Is warranty on new gear ever changed based on where you buy?

10 years 1 month ago #354657 by TCooper
So I had a loaded discussion with another photographer this morning.  He seemed to believe that when you buy certain gear from let's say Adorama or B&H, or Samy's your warranty that you could receive on that item could be different from store to store.  At first I thought he was talking about used gear, but then he confirmed that he was talking about new gear.  I asked if he was talking about refurbished, yet again he stated new. 

Now I might be off here, but isn't warranty of items when bought in USA the same across the board and set by the manufactures? 

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #354693 by Joves
You are correct. Now each has their own extended plans, and what they cover. On used/refurbished equipment it is all over the place, and then there are extended warranties for those as well. I know that when I get a new Nikon body, I get Nikon's extended warranty when I buy it. It is much less expensive than getting it near the end of your one year warranty straight from Nikon, once the year is up you cannot get an extended from them either.

10 years 1 month ago #354749 by KENT MELTON
The stores don't set the warranty, the manufacture does.  That guy doesn't know what he is talking about

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #354801 by Roman Omell
Where do people come up with these ideas?

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #354829 by hghlndr6

KENT MELTON wrote: The stores don't set the warranty, the manufacture does.  That guy doesn't know what he is talking about

That's not entirely correct.  New items that are "Grey Market," ... i.e.. legally imported but outside of the manufacturers' authorized distribution channels ... are sold by the stores and warranted by the stores, not by the manufacturer.  I know Adorama warrants the products for the same period as the manufacturer's warranty.  I don't know what B&H and others do but there is no reason, other than to remain competitive, that they must be the same.  The guy might not be as dumb as you think.
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #354885 by garyrhook
^^^ what he said. The distinction here is "manufacturer's warranty" vs. "warranty". The two of you could both be correct because you are discussing different things.

A manufacturer's warranty is irrelevant of the sales channel (assuming it's an authorized reseller). Anything else, you don't know what you're going to get. It is therefore wise to ask questions and understand the specifics of the situation.

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #355247 by Ian Stone
Gary brings up a good point  :agree:  

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #355423 by Joves

hghlndr6 wrote:

KENT MELTON wrote: The stores don't set the warranty, the manufacture does.  That guy doesn't know what he is talking about

That's not entirely correct.  New items that are "Grey Market," ... i.e.. legally imported but outside of the manufacturers' authorized distribution channels ... are sold by the stores and warranted by the stores, not by the manufacturer.  I know Adorama warrants the products for the same period as the manufacturer's warranty.  I don't know what B&H and others do but there is no reason, other than to remain competitive, that they must be the same.  The guy might not be as dumb as you think.

You are correct, and I forgot about that. But then I have never found that the Grey Market prices enough to justify losing the manufacturers warranty. Something I consider stupid, I know that will not go over well with some. Also after last years flap over Nikon telling the retailers that they could not sell their products below MSRP, I figured that killed the Gray Market for Nikon gear at least. If you are having to pay the same price why bother with it?

10 years 1 month ago #355603 by Camera Diva
Or if an item is sold as refurbished, then retailer will set the warranty time

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #355837 by Tony Imaging
That's why you should buy from top retailers only, keep the guessing game  out of the equation

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #356081 by P2CDude
Many of the folks here have done a good job of identifying all the wrinkles. I'm going to add one more. Many times, the big box stores (C,W,BB) may purchase the products WITHOUT a manufacturer's warranty. I worked in the consumer electronics warranty business many years ago and this is very common.

You will know if the packaging or materials say to RETURN THE ITEM TO THE STORE. or DO NOT RETURN TO MANUFACTURER. These are all indicative of products that the retailer is covering the warranty on. In most cases, they will provide you a replacement piece and in the event that the number of returned items exceeds the agreement with the manufacturer...then they deal with it at that time.

While Alive...Live....If you Love It...Print it!
10 years 1 month ago #356537 by Roblane
:agree:   good post 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024