Do you take cell phone photography seriously or do you see it as gimmick more for consumers?

10 years 3 months ago #339445 by Wayne Tidwell
So strange, on most forums people who take cell phone photography seriously get laughed at.  I'm part of the younger generation so actually find a lot of use from taking photos with my phone.  Sometimes it's just a nice break from my D700.  I was curious on the subject and did some searching and even found articles like this one:  www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2012/no...ography-richard-gray that show it's on a rise.  Yet on many boards, it's frowned on.  What do you think?

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #339509 by garyrhook
Even for the "very best" images, IMO, a cell phone photograph is, at best, a poor quality capture of sometimes a nice moment.

In other words, despite the subject, they look like hell. I've yet to see an exception to that.

In general, cell phone images are blurry, poorly exposed, and have inappropriate and unattractive focal lengths; iPads/tablets are even worse. The devices have appeared to contribute to the lower of the standards of reasonable image quality. Good luck proving otherwise. :S

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #339527 by StephanieW
I enjoy cell phone photography for certain things. I enjoy using it for quick captures of moments where I don't have my camera with me. I don't lug my fancy camera everywhere because I fear damage or theft and it's just too cumbersome sometimes. And heck, I admit I use things like the Hipstamatic app (I know, for shame) or my panorama app to post neat looking pictures on Facebook and Twitter. When I got somewhere that I'm intending to get good shots, though, I wouldn't rely on my cell phone as my primary camera. I feel like cell phone photography definitely has it's uses just like poloroids did. It's quick, easily accessible, and fun. I just feel like for more important things a good DSLR has more capabilities and better results.

I do think the age gap is interesting. I'm 27. I'm sort of between the younger people who rely on it almost exclusively and the older people who want to reject it entirely. For the record, when I'm speaking about age groups I'm being general. I'm sure there are some older photographers who have embraced cell phone photography just as there are some young people who are exclusively DSLR. But in general I think you can narrow down the opinions by age and I find myself straddling the line between them quite often.

10 years 3 months ago #339735 by effron
I take very little seriously, and a camera phone is no exception......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #339809 by Tristan R
I use my cell phone for photos, but most of the time it's just 'for fun' photos when I'm out goofing around with my family and friends 

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #339819 by Hassner
In film days we used to take photos with plastic cameras (with plastic lenses) for a certain "feel". Cell phones had that quality. But the quality of top end phones improved so, that you need to put SLR and cell photos side by side to tell which is which. In a few years people will search for older phones to get that cell phone look that we frown upon today.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #339961 by Wayne Tidwell
Have any of you tried that iPro lens system? 

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #340063 by Lotsashots
When I got my new iphone5 the guy in the Apple store said "the camera's so good, professional photographers use it".
This left me thinking that this guy obviously has zero appreciation for good photography!

That being said..it is a great camera for what it is (a point & shoot). Check out my Avatar photo, I took it with my phone, but if I'm headed out to try and capture some good shots, I'm using my Nikon, not my phone.

10 years 3 months ago #340085 by garyrhook

Lotsashots wrote: Check out my Avatar photo, I took it with my phone

And not to be unkind, but I see a grainy, blurry image with an odd focal length which is neither portrait style nor wide angle/fish eye.

But that's just me.

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #340241 by Tim Dordeck
I see no problem with using a cell phone for photos for fun occasions.  If I'm getting paid, absolutely not.    

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #340287 by Baydream

Lotsashots wrote: When I got my new iphone5 the guy in the Apple store said "the camera's so good, professional photographers use it".
This left me thinking that this guy obviously has zero appreciation for good photography!

That being said..it is a great camera for what it is (a point & shoot). Check out my Avatar photo, I took it with my phone, but if I'm headed out to try and capture some good shots, I'm using my Nikon, not my phone.

He may be talking about Dewitt Jones. Jones has done an entire series of photos using an iPhone. Many are fine for online viewing. Many of his "Celebrate" photos are iPhone products. www.dewittjones.com/celebrate.htm

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #340293 by Lotsashots
I agree about the appearance of the Avatar... strangely the image looks much sharper on my Wall in View Bug~ Take a look and tell me what you think.

10 years 3 months ago #340399 by garyrhook

Lotsashots wrote: I agree about the appearance of the Avatar... strangely the image looks much sharper on my Wall in View Bug~ Take a look and tell me what you think.

Huh? Not sure how I'm supposed to locate someone on ViewBug when nondescript screen names are used.

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #340427 by Lotsashots
You must 'Log In' in order to look up individual photographers- so log in and you'll see 3 horizontal bars to the left of the words VIEW BUG up in the lefthand corner... Click on the bars, scroll down, click on MEMBERS, enter my nondescript screen name "Lotsashots" and then you'll have access to my wall :)

10 years 3 months ago #340491 by Jennifer Krueger

Tim Dordeck wrote: I see no problem with using a cell phone for photos for fun occasions.  If I'm getting paid, absolutely not.    

Me too

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024