How long did it take for you to find your niche?

9 years 10 months ago #378351 by No Show
17 years and still tracking that one down!  

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #378454 by Stacy Craig
I'm working on finding my niche this weekend  ;)  

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #378464 by Alan Nunez

Leilanee wrote: I figured mine out right away... there wasn't really much experimenting with other things, I just thought portraits were more interesting and noticed that I'm not really good at anything else lol.

Fun fact:  It's pronounced "neesh", not "nitch"

Ha Leilnee

You really opened a can of worms! this thread has left me giggling!

9 years 10 months ago #378471 by Leilanee

Alan Nunez wrote:

Leilanee wrote: I figured mine out right away... there wasn't really much experimenting with other things, I just thought portraits were more interesting and noticed that I'm not really good at anything else lol.

Fun fact:  It's pronounced "neesh", not "nitch"

Ha Leilnee

You really opened a can of worms! this thread has left me giggling!

:kmonst:   Just educating

9 years 10 months ago #378510 by Crazyguy
Same here Stacy, I spent nearly 6 hours today with my camera.  

An Irishman is not drunk as long as he can hold on to one blade of grass to keep from falling off the world.
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #378514 by effron
I've been striving for the last decade not to have a neesh........jeesh!....:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #378559 by Leilanee

effron wrote: I've been striving for the last decade not to have a neesh........jeesh!....:)

Broadening your horizons is good... but knowing what you're good at isn't a bad thing ;)

9 years 10 months ago #378708 by Tim Dordeck

Leilanee wrote:

effron wrote: I've been striving for the last decade not to have a neesh........jeesh!....:)

Broadening your horizons is good... but knowing what you're good at isn't a bad thing ;)

Yes true, but for some people, not having a granular focus doesn't mean they are not great as a whole  ;)

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #378876 by Stealthy Ninja

Leilanee wrote:

garyrhook wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: My daughter's name is Charlotte.  I know about these frenchy things yo.

And do we pronounce it "Shar-low"?

If it was pronounced that way it would be written "Charlot" ;)
Charlotte pronounced the french way is "Shar-lutt"

I’ve had Americans pronounce it tʃ’ɑr-lɒt “Char-lot” 
That’s CH as in Church, AR as in Aardvark, and LOT as in that’s a LOT of mistakes to make.

Don Fischer wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:  

Don Fischer wrote: I just looked that up and it say's "nitch" is the common misspelling of Niche. Niche: a place or position suitable or appropriate for a person or thing. ie: to find one's niche in the business world. pronounced nich. 

now, we can all be friends again!

How do you pronounce "nich" then?  Because I'd pronounce it "Neesh".

ha ha! How do you pronounce rich?

In logic we call this fallacy a "category mistake" 

Rich is Germanic in origin.  Actually Old (and modern) french is actually Riche which would be pronounce Reesh.  But we get it from Old English where it's written rīċe (riːtʃe - "rich" is the best guess at the pronunciation, since no one really knows what Old English sounded like).

The fact that the French is Riche (Reesh) shows that Niche should be pronounced a similar way (Neesh) don't you think?!  Other wise we'd spell it Nich.

But nooooo Americans want to put an arbitrary T in the middle and spell it Nitch... what the heck?! :huh:
9 years 10 months ago #378906 by Leilanee

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Leilanee wrote:

garyrhook wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: My daughter's name is Charlotte.  I know about these frenchy things yo.

And do we pronounce it "Shar-low"?

If it was pronounced that way it would be written "Charlot" ;)
Charlotte pronounced the french way is "Shar-lutt"

I’ve had Americans pronounce it tʃ’ɑr-lɒt “Char-lot” 
That’s CH as in Church, AR as in Aardvark, and LOT as in that’s a LOT of mistakes to make.

Don Fischer wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:  

Don Fischer wrote: I just looked that up and it say's "nitch" is the common misspelling of Niche. Niche: a place or position suitable or appropriate for a person or thing. ie: to find one's niche in the business world. pronounced nich. 

now, we can all be friends again!

How do you pronounce "nich" then?  Because I'd pronounce it "Neesh".

ha ha! How do you pronounce rich?

In logic we call this fallacy a "category mistake" 

Rich is Germanic in origin.  Actually Old (and modern) french is actually Riche which would be pronounce Reesh.  But we get it from Old English where it's written rīċe (riːtʃe - "rich" is the best guess at the pronunciation, since no one really knows what Old English sounded like).

The fact that the French is Riche (Reesh) shows that Niche should be pronounced a similar way (Neesh) don't you think?!  Other wise we'd spell it Nich.

But nooooo Americans want to put an arbitrary T in the middle and spell it Nitch... what the heck?! :huh:

Americans mess everything up

9 years 10 months ago #378954 by garyrhook

Leilanee wrote: Americans mess everything up

Truer words....

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #379078 by Stealthy Ninja

garyrhook wrote:

Leilanee wrote: Americans mess everything up

Truer words....

:patriot:
9 years 10 months ago #379571 by Jill Pomeroy
Any 2nd, 3rd or even 4th generation photographers here?  

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #379675 by Stealthy Ninja

Jill Pomeroy wrote: Any 2nd, 3rd or even 4th generation photographers here?  

It's NEESH!
9 years 10 months ago #379947 by Randy Shaw
Boy, I'm still on that discovery band wagon.  I have found that I do like landscapes and nature photography and have recently started playing around with night photography. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024