Asking for permission of people that you are photographing on the street

10 years 3 months ago #328669 by Jeff Dutton
I was digging around some older post here  to find out if I need to ask for permission from every single person that might end up in a photo that I take from the street.  I'm sure there are people who wouldn't like to be in photos that were taken with out their permission.  So are you asking people every time?  Or does this really apply to those that are the main focal point of the photo?  

Appreciate the answers

Jeff 

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #328707 by Joves
Short answer nope.
Longer answer if they see me and get that offensive look then I let them get out of the way. If they get obnoxious then I shoot anyhow. They are in a public area so they have no expectation of privacy.

10 years 3 months ago #328775 by Eric A
Public space is free game

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #329227 by effron

Joves wrote: Short answer nope.
Longer answer if they see me and get that offensive look then I let them get out of the way. If they get obnoxious then I shoot anyhow. They are in a public area so they have no expectation of privacy.

Yup. Don't overlook the un-forseen. I was photographing a dragonfly in a park one day, my wife was with me, (Carries my tripod) and a mother got in my face believing I was sneak photographing her kids playing nearby. Wasn't too bad until she called me a pedofyle, at which time I took to protecting the stupid woman from my wife, wielding the tripod. Just for good measure, when I finally got the silly mommie to leave, I put on a non macro lens and followed her taking pictures constantly, just to tick her off.... 
 Silly event, but if you are going to do street photography, be prepared for anything......:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #329295 by Josh Jofoto
Oh yes, the power of a zoom lens. :silly:   Now granted I don't do a lot of street photography.  When the shots are just general shots, I don't ask for permission, after all we are in public space.  However if I feel a shot might be something I would like to submit to magazine, I would ask them. 

Canon 7D | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L | 70-200 f/4 L | 580 EX II
10 years 3 months ago #329527 by Tuscan Muse
Ask for permission, when possible. 
10 years 3 months ago #329595 by Stealthy Ninja
If you're doing street portraits then permission is nice.

If you're doing candids, then permission is just going to make them look unnatural and posed.
10 years 3 months ago #329623 by StephanieW
I'm so bad about this because I hate being in pictures myself. I always avoid it whenever possible though I'm probably in more family photo albums and vacation pictures than I care to know about. Therefore whenever I'm taking pictures in public I tend to avoid people just because I'm awkward on the other side of the camera about it and can kind of relate. When people are in a shot, though, and it either works with them in it or I just don't have the patience to wait for them to leave I just snap away without asking. If it's in public, it's fair game, albeit a bit awkward for me.

10 years 3 months ago #329673 by Kenya See
Street photography is all about being candid and unexpected, it I get a really good shot, after the fact.  I'll show the person ask them and get permission then.  I will offer to send them a copy of the photo too.  

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #329779 by icepics
There's a difference between taking a photo and how you intend to use it. Usually a photo release would not be needed for editorial use but it may be requested from the photographer. Typically a release is needed for commercial use and possibly for retail use. You could look at sites like ASMP's for info. on releases and usage.

I think if you're going to be out and about taking people's photos it will be necessary to become good at interacting with them, especially if you'll need to ask permission for usage. 

Sharon
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #329807 by Ulrich Brodde
Shooting on the street I follow no rules but my feeling.
I shoot and sometimes ask for permission to use the photo afterwards if I have the feeling I should. But rather often I don´t ask. For close-up portraits I ask.
The worse what happened to me happend when I photographed a group of people on a fleamarket. They have been illegal and didn´t aprreciate very much to be seen on a photo. Has been a bit dangerous first but I showed how I cancelled the pics on the chip and then they calmed down.

Look, how Bruce Gilden, a "Magnum" photographer, works on the street
10 years 3 months ago #330091 by Jim Photo

Tuscan Muse wrote: Ask for permission, when possible. 

:agree: Exactly

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #330533 by Farestad
I'll ask if I know I will send to get published, otherwise click away

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #330871 by StephanieW

Ulrich Brodde wrote: Shooting on the street I follow no rules but my feeling.
I shoot and sometimes ask for permission to use the photo afterwards if I have the feeling I should. But rather often I don´t ask. For close-up portraits I ask.
The worse what happened to me happend when I photographed a group of people on a fleamarket. They have been illegal and didn´t aprreciate very much to be seen on a photo. Has been a bit dangerous first but I showed how I cancelled the pics on the chip and then they calmed down.

Look, how Bruce Gilden, a "Magnum" photographer, works on the street

That video freaked me out.  I would probably be rude to someone who got in my face like that unexpectedly.  I understand that you have to do what you have to do to get a shot and her certainly has a lot of unique shots, but I had having my picture taken.  Being accidentally in a shot is one thing, but he is taking extremely close up pictures of individuals with no warning.  Still, there's nothing illegal about it.  It's a public place.  He can do what he likes.  But wow, I would freak out if that happened to me.

10 years 3 months ago #331033 by Ulrich Brodde

StephanieW wrote: ..... Still, there's nothing illegal about it......

In Germany, Italy and Switzerland officially it would be illegal to publish these photos without allowance.
There is a law, named "right to their own image". But theory and practice can differ :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024