When photojournalists cover their camera logos with gaff tape...

10 years 2 months ago #348425 by Jeff Dutton
Is that because they don't want to advertise the camera brands or is that because of other reasons?  We are watching some old Superbowl video's right now and noticing that when you do see a photographer, their cameras don't have logos on them.  I can't imagine it's because the networks are concerned that the fraction of a second the photographers are shown that the manufactures of their cameras would get some free advertising is it?  

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #348455 by icepics
In sports it is just that, if a company isn't a paying sponsor often their logo isn't shown. The sponsors... that's what seems to make the sport world go 'round.

Seems like the vests issued to sports photographers may have sponsor names on them depending on the level/sport - I remember reading about it on Sportsshooter, this article must be from the season it started. Haven't seen anything about it recently, although I ran across something about Canon being an NFL sponsor in 2011.

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1807

Sharon
Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #348489 by Baydream

icepics wrote: In sports it is just that, if a company isn't a paying sponsor often their logo isn't shown. The sponsors... that's what seems to make the sport world go 'round.

Seems like the vests issued to sports photographers may have sponsor names on them depending on the level/sport - I remember reading about it on Sportsshooter, this article must be from the season it started. Haven't seen anything about it recently, although I ran across something about Canon being an NFL sponsor in 2011.

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1807

Correct. Canon was the official camera of the NFL. Other brands had to be covered. BUt then again those monster white lenses might give it away.
I have taken a quick look and do not see other major sports with "official camera sponsors". Guess they really show up at football games.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #348653 by Glen Martin
That's funny that even the small logos on their cameras are hidden, so if they are wearing a watch, is that logo covered up too?  :cheer:

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #348679 by ShutterPal
Have you ever bought a car, but then removed the dealers stickers?  They didn't pay you for advertising, so why not remove?  If I was in the spot light, I would hide too, if Canon wants the stickers removed, time to cash up or give me some freebie gear. :toetap:

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #348871 by Foggy
I'm the same way, as soon as I'm home with the new car, the first thing to come off is the ugly dealer plate frame

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #348881 by icepics
Yeah those big honkin' white lenses are a dead giveaway! I'm a hockey girl, haven't noticed this happening in hockey but maybe they aren't so concerned about it when they're putting cameras in nets which eventually get hit by a puck and the camera gets smashed to smithereens.

Not sure if this is happening in baseball either but then the photographers are penned up in the well and not roaming free as much as in football - those photographers must show up on camera often enough to provide space for advertising. lol

I kept the dealer plate frame on til our team gave out frames - gotta support the team!

And on a side note, I used to take pictures for a local team for marketing - pics of the dasher ads, the backlit signs, the sponsor names on the Zambonis and on those little clown cars that go out on the ice during intermission - they also liked crowd shots with lots of butts in the seats, can't let the sponsors see empty seats!

Sharon
Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #349197 by TedReichner
LOL  :agree:  there is no getting around the white canon lenses!  Unless you go with one of those lens covers 

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #349375 by StephanieW
This is the same reason Olympic athletes had to cover up the apple logo on their iPhones. I'm not sure if any specific cell phone company was a sponsor of the Olympics, but I remember iPhones specifically being called out for not being a sponsor.

10 years 2 months ago #349445 by Stealthy Ninja
Personally I put a Leica red dot over all my logos.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024