Wedding Photography- clients from HELL

9 years 8 months ago #400043 by Amy-Lee-Winfield
Ok, so ive been a second shooter for a while and Broke out on my own at the beginning of this year. So far ive had 4 Weddings go without a hitch, ive got a few booked for next year so its not doing too bad.
I have this one client though, the wedding is this weekend but its an Asian wedding and the original terms of the contract have been changed so many times,,, Its driving me mad because so much preperation work goes into it before hand that when they cancel days (which I now think is to save money as like an idiot we didnt re-do the contract because he changed his mind AGAIN with only 2 days notice via email) so its all up in the air.

Does anyone else have experience with CLIENTS FROM HELL?

Any pit falls or issues they have come across that could help me some idea of what else I can expect in the long run. As a second shooter with the two different guys before it wasn't an issue and I wasn't privy to all the backstage problems but to have the contract changed 5 times in less than 2 weeks is doing my head in. My Partner doesn't know whether she is coming or going. We are looking to change the contract in the upcoming weeks to make it more personal to us and how we work together,, lots of advice is always welcome x Amy

9 years 8 months ago #400049 by MYoung
Hi Amy,

First of all welcome the site.  I know what you are talking about and those PITA clients come and go.  One of the best things I did early on, is have a lawyer draft up a bullet proof contract for me.  Weddings are stressful as it is, so having that contract laid out where both parties understand all the expectations for doing business, will save on these Advil moments. 

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #400084 by icepics
Why keep changing the contract? When it's first sent to the clients if they request changes it could be revised and sent back to them, but once they agree to it and sign it and you sign it, then that should be it. They can be referred back to that if they have questions or concerns. I could see being flexible about making an adjustment once due to reasonable or unexpected circumstances and if that needs to be done, get it in writing.

If you're going to be running your own business or with a partner, if you haven't already you could look at business resources for photographers - try PPA or http://asmp.org . There are pro organizations for wedding photographers too; I'm not as familiar with those, I'd just make sure any you find online is actually an organization and lists officers or a board of directors, gives an address, etc.   

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #400107 by ThatNikonGuy

icepics wrote: Why keep changing the contract? When it's first sent to the clients if they request changes it could be revised and sent back to them, but once they agree to it and sign it and you sign it, then that should be it. They can be referred back to that if they have questions or concerns. I could see being flexible about making an adjustment once due to reasonable or unexpected circumstances and if that needs to be done, get it in writing.

If you're going to be running your own business or with a partner, if you haven't already you could look at business resources for photographers - try PPA or http://asmp.org . There are pro organizations for wedding photographers too; I'm not as familiar with those, I'd just make sure any you find online is actually an organization and lists officers or a board of directors, gives an address, etc.   

:agree:   good post and good advice

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #400133 by Amy-Lee-Winfield
:D Thankyou x

We have a contract with our client but the changes were made at the weekend. His partner had another photographer covering her part of the Wedding but they backed out and so I was asked if I could cover hers aswell. We settled on a price and then his partner wanted coverage of two other days for family gatherings and henna work. Reluctantly I agreed as its all a part of her narrative but it left me having to move other thigns about and my partner had to take a shift off her other job in order to cover the two extra added events.
 Then 4 hours before each one we got a text message from the client cancelling the shoots.
Now there should have been money paid for the work that was supposed to be covered, I hired a third shooter to cover another shoot I had and my partner obviously lost money by cancelling her shift at her other job.

We have sat today and re-wrote out the contract for future clients regarding adhock changes but it doesnt help in this situation :( Its frustrating when so much work goes into preparation and organizing of everybody on this end to have them cancel via text message and not expect to have to cover our losses.
Ill just be glad when this one is over to be honest.

9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #400167 by Stealthy Ninja
Just wondering: What's an "Asian Wedding"?

Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Javanese, Mongolian, Pakistani... and so on...?

Amy-Lee-Winfield wrote: ...two other days for family gatherings and henna work. 

