Dealing with facial hair on woman client

10 years 5 days ago #376406 by Eric A
I just met with a new client who wants some boudoir style photos that include some up close facials.  The potential problem, which I'm not sure how to deal with this, is that she has a lot of facial hair.  I mean it's something that from 10' you don't notice to much, but if you are up close (and I will be), you will 100% notice.  I'm wondering how I'm going to deal with this.  I'm wondering if I could play tricks with the lighting or if this will be something for post.  But then if post, she might get that porcelain doll face look from having to blend everything.  

What do you think?   

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
10 years 5 days ago - 10 years 5 days ago #376408 by Leilanee
Usually the porcelain skin look is desirable for boudoir - not just on the face but everywhere, which means extra editing for you but could end up with a nice result that also ends in less worried awkwardness.
If you're unsure of that take, I'd ask her if she likes the general airbrushed/porcelain look or if she'd like something more natural.  If she determinedly prefers the more natural approach then you may be SOL trying to edit out each individual hair while preserving the texture of her face.

Edit: another trick is to use a ton of light and expose to the right to give it a high key/high contrast look.  If you can even out the lighting and tones in her face then editing that sort of thing will be much easier for you because you have less variance to worry about.

Also, make sure she's got a good makeup job, heh.

10 years 5 days ago #376415 by Eric A
Thank you Leilanee, good advice.  You have given me a few directions to go with this.  I think I'm going to test out some flash settings with my wife to see what I can come up with as a test.  

My Camera Bag:

Photo Comments
10 years 5 days ago #376418 by Leilanee
I've seen local photographers get really creative with household items to use as photo gear... try looking up how to make a DIY beauty dish!  It may help ;)

10 years 5 days ago #376419 by ShutterPal
How bad could it be? 

Photo Comments
10 years 5 days ago #376427 by Stealthy Ninja
My reaction would probably be something like:

I'd try hiring a makeup artist...
10 years 5 days ago #376455 by Vahrenkamp
Wouldn't the heal brush work for that?

Photo Comments
10 years 5 days ago #376506 by Eric A

Leilanee wrote: I've seen local photographers get really creative with household items to use as photo gear... try looking up how to make a DIY beauty dish!  It may help ;)

I've never used a beauty dish before, would that really help in situation like this?  

:thx2:

My Camera Bag:

Photo Comments
10 years 4 days ago #376585 by ilh2009ky
I don't see the problem with facial hair if that's what the client wants.  I would discuss this with the client; then, if she preferred not to have the facial hair, then I would consider some of the approaches previously mentioned.  Although I haven't run into the facial hair situation, I have had some difficulties with hair extensions and weaves.  When shooting close-ups, especially with a telephoto from across the room using a flash, it's amazing how the glue lines show up as distinctly "gray" on otherwise black hair!  As someone once said. "...the camera don't lie..." 

Ian Leslie Harry
www.ilhphotography.com

10 years 4 days ago #376614 by Stealthy Ninja
Just recommend she prepare before hand with a facial or whatever so she looks the best she can... tactfully that is.

If she's happy with a beard, then go for it... I bet she'll whine though, she'll say something like "I don't really look like that."

Once we did a shoot for an event and a dude was doing portraits out the front (with a white background, studio strobes etc.). One (older) lady returned her complimentary photo saying: "I don't look like that". Ahhh yeh you do, it's just that the dude used a 100mm macro lens (super detailed and sharp) and it showed EVERYTHING.

I suggest some selective soft focus... ;)
10 years 4 days ago #376653 by Stanly

ilh2009ky wrote: I don't see the problem with facial hair if that's what the client wants.  I would discuss this with the client; then, if she preferred not to have the facial hair, then I would consider some of the approaches previously mentioned.  Although I haven't run into the facial hair situation, I have had some difficulties with hair extensions and weaves.  When shooting close-ups, especially with a telephoto from across the room using a flash, it's amazing how the glue lines show up as distinctly "gray" on otherwise black hair!  As someone once said. "...the camera don't lie..." 

:agree: exactly, speak to the client and get their feedback on what they want

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
10 years 3 days ago #376849 by Eric A
Thanks again everyone, good tips

My Camera Bag:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Tree photography is an interesting genre of landscapes that use the size, shape, and texture of trees as the primary element of interest. With these quick tips, you can master the art of photographing trees!

May 24, 2024

Auto white balance is a camera setting that adjusts the color temperature of your images automatically. It often works well, but you should know a few tips to fix problems it might cause, too.

May 24, 2024

The Canon EOS 5D Mark III might be more than a decade old, but it still has the chops to be a quality camera for photographers in 2024.

May 23, 2024

Starting a photography business can be a daunting task. There is a lot to do, and many mistakes can be made. This guide helps you minimize mistakes and maximize your success!

May 21, 2024

The Canon 6D Mark II might be an older DSLR, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good option for 2024. In fact, this budget-friendly camera is a powerhouse for stills and videos.

May 21, 2024

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024