Hasselblad closing doors?

9 years 11 months ago #375684 by Roman Omell
After reading the last article on Sony A99 dressed up as a Hasselblad, I started digging and found this article that suggest Hasselblad is in financial trouble.  Could this be the reason for the Sony and Hasselblad marriage?  

photorumors.com/2014/05/11/is-hasselblad-in-financial-trouble/

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #375721 by Jessa Layton
I'm surprised, but not surprised.  From what I have read and know about Hasselblad, their quality is unmatched for professional commercial photographers.  These photographers pay the big bucks for these cameras.  Could it be that more people are holding onto their existing cameras (and money) and not making the jump to the latest Hasselblad?  After all, the economy is kind of in the toilet still.  

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #375728 by effron
That isn't the only manufacturer to experience slowing sales because many are shooting their gear longer. Digital was a boom for the camera companies, now they are finding it tough to improve enough to warrant someone spending thousands for a minimal improvement. My example is my D800, what will Nikon do to make me want to upgrade from that? Its pretty good in low light, large sensor, pro build and layout. They could improve the frame rate, but would that be worth four grand to me?......
If its true Hasselblad is in trouble, there will be more to follow.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #375770 by Sawyer

effron wrote: That isn't the only manufacturer to experience slowing sales because many are shooting their gear longer. Digital was a boom for the camera companies, now they are finding it tough to improve enough to warrant someone spending thousands for a minimal improvement. My example is my D800, what will Nikon do to make me want to upgrade from that? Its pretty good in low light, large sensor, pro build and layout. They could improve the frame rate, but would that be worth four grand to me?......
If its true Hasselblad is in trouble, there will be more to follow.....

I disagree.  Canon, Panasonic, Nikon, Sony, etc., all have lesser expensive options marketable to the masses.  Hasselblad had a very unique clientele, with unique camera budgets.  These numbers are no where near the market share of lesser priced options.   

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #375789 by Stealthy Ninja
Sony will swallow them.
9 years 11 months ago #375907 by Roy Wilson

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Sony will swallow them.

:huh:   Wasn't there reports not to long ago saying Sony in trouble?  

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #375916 by Joves

Roy Wilson wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Sony will swallow them.

:huh:   Wasn't there reports not to long ago saying Sony in trouble?  

That is only in certain divisions. Remember that Sony has many divisions, and that only a part of it is in trouble. The largest one is the computer division, which will most likely be gone if it is not already.
As for Hassy there are many factors coming into play. First as said they had a limited base buying from them. Second some of the newer cameras are producing the same, or better quality for far less. Thirdly the whole professional photography for periodicals has changed greatly. Between them letting many pros go, and shifting to online, the call for having a large photo staff is going away. They can now get totally competent shooters for far less than what they were paying before.
This is one of the major problem with digital, in that it makes the ability to capture high quality images very easy. In the film days for magazines you could get away with a 35mm, but needed to use Medium Format, and large format for large printing. Now you can shoot images for very large print cheaply, and with tight budgets that is what is happening. I love digital, but then I am not making a living from this, so it is a God send to me. If I did this for a living at least in the commercial end, I would be very stressed about my future.

9 years 11 months ago #375928 by Frisco
Kodak, Calumet, now Hasselblad?  I hope not!    There is no way that brand will go to waste, someone would pick them up. 

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #375940 by Stealthy Ninja
LOL yeh Sony isn't in trouble as a whole.
9 years 11 months ago #375941 by Scotty
I hope they do go under so I can get a h5d-60 for cheap.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #375959 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote: I hope they do go under so I can get a h5d-60 for cheap.

You could use it to make the collage you were talking about. :kmonst:
9 years 11 months ago #376064 by Francis
The birds are circling!  :lol:   I'm going to walk more on the optimistic side, and like one already posted.  There is no way a brand like Hasselblad would be driven into the wall.  Definitely either a buyout or merger would take place to preserve the brand.  

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #376150 by Wyrick Photography
I don't think so

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #376175 by Stealthy Ninja
I do think so
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #377141 by Simon Says
If its true Hasselblad is in trouble, there will be more to follow...

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024