Do you take cell phone photography seriously or do you see it as gimmick more for consumers?

10 years 3 months ago #340613 by garyrhook

Lotsashots wrote: You must 'Log In' in order to look up individual photographers- so log in and you'll see 3 horizontal bars to the left of the words VIEW BUG up in the lefthand corner... Click on the bars, scroll down, click on MEMBERS, enter my nondescript screen name "Lotsashots" and then you'll have access to my wall :)

I'm always logged in; on my menus it's under Photos for some odd reason. I'm guessing you are referring to the mobile version (meh) which I never use.

Yes, the shot is clearly better (PT does compress images when uploaded here, sadly) but there's still detectable graininess. On the plus side it's sharp (at least the nose) so detail is evident.

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #340951 by Garbo

Baydream wrote:

Lotsashots wrote: When I got my new iphone5 the guy in the Apple store said "the camera's so good, professional photographers use it".
This left me thinking that this guy obviously has zero appreciation for good photography!

That being said..it is a great camera for what it is (a point & shoot). Check out my Avatar photo, I took it with my phone, but if I'm headed out to try and capture some good shots, I'm using my Nikon, not my phone.

He may be talking about Dewitt Jones. Jones has done an entire series of photos using an iPhone. Many are fine for online viewing. Many of his "Celebrate" photos are iPhone products. www.dewittjones.com/celebrate.htm

Dewitt Jones is a incredibly talented photographer.  Good example 

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #341033 by Joves
No more seriously than the old Instamatic/Polaroids photos in the film days. While yes they are getting better at capturing images. so are the Dslrs, and medium format cameras as well. So it will always be a wash. I only have a Dslr myself, and my phone is strictly a phone, I always carry my camera for the times when I see something.
The only time the phone camera people bother me is when they claim that you do not need a legitimate camera anymore. Well any of the you do not need this, or that types on anything really.

10 years 2 months ago #341299 by Dana Leeson
I used my cell phone yesterday for some photos

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #341493 by Margaret-Marty
Here's the thing.   I have taken some really wonderfully composed pictures with my cell phone.  I believe that by understanding the shortcomings with my phone, I was forced to work harder to get a good picture.  Yes it's low res, not super crisp but the picture was still there.  I think sometimes I grew so much as a photographer because I didn't have all the technology to make great pictures.  Just a box with a shutter.  I was forced to learn basic skills in composition ( the Golden Rule) because there was no saving it.  Would I use them today for serious work, no; but I would never discourage someone using one.  We all had to start with something.  I still have my little Samsung point and shoot becuase I learned so much with it.  And I still have a cell phone with a camera.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024