How to determine your photography skill level

9 years 7 months ago #405739 by Freshstart
We all think about it sooner or later.  And that is where we stand with our photography skills.  When you read the boards or attend a photography trade show or Meetup groups.  Terms like: beginner, intermediate, advance and professional photographer get used often when photographers describe their presence in photography.  

So this is what has me going right now:

1.  How do  you determine you are now an advance photographer vs intermediate or yet a professional?
2.  Are there skills or lines you need to obtain or cross in order to graduate from one unofficial ranking to the next?

The two terms that I nearly always hear are beginner and professional.  Very rarely do I hear the two in the middle.  It's almost magically that some people who woke up yesterday as a beginner photographer, now today categorize themselves as professionals.  

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #405747 by KCook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 7 months ago #405748 by Freshstart
Thanks for sharing that link, but that is talking about gear.  I was asking a question about various skill levels that photographers categorize themselves.  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #405758 by Don Fischer