OHHH Indian I assume.  SOME Indian people can be very demanding in business I've found. They know what they want and they demand a lot for their money.  In my experience anyway. 
9 years 8 months ago #400179 by garyrhook

Amy-Lee-Winfield wrote: :D Thankyou x

We have a contract with our client but the changes were made at the weekend. His partner had another photographer covering her part of the Wedding but they backed out and so I was asked if I could cover hers aswell. We settled on a price and then his partner wanted coverage of two other days for family gatherings and henna work. Reluctantly I agreed as its all a part of her narrative but it left me having to move other thigns about and my partner had to take a shift off her other job in order to cover the two extra added events.
 Then 4 hours before each one we got a text message from the client cancelling the shoots.
Now there should have been money paid for the work that was supposed to be covered, I hired a third shooter to cover another shoot I had and my partner obviously lost money by cancelling her shift at her other job.

We have sat today and re-wrote out the contract for future clients regarding adhock changes but it doesnt help in this situation :( Its frustrating when so much work goes into preparation and organizing of everybody on this end to have them cancel via text message and not expect to have to cover our losses.
Ill just be glad when this one is over to be honest.

Um, signed contract, 50% deposit. Changes to the contract? New signatures, additional deposit of 100% of the additional fees when that close to the event, non-refundable. No cancellations after a certain date, no refunds after a certain date.

A bunch of changes / addition right before the date? No refunds, 50% up front. Non-negotiable. A cancellation 4 hours before the shoot? Non-refundable.

"There should have been money paid for the work that was supposed to be covered"? What? You didn't get an additional deposit after signing the new contract?

Or something similar that covers your butt. You're letting yourself get walked all over.

You might also need to be wiling to say, "I think you'd be happier with another photographer" and walk away.

Sounds like a growth opportunity for you.

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #400222 by Jackson Rieger
I suspect this will be one of those learning moments, I'm going to agree with Gary above. 

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #400340 by Kelly Lambert
+1  :agree:  

Nikon D700: 50mm, 14-24mm, 85mm, 105mm 70-200mm, 150-500mm (Sigma), SB-900
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #400373 by garyrhook
I want to add here that I am in no way intending to [be] unfeeling or unkind. But the fact is that you can't change or control anyone else. You can only control yourself and the way you react to events.

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #400378 by Amy-Lee-Winfield
:D I love this response!! there have been so many times that that actual thought crossed my mind,,

Well the wedding is today,, I have spoken to my client and thankfully all is sorted out amicably on both sides.
He agrees that 4 hours notice was not enough and so the rest will be paid today,, as there is Sunday as well I dont see that being a problem, Although I have the experience of it all now and I can ensure that It will not be happening in the future!
:D Weddings hey, I swear If I ever get married again, ill elope!

It is/was an Indian wedding, Muslim :D

9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #400383 by photobod
Amy, you need thick skin to be a wedding photographer and a permanent smile welded on, oh and don't forget the endless patience, I could go on but I won't bore you, as it seems you have been through a tough learning curve .
take everything on board that Gary has told you as he has nailed it perfectly.

when I started wedding photography I had a full head of hair, and yes you guessed it I am now bald ( hope that doesn't happen to you) .

i have been married three times (no not proud of that record it's just a fact)  and am heading towards a fourth. Point being I have hired photographers myself and have always let their skills run the day as they are the professionals, and as for any changes, I would have been happy to pay for them, not that there were any !!!.

Unfortunately there are lots of couples around that allow what should be a beautiful time in their lives, to become more of a stressful time therefore spoiling the occasion, and then take it out on the many good people that are around to make that day very special, it's called human nature and as wedding photographers, we have to grit our teeth and smile.
best of luck in your endeavours, I hope your business grows and you enjoy it, it's a beautiful business to be in.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

9 years 8 months ago #400413 by garyrhook

Amy-Lee-Winfield wrote: :D I love this response!! there have been so many times that that actual thought crossed my mind,,

Well the wedding is today,, I have spoken to my client and thankfully all is sorted out amicably on both sides.
He agrees that 4 hours notice was not enough and so the rest will be paid today,, as there is Sunday as well I dont see that being a problem, Although I have the experience of it all now and I can ensure that It will not be happening in the future!

Thank you so much for the update. I think that everyone appreciates hearing of how situations such as this resolve.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024