Played with a Fuji XE-2 at the Store

10 years 2 months ago #348891 by Shadowfixer1
I went in to play with several mirrorless cameras yesterday. The Fuji XT-1 was awesome. I played with Panasonic, Olympus, Sony and the Fujis. Here is a shot I made with the XE-2 at ISO 6400. I did a B/W conversion to see how it would look. It's not bad for a crop sensor at this ISO. Just thought I would share for all those interested in mirrorless.

img\def

img\def
The following user(s) said Thank You: rtenny
10 years 2 months ago #348911 by Vahrenkamp
I have been looking at getting a mirrorless camera myself, are you saying the Fuji won your vote with all them?

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #348923 by Shadowfixer1
I personally like the Fuji's. I used to have a Fuji S2-Pro. You can't beat the color out of a Fuji camera. I would buy the ne XT-1 in a heartbeat if I had the cash. It felt and looked that good. The Olympus felt good in the hand, but I don't really want to go 4/3rds. I would consider the Sony products. The new A6000 just announced looks like it will be good. If I had enough money, I would consider the Sony A7 or A7R. I like them a lot also, but then what's not to like about full frame. The one thing I found working with the XE-2 files was most of the tweaks I usually make to improve the images from my D200 made the XE-2 images look worse. It was almost like, don't mess with it and screw it up. Very little tweaking to get a very good image. I like the feel and build of the Fuji cameras and their lenses also. Felt like old school stuff I started with in the early 80's. I hope Canon and Nikon wake up very soon or they may go to being secondary players in the market. I may be wrong, but I think a change is happening just like when digital took over for film. Not as drastic, but a shift for anyone not shooting sports.
10 years 2 months ago #348939 by KCook
4/3 can work, but only if you don't demand massive background blur.  The most attractive thing about 4/3 is that it is easy to play Oly against Panny for the best value.

cheap Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 2 months ago #348953 by Sawyer

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I personally like the Fuji's. I used to have a Fuji S2-Pro. You can't beat the color out of a Fuji camera. I would buy the ne XT-1 in a heartbeat if I had the cash. It felt and looked that good. The Olympus felt good in the hand, but I don't really want to go 4/3rds. I would consider the Sony products. The new A6000 just announced looks like it will be good. If I had enough money, I would consider the Sony A7 or A7R. I like them a lot also, but then what's not to like about full frame. The one thing I found working with the XE-2 files was most of the tweaks I usually make to improve the images from my D200 made the XE-2 images look worse. It was almost like, don't mess with it and screw it up. Very little tweaking to get a very good image. I like the feel and build of the Fuji cameras and their lenses also. Felt like old school stuff I started with in the early 80's. I hope Canon and Nikon wake up very soon or they may go to being secondary players in the market. I may be wrong, but I think a change is happening just like when digital took over for film. Not as drastic, but a shift for anyone not shooting sports.

im im going to try one of these cameras this upcoming week!

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #348971 by rtenny
I am also looking for a backup camera that I could fit in mt pocket. Read a lot good things about the Fujis. Thanks for your comments. Thats will make my decision a little easier.

10 years 2 months ago #349011 by Shadowfixer1
I wouldn't consider the Fuji a backup camera unless you own top of the line gear. They outperform my D200, Not by leaps and bounds, but they do. Most people that buy them as backups, end up using them as their primary camera unless they need superb focus tracking. One more thing, they are smaller than DSLRs but I wouldn't consider them pocket cameras. They are not that small.
10 years 2 months ago #349119 by KCook

One more thing, they are smaller than DSLRs but I wouldn't consider them pocket cameras. They are not that small.

I think that is a key point.  While my humble Oly PL2 can fit into a generous coat pocket, it is still too heavy to carry that way.  Instead I use a pouch on my belt.  Linky for size comparisons -

j.mp/1e6Z5WW

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 2 months ago #349207 by Zeberk
Nice conversion, I was looking at either the Sony or Fuji mirrorless.  How was the autofocus on that Fuji? 

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #349251 by Shadowfixer1
The XT-1 was very fast. Fuji said they would update the XE-2 firmware to make it match the XT-1. They both seemed pretty quick to me. The Sony A-6000 is supposed to be very fast also. 
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #349501 by Stealthy Ninja
From my personal experience (having owned an X-pro 1 and now owning a Sony A7 and having tried the X-E1). I'd say right NOW go for FUJI if you're happy with a crop camera. Sony if you want Full Frame (A7 or A7r). I'd personally NOT buy an NEX camera at the moment. I prefer FF to crop cameras, but Fuji lenses are really good and the images you get from their cameras are really nice.

That said I swapped my x-pro1 (with 35 1.4 and 14mm) for an 85mm lens, because... like I said, I prefer Full Frame.

The X-E1 has very good autofocus for what it is.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024