Photography workshop question

10 years 3 months ago #330003 by TCooper
I'm looking at photography workshops and trying to determine where I want to go this year.  For your own preference, what is the largest size workshop you'll attend?  At some point if there is one instructor and XX number of people, your time with the instructor becomes a small slice of the pie.  Some of the workshops I have been looking at have upwards of 20 even one I found had 35 people.  That seems rather high.  

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #330047 by Tuscan Muse
Hi TCooper,

Since you've asked.....

Tuscan Muse hosts Photography Workshops in Tuscany, Italy. The number of our workshop participants is always limited to no more that 15.  Typically, our workshop size is from 10-12 participants. We limit the size for exactly the reasons that you have mentioned.  We want our participants to get as much individualized attention as they want or need.  We have 4 photography workshops on the agenda this year:

Tuscan Exposure - taught by Bryan Pereira, a member of PT - June 1- June 11
http://tuscanmuse.com/index.php/workshops-tours/tuscan-exposure

Through a Tuscan Lens- taught by Ulrich Brodde, a member of PT- October 4-14
http://tuscanmuse.com/index.php/workshops-tours/through-a-tuscan-lens

Maximum Exposure- also taught by Bryan Pereira- October 17-26 (limited to 8 participants)
http://tuscanmuse.com/index.php/workshops-tours/maximum-exposure

Plated Stories- A Food Writing and Food Photography Workshop
http://tuscanmuse.com/index.php/workshops-tours/plated-stories

For more info on Tuscan Muse, the workshops and instructors: http://tuscanmuse.com

Please feel free to contact me privately with any questions: [email protected]

Thank you,
Linda at Tuscan Muse
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #330053 by Exposure Tours
TCooper you are right about workshop sizes.  You will find the companies with the largest groups tend to be after one thing... making money!  they are not concerned with helping you develop your own style, getting to grips with a technique (at your own pace) or assisting you build your business plan

All the tours at www.exposuretours.com including a Tuscany tour with  Linda at Tuscan Muse are in the range of 6-8 photographers so you are always guaranteed 1:1 time with an instructor, our tour vehicles on safari are limited to a maximum of 2 photographers, so you never have to 'run with the crowd'

Take a look at the site, let me know if you would like some more details
all the best
b
10 years 3 months ago #330093 by Ulrich Brodde
Specially in the market of centerfold or erotic photography also here in Europe you can find workshops with 30 and even more participants. I think I don´t need to explain why.
No serious instructor can tell me that he is able to give sufficient informations to the participants if so many photographers take part in a workshop.
For me as an instructor for a 6 - 8 hours workshop the maximum are 10 participants, for a 10-days workshop like the one in Tuscany where I am together with the group for 12 hours per day and more, a maximum of 15 is no problem. There is time enough to answer individual questions and to solve individual problems.
Best of course is a personal coaching alone with the trainer, then in two or three hours you can learn more than in a workshop of 8 hours with 10 participants.
10 years 3 months ago #330133 by icepics
Well now that you've heard a word from our sponsors, I've taken workshops in photography, crafts or art, etc. (as well as ones in my field of work in child development). For the ones in art or photography it seems to depend on the workshop but 20-30 seems typical in my area.

The ones I've taken usually had time spent in instruction and as the workshop goes along more time is spent with working on projects. During that time the instructor would usually go around and talk to participants about what they were working on, answer questions, give you feedback, etc. There was usually a good bit of us all talking to each other too about what we were working on and toss around ideas or suggestions etc.

I've found a good bit in my area thru adult or evening/continuing ed. departments of colleges, or community centers, or local art centers, etc. It probably depends on where you live what's available.

Sharon
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #330181 by Tuscan Muse

icepics wrote:  There was usually a good bit of us all talking to each other too about what we were working on and toss around ideas or suggestions etc.

I would like to add that the critique involved from fellow photographers in a workshop setting is a wonderful learning tool, as well as inspirational. I have also been thrilled to see the comaraderie among the photographers in our workshops, many of whom become lifelong friends.
10 years 3 months ago #330191 by tCampbell
I agree, larger workshops you will be lost in the shuffle.  I won't go on one that is larger than 12 to 15 people.  Well it depends on the price.  But if I'm looking for one on one time with the instructor, 15+ people will be a fight of elbows.  If I'm just going for the experience and the price is super low, I might consider even though I won't get a lot of time with instructors.  Really though, I would prefer the smaller groups. 

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tuscan Muse
10 years 3 months ago #330265 by MYoung
If I'm paying for a workshop, I don't want to be fighting for attention.  I wouldn't want to be in a larger group either.  I'm just saying.

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #330503 by Garbo
If you are traveling any sort of distance, size of workshop absolutely matters.  I don't want to feel like I'm the odd ball in the back of the class because there is swarm of others trying to get their monies worth too.  When I go to workshops, I want to enjoy the trip and not have to fight for attention. 

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #330515 by Exposure Tours
One last piece of advice - when your comparing costs, group size, workshops, etc make sure to read the fine print, one very well know media company and publisher  (i think you the one) lists entry fees and park fees separately, it might not appear to be a big deal but this would add another $1200 if you were looking to do a photo safari.  I find creating a comparison table is the best way to work these things out.
10 years 3 months ago #330659 by EOS Man

Exposure Tours wrote: One last piece of advice - when your comparing costs, group size, workshops, etc make sure to read the fine print, one very well know media company and publisher  (i think you the one) lists entry fees and park fees separately, it might not appear to be a big deal but this would add another $1200 if you were looking to do a photo safari.  I find creating a comparison table is the best way to work these things out.

National Geographic?

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #330673 by Exposure Tours
They have some of my pictures so I really shouldn't say anything!
;-)
10 years 3 months ago #330683 by EOS Man

Exposure Tours wrote: They have some of my pictures so I really shouldn't say anything!
;-)

It's all good, thanks for the tip on fine print :thumbsup:

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #330687 by Exposure Tours
I can flip you a comparison table offline for the top 10 companies if your interested, just drop me an email 
cheers
b

[email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024