Whats the minimum focal length you would head out door with for bird photography?

10 years 2 months ago #350531 by Wyrick Photography
200mm for a starting out in bird photography doesn't seem to cut it.  I think the problem is that I'm just not getting close enough to the birds.  I saw another another thread here on someone asking for best states, so I'm not the only person interested in bird photography.  (just didn't want to hijack his thread).  For those of you who are bird photographers, what is your go to lens?  

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #350539 by Joves
I have my Nikkor 80-400 VR AF version. And even then that seems to come up short in some areas. Shooting birds is a game of patience for the maost part, that entails a lot of waiting for them to not cooperate with you. You can better your chances of them coming in closer by going to an area where you know they like to feed, and then setting up a blind, or by wearing a ghilles suit. Any of the hunting and fishing stores have some inexpensive blinds that are easy to setup. Then it is just a matter of being in the right place. Also depends on which 200mm you have, and if it plays well with a Tele-converter. Then I would get a 1.4x one to start with. 

10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #350543 by effron
Minimum of 300mm......
I use a 300 f/4 afs and carry a 1.7 TC....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #350547 by cod
There are lots of possibilities depending on whether you want close-ups or “environment” shots combined with how close you can get to the birds.  Conventional wisdom seems tosuggest 400mm minimum, whether that be a 400mm or a good 300mm with teleconverter or a 500 or 600mm.  From my experiences I would also suggest at least 400mm.

Ideally I would buy one of Nikon’s top of the line 400mm or 500mm lenses for the wide aperture and fast focusing.  Realistically, though,they are out of my price range.  I would personally avoid the pro 600mm because I am not a pro and that large lens would also require a better, more expensive tripod and head than I currently own.  I can’t justify that. 

I use an old second-hand Sigma f/5.6 400mm lens. They are still available on the used market around $300-$600 and are surprisingly sharp (with good technique) for a cheap lens. I’m keeping an eye on reviews of the new Tamron 150-600mm zoom as apossible replacement in the future.

In addition to focal length, minimum focusing distance is a factor to consider.  Even with a long lens you still have to get very close to fill the frame with a small songbird.  With my first Sigma 400mm I often found myself getting too close to focus. A small extension tube will solve that but you will lose the ability tofocus out to infinity.  I’ve since obtained the tele-macro version of the Sigma 400mm which focuses quite close and that works well for me.

I have successfully used a 200mm with large birds but would recommend 400mm minimum if you intend to do lots of bird photography.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #350561 by Wyrick Photography
Awesome information.  I never thought about going used.  I'm going to check on ebay.  

What do you guys think about this: Sigma 150-500 5-6.3 Dg Apo Os?   www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20622739.htm...vC6LwCFUNffgod1kQA1A  It's $699 on Adorama.  Could I use this lens with a 1x teleconverter?  

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #350577 by effron
It has a good rep.......... www.dpreview.com/products/sigma/lenses/sigma_150-500_5-6p3_os
My advice, pay a few bucks extra and buy from KEH, B&H, or Adorama and avoid fleaBay.....;)
You won't want a TC with that lens......

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #350589 by Stealthy Ninja
I don't really shoot birds. But the one time I had a chance I shot with a 70-200 with x1.7 extender (D800) and cropped a lot (which you can do with the D800). If I did it seriously I'd get something longer.

Turned out ok for me:
10 years 2 months ago #350591 by Stealthy Ninja
Consider this lens over the Sigma:
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1013956-R...00mm_f_5_6_3_di.html

Do some research though.
10 years 2 months ago #350613 by MajorMagee
I typically use 300mm but if you can get close enough even 135mm can work.

10 years 2 months ago #350615 by Don Fischer
I don't photograph a lot of birds but when I do, I make a set up and have a 170-500 sigma on my camera. It does fine on my D70 but auto focus doesn't work on My D5000. I get another lens, if, I'm thinking about that Tamron 150-600, if it will work on my D5000.

10 years 2 months ago #350679 by garyrhook

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Consider this lens over the Sigma:

Do some research though.

So we like the Tamron? I was wondering whether it was worthwhile at that price point. That's really inexpensive.

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #350851 by Rawley Photos
300mm f/2.8 with a 2x teleconverter would be a nice combo, you'll lose a couple of stops of light, but if shooting in daylight, that might not make much difference for you.  

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #351013 by cod

garyrhook wrote:

Do some research though.

So we like the Tamron? I was wondering whether it was worthwhile at that price point. That's really inexpensive.

When I first heard of the Tamron I assumed it couldn't be anything special with that zoom range at that price point but it seems to be getting very good reviews.  I really like my Sigma 400mm but if I can get similar quality at 600mm at that price it would be worth getting. I'll wait and see how the reviews are after a few months of use though.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

10 years 2 months ago #351021 by Joves

cod wrote:

garyrhook wrote:

Do some research though.

When I first heard of the Tamron I assumed it couldn't be anything special with that zoom range at that price point but it seems to be getting very good reviews.  I really like my Sigma 400mm but if I can get similar quality at 600mm at that price it would be worth getting. I'll wait and see how the reviews are after a few months of use though.

:agree:
And with a drive motor as well. I know if it was an AF type of lens it would be like molasses in January. At least that is the case with my 28-300. The only reason I kept it was it does give some good images. I am still kind of wowed by the price of this, I cannot wait to see some user reviews.

10 years 2 months ago #351065 by Stealthy Ninja

garyrhook wrote:

Do some research though.

I tried it briefly once.  IT seems pretty good to me. I'd have to have a proper play and do some research.  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024