Photographer vs Swarm of police officers

9 years 9 months ago #390357 by ShutterPal
I'll let you cast your own judgement on this.  I have seen many police vs photographer clips and many of them have the photographers right up in the police space.  But this one the photographer was plenty of distance away.  

I respect the officers and what they do for us, but in this  case, they were not correct in my opinion.  What do you think?  

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390457 by icepics
I've seen this one before... I think the one officer (not the first one that came over) made a mistake when it appeared he tried to get ahold of the guy/his camera. If something like that happens the person should go to the police station and file a complaint so it can be investigated and dealt with accordingly - standing there arguing only keeps the officers there babysitting him instead of being able to move on and go do their jobs.

Apparently this person with a camera (and I don't call him a photographer based on the poor quality of the recording and the fact that he can't seem to explain as a photographer what he's doing) had been wandering around recording video at various buildings for some time with no apparent purpose. That would be enough for the police to check out what he's been doing, it's not exactly normal behavior around a shopping center at night.

I think the person recording video was trying to trigger some type of response like this and unfortunately one of the officers didn't seem to handle it properly.  

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390458 by JeremyS
I don't understand the entire thing about why people are so upset about being asked where they live or their name. It's not like your going to get arrested if you tell them that you live in Tampa. Why exercise your right to remain silent if you know you've done nothing other than to arouse suspicion and bring that kind of treatment upon yourself. If I was asked by a police officer my personal details I would give it to them without any questions, its not like they are going to arrest me.... 

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #390486 by garyrhook

icepics wrote: Apparently this person with a camera (and I don't call him a photographer based on the poor quality of the recording and the fact that he can't seem to explain as a photographer what he's doing) had been wandering around recording video at various buildings for some time with no apparent purpose. That would be enough for the police to check out what he's been doing, it's not exactly normal behavior around a shopping center at night.

I'll go with "no", "no" and "no".  Since when does being in public require a reason? At any time of day (short of martial law and/or a curfew)? While officers may have the right to question anyone about anything at any time, let's not conflate things. Associating photography or videography (no matter how badly done) with suspicious behavior is not excusable, in my book. I am so sick of hearing about how anyone with a camera is immediately suspect. WTF? What about all the stupid mobile phones in the world? Why does a quality camera attract attention?

Shall we conclude that one of the primary criteria for being hired by a police force is the inability to think critically?

Dumb, dumb, dumb. These officers have control issues. IMO.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390491 by Kayce
WOW and that is all I'm going to say.  :whistle:

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390556 by Eric A
That went bad quick, good thing the photographer knew his rights!

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390698 by Glen Martin
 No comment :dry:

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390811 by Andrew AG
Well, it's a good thing that he new about this rights.  These police were wrong.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #391173 by Tarb1968

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #391180 by Stealthy Ninja

icepics wrote: Apparently this person with a camera (and I don't call him a photographer based on the poor quality of the recording and the fact that he can't seem to explain as a photographer what he's doing)

LOL judgemental much?

Anyway, good thing he's not black..
9 years 9 months ago #391208 by Alan Nunez
They seem on a bit of a power trip

9 years 9 months ago #391388 by Flash Steven
And then some

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #391431 by icepics
The shopping center appears to be closed - there don't seem to be any cars in the lot. Obviously something had happened since there are police cars on the scene. There is no need for a bystander to be present at the scene of what may have been a robbery or other incident that'd being investigated. So why is this guy there? Being in an empty parking lot after the mall closed at night would be unusual if not suspicious behavior.

I don't find it believable that he is a photographer because he didn't give an explanation about what photography project he's working on or any reason to be taking pictures there. 

And it wasn't 'the police' in this case that did something that appeared to be inappropriate, it was one officer, and that's who would need to be dealt with accordingly.  

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #391435 by icepics
And that website in the last link is done by one guy - PINAC does not appear to be an actual organization.

It says Tax Deductible donations accepted - that means that someone giving him money can apparently list it as a donation on their own taxes - that doesn't mean however this is a registered charity. The site does not seem to be run by an organization.

It does not appear to be a legit registered charity; at least I've seen the site before and looked it up and could find nothing that verifies it's legit. But he's selling a book... and accepting ads that seem to be for profit - the site seems to benefit him financially.    

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #391437 by Fiona-Brims
i guess it depends where you come from and the rules of your country. I cant comment really on if he was right or wrong as i dont know what is or isnt allowed in America. I do know in Scotland if you are on public property then you can shoot almost anything ( but there are some exceptions like courts etc for example). its not the image you take but what you use it for that creates an issue in law. However IF there are exceptions you need to find them out, and what one person assumes is public property may not be at all!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024