:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
10 years 4 months ago #327905 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote: where's all the pics? :kmonst:

OP died. :banana:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024