How long did it take for you to find your niche?

9 years 10 months ago #378025 by JeremyS

Scotty wrote:

Leilanee wrote: I figured mine out right away... there wasn't really much experimenting with other things, I just thought portraits were more interesting and noticed that I'm not really good at anything else lol.

Fun fact:  It's pronounced "neesh", not "nitch"

dictionary.reference.com/browse/niche?s=t

dictionary disagrees with you.

lol.. 

I will never narrow my favorite types of photography down to one or two, however there are certain types of photography that I do not enjoy, that is mainly what I mean by a niche. It doesn't need to be the one type of photography that you will do and only do that type. For me its mainly landscapes, macro, and wildlife/domestic animals that interest me the most currently, but I'm experimenting as I've mentioned earlier and I want to give everything a shot, because you never know right?

9 years 10 months ago #378056 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Leilanee wrote: I figured mine out right away... there wasn't really much experimenting with other things, I just thought portraits were more interesting and noticed that I'm not really good at anything else lol.

Fun fact:  It's pronounced "neesh", not "nitch"

dictionary.reference.com/browse/niche?s=t

Youtube wins:
9 years 10 months ago #378058 by Don Fischer
I just looked that up and it say's "nitch" is the common misspelling of Niche. Niche: a place or position suitable or appropriate for a person or thing. ie: to find one's niche in the business world. pronounced nich. 

now, we can all be friends again!

9 years 10 months ago #378068 by garyrhook

Scotty wrote: dictionary.reference.com/browse/niche?s=t

:P  I wonder if "neesh" is a derivative of the Old French word? 

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #378069 by Stealthy Ninja

Don Fischer wrote: I just looked that up and it say's "nitch" is the common misspelling of Niche. Niche: a place or position suitable or appropriate for a person or thing. ie: to find one's niche in the business world. pronounced nich. 

How do you pronounce "nich" then?  Because I'd pronounce it "Neesh".
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #378072 by Stealthy Ninja
Americans are known for pronouncing things wrong. It's because of Noah Webster wanting to create a language for the new nation (that being the USA)... not even kidding.

www.merriam-webster.com/video/0028-soopsoup.html

Seems "Nitch" is how Americans say it.  Which proves yet again how bad they are at seeing the origins of words through spelling.  It's obviously "Neesh".  Just look at it:  

NICHE

Tell me that's not French.  It's all Frenched up there with it's CHE and NI and such.  Plus, where's the T?  Huh?! Where is it?! Don't tell me it's in the teapot either... 

:kmonst:
9 years 10 months ago #378081 by KCook
Woll, I'm just a cowboy and I've always pronounced it "knee che" (short "e" on the end).  Nitch would be like an itch and I don't want to go there . . .

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 10 months ago #378131 by Leilanee

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Americans are known for pronouncing things wrong. It's because of Noah Webster wanting to create a language for the new nation (that being the USA)... not even kidding.

Seems "Nitch" is how Americans say it.  Which proves yet again how bad they are at seeing the origins of words through spelling.  It's obviously "Neesh".  Just look at it:  

NICHE

Tell me that's not French.  It's all Frenched up there with it's CHE and NI and such.  Plus, where's the T?  Huh?! Where is it?! Don't tell me it's in the teapot either... 

THANK YOU.  Totally french in origin.  And being a french speaker je peux vous assurer qu'on le prononce comme "NEESH".

9 years 10 months ago #378139 by Stealthy Ninja

Leilanee wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Americans are known for pronouncing things wrong. It's because of Noah Webster wanting to create a language for the new nation (that being the USA)... not even kidding.

NICHE

THANK YOU.  Totally french in origin.  And being a french speaker je peux vous assurer qu'on le prononce comme "NEESH".

My daughter's name is Charlotte.  I know about these frenchy things yo.
9 years 10 months ago #378184 by garyrhook

Stealthy Ninja wrote: My daughter's name is Charlotte.  I know about these frenchy things yo.

And do we pronounce it "Shar-low"?

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #378227 by Pettigrew

Don Fischer wrote: I just looked that up and it say's "nitch" is the common misspelling of Niche. Niche: a place or position suitable or appropriate for a person or thing. ie: to find one's niche in the business world. pronounced nich. 

:silly:

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #378257 by Leilanee

garyrhook wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: My daughter's name is Charlotte.  I know about these frenchy things yo.

If it was pronounced that way it would be written "Charlot" ;)
Charlotte pronounced the french way is "Shar-lutt"

9 years 10 months ago #378261 by JeremyS

Leilanee wrote:

garyrhook wrote:

If it was pronounced that way it would be written "Charlot" ;)
Charlotte pronounced the french way is "Shar-lutt"

Yay for french... the skill I've never wanted but got forced to learn. 

It would be pronounced how Leilanee mentioned.

9 years 10 months ago #378282 by Don Fischer

Stealthy Ninja wrote:  

ha ha! How do you pronounce rich?

9 years 10 months ago #378288 by JeremyS

Don Fischer wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:  

ha ha! How do you pronounce rich?

Clearly its pronounced reesh... thats what it is right?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024