Using a 35mm lens for portraits or just for landscapes?

9 years 11 months ago #377021 by Johan Alonso
I thought 35mm was a universal lens for just about all you wanted to use it for?  I ask because when I use for portraits, it looks like the face gets a little distorted.  What are you using your 35mm for? 

9 years 11 months ago #377028 by garyrhook
The face isn't distorted a little, it's distorted a lot. It's a geometry issue.

35mm lenses are not considered "portrait" lenses. For that you want something closer to 85mm -ish. The longer focal lengths avoid distortion of facial features (again, geometry and relative distances from the camera) as well as give you better bokeh and background separation. 

35mm is good for stage shooting, events, etc. but I would never own one. For landscapes you may be better off with something even shorter.

Somewhere out there is an article that actually shows you the same shot taken with different focal lengths. It makes it very clear why 50mm and 35mm lenses are not ideal. Or you can just look at any mobile phone selfie, where the subject's nose always seems to me to be gargantuan.

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #377047 by KCook
In essence 35mm is good for scenes (definitely including landscapes) and for closeups that you want to appear to be closeup viewpoints.  For a portrait shot most of the time that closeup "look" is not desirable.

I would not mind having a 35mm prime.  But a couple of my zoom lenses cover that focal length, so I feel I am set for 35mm.  Where prime lenses really shine is in the 50 to 135 range.  Except for the extreme cases of fisheye lenses, and telescopes, zoom lenses do a good job outside that range.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 11 months ago #377055 by Scotty

KCook wrote: In essence 35mm is good for scenes (definitely including landscapes) and for closeups that you want to appear to be closeup viewpoints.  For a portrait shot most of the time that closeup "look" is not desirable.

I would not mind having a 35mm prime.  But a couple of my zoom lenses cover that focal length, so I feel I am set for 35mm.  Where prime lenses really shine is in the 50 to 135 range.  Except for the extreme cases of fisheye lenses, and telescopes, zoom lenses do a good job outside that range.

Kelly Cook

Nikon 24 1.4 and canon/sigma 35 1.4 are incredible lenses. 

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377061 by Stealthy Ninja
LOL despite proclamations to the contrary a 35mm is a fine portrait lens. It just depends on what you call a portrait.

There's such a thing as an environmental portrait (where you include a lot of the environment in the photo) this sort of shot is harder to do well with a 35mm lens (because you have to make sure all the scene looks good, you're not just focusing on a person) but it's legit.

Gary and Kelly are right though, if you want a tighter photo (without distortion) you'll need something longer.
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #377062 by Stealthy Ninja
Here's an example of a 35mm lens used as a portrait lens:

Taken from here for editorial purposes only: canonlensblog.com/canon-ef-35mm-f1-4l-us...-prices-and-reviews/

The whole point is to stand a reasonable distance away and use the 35mm to get more of the shot in. That way the distortion will be the same or similar to a tighter shot with an 85mm or whatever.

Distance is what effects distortion.  The reason why an 85mm will "distort less" is because you stand further away (generally) to get a headshot.

Example (not mine):
9 years 11 months ago #377071 by Stanly
How close were you to your model?

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377073 by KCook
Very nice examples Adrian, distance is the key. :judge:

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Stealthy Ninja
9 years 11 months ago #377165 by Stealthy Ninja

Stanly wrote: How close were you to your model?

Are you talking to me?  If so, as I said, those examples are not mine.
9 years 11 months ago #377267 by Jim Photo

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Here's an example of a 35mm lens used as a portrait lens:

Taken from here for editorial purposes only: canonlensblog.com/canon-ef-35mm-f1-4l-us...-prices-and-reviews/

The whole point is to stand a reasonable distance away and use the 35mm to get more of the shot in. That way the distortion will be the same or similar to a tighter shot with an 85mm or whatever.

Distance is what effects distortion.  The reason why an 85mm will "distort less" is because you stand further away (generally) to get a headshot.

Example (not mine):

:goodpost:

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377314 by Alan Nunez

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Here's an example of a 35mm lens used as a portrait lens:

Example (not mine):

Nice Post. I think you can get a good portrait from a 35mm. Be sure to recognise that there will be some lens distortion and make sure it is working in your favour rather than hurting the image.

9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #377853 by TimGuyKing
Just a quick mention, Lightroom allows you to compensate for distortion created by the lens. Just select the lens profile and bye-bye distortion. It's not as good as having the right lens in the first place, but can certainly help in a pinch.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024