Nikon could be out of business in 5 years?

10 years 4 months ago #327855 by Tristan R
After reading another post here talking about what companies will be around in 5 years, I decided to dig around the net and surprised at this article - business.financialpost.com/2013/10/05/po...rry/?__lsa=b16f-3c70

They make some good points, or at least ones that are plausible. Considering the trends and current sales, this is scary for us Nikon users.

Photo Comments
10 years 4 months ago #327895 by Scotty
I wouldn't read too much into it.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #327909 by Stealthy Ninja
The article seems to think Megapixels are all people care about... which is true of many people who are willing to use a mobile phone as their main camera.

There will always be photographers not willing to compromise quality. Nikon/Canon will just have to adjust slightly. Maybe bring out a NikonPhone to boost revenue lol.

I have 3 camera systems at the moment, each used for different purposes:
1. Mobile Phone = for stuff I don't care too much about and just want a memory.
2. Portable every day camera = for things I want good quality for, but I'm not getting paid.
3. Professional System = for camera outings or times I'm getting paid.
10 years 4 months ago #327913 by Vespista

Stealthy Ninja wrote: The article seems to think Megapixels are all people care about... which is true of many people who are willing to use a mobile phone as their main camera.

There will always be photographers not willing to compromise quality. Nikon/Canon will just have to adjust slightly. Maybe bring out a NikonPhone to boost revenue lol.

I have 3 camera systems at the moment, each used for different purposes:
1. Mobile Phone = for stuff I don't care too much about and just want a memory.
2. Portable every day camera = for things I want good quality for, but I'm not getting paid.
3. Professional System = for camera outings or times I'm getting paid.

Well said Adrian - good post!
:judge:

Photo Comments
10 years 4 months ago #327927 by effron
There have been "experts" predicting Nikon's doom for decades. Probably on Canon's payroll. However, if they were gone tomorrow, does my current gear stop functioning?.....I'll lose no sleep.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: renanpaiva
10 years 4 months ago #328119 by Rudy Sosa
WOW! :blink:

Photo Comments
10 years 4 months ago #328137 by Colene
I don't think they will go out of business. Hopefully they rather see this as a challenge to improve and to compete with the upcoming markets.

10 years 3 months ago #328203 by Jim Photo
:agree: I don't think Nikon is going anywhere. But then again, I would have said the same about Kodak 10 years ago :blink:

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #328229 by Joves

effron wrote: There have been "experts" predicting Nikon's doom for decades. Probably on Canon's payroll. However, if they were gone tomorrow, does my current gear stop functioning?.....I'll lose no sleep.....

:rofl:
Yeah I have seen that as well. These people write such articles to sensationalize something to get readership. They are usually talking out of their rears.

10 years 3 months ago #328431 by No Show
Good example with Kodak, however Nikon is much larger company

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #328449 by Stealthy Ninja

Jim Photo wrote: :agree: I don't think Nikon is going anywhere. But then again, I would have said the same about Kodak 10 years ago :blink:

I could have predicted Kodak going out of business 10 years ago. That's when digital was getting more popular and even then Kodak wasn't keeping up.
10 years 3 months ago #328477 by effron

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Jim Photo wrote: :agree: I don't think Nikon is going anywhere. But then again, I would have said the same about Kodak 10 years ago :blink:

I could have predicted Kodak going out of business 10 years ago. That's when digital was getting more popular and even then Kodak wasn't keeping up.

I'd only be worried about Nikon if it were an American firm. The Japanese are less stupid, at business and especially gubmint levels.... :angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #328555 by JaneK
I can hardly imagine a leader like Nikon disappearing. That would be a sad day!

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #329465 by Cathy Kadolph
Is there any record of how many cameras that Canon and Nikon manufacture each year?  

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up." Pablo Picasso
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #329621 by Stealthy Ninja

effron wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

I'd only be worried about Nikon if it were an American firm. The Japanese are less stupid, at business and especially gubmint levels.... :angry:

Nikon's too big to fail?! :patriot:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Baydream

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024