Lighting preference

9 years 11 months ago #377482 by Jill Pomeroy
I was reading a discussion between members on another blog site between natural light vs flash.  I never realized their were people that frowned upon using a flash.  I figured light is light, sometimes you have it, others times you need to BYOL  (Bring Your Own Light).  One photographer stated, if you don't have enough light, the shot wasn't meant to be taken. 

How do you feel about this? 

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377488 by cod
In my experience the natural light purists, i.e. the ones who discredit flash as opposed to those who just like to work with natural light, are typically people who haven't really learned to use flash properly.  I used to be one of them.  Now I'm learning how to use my flashes and, yes, light is light.  Use whatever works, natural, artificial or a blend to make the photo say what you want it to say.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

9 years 11 months ago #377491 by Karen Comella
LOL I just made another post on this board about wanting to buy a beauty dish.  Does that answer your question?  

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377514 by Jim Photo
I use what is available.  If that means using my flash, so be it.   No purist here. 

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #377517 by Stealthy Ninja
There's this guy I know who always says natural light is better. This guy owns more strobes than anyone I've ever met (outside an actual studio owner).

So you can prefer natural light and still understand that sometimes you need more.

cod wrote: In my experience the natural light purists, i.e. the ones who discredit flash as opposed to those who just like to work with natural light, are typically people who haven't really learned to use flash properly.  

Exactly
9 years 11 months ago #377521 by Tony Imaging
Now I do prefer natural lighting, but by far not a purist.  I enjoy using strobes and speedlights when needed 

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377523 by garyrhook

Jill Pomeroy wrote: One photographer stated, if you don't have enough light, the shot wasn't meant to be taken. 

I think it's really difficult to argue with overwhelming arrogance.

Photography is about controlling light, no matter where it comes from. The sooner one learns that fact, the better off one is, I think.

Work with a pair of really good strobes, and you'll be sold on them as tools that you'll want in your kit.

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377532 by Don Fischer
I like natural light, mostly because I usually forget my flash's. have two 600 Nikon flash's I got for my D70 years ago, make a big difference shooting people with a baseball hat on! I used them one time for engagement photo's for a local couple. Pretty dark out and they wanted the sunset in the background. Didn't know if I could do it or not even with the flash but it did work. The thing I can get by without is studio light's. Don't have a studio anyway and don't care to set the light's up at some location. They could be handy taking placement shots in the evening at trials but just more complicated than I care to get. I did have studio lights at one time, seldom used them. So I gave them to a brother that is a photographer. I think I could get by pretty well without light but then I'd have to give up some shots. Most my shooting is with bad daylight, not photo art!

9 years 11 months ago #377533 by Roblane

garyrhook wrote:

Jill Pomeroy wrote: One photographer stated, if you don't have enough light, the shot wasn't meant to be taken. 

I think it's really difficult to argue with overwhelming arrogance.

Photography is about controlling light, no matter where it comes from. The sooner one learns that fact, the better off one is, I think.

Work with a pair of really good strobes, and you'll be sold on them as tools that you'll want in your kit.

Well said :goodpost:

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377538 by KCook

Jill Pomeroy wrote: I was reading a discussion between members on another blog site between natural light vs flash.  I never realized their were people that frowned upon using a flash.  I figured light is light, sometimes you have it, others times you need to BYOL  (Bring Your Own Light).  One photographer stated, if you don't have enough light, the shot wasn't meant to be taken. 

I feel the guy is an outdoor shooter.  When indoors, no stinking rules!

blinky

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 11 months ago #377547 by Alan Nunez
There are plenty of situations where natural light is not an option. Also there are some really amazing images that can be created with a combination of light sources!!!

9 years 11 months ago #377554 by Stealthy Ninja
There's always going to be idiots in this world. Well so long as I'm around there is... what?

Seriously people who have hard and fast rules like that are usually pretty bad at photography.
9 years 11 months ago #377614 by Pettigrew
"If you don't have enough light the shot wasn't meant to be taken?"

How many famous photos would not have been taken if this was correct?  

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377676 by Paris Gal
I'll use a flash when needed.  I'm not a pro with my flash, but I do try. 

5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377679 by KCook

Stealthy Ninja wrote: There's always going to be idiots in this world. Well so long as I'm around there is... what?

Seriously people who have hard and fast rules like that are usually pretty bad at photography.

Your video reminds me of some threads on DPreview :rofl:  :thumbsup:

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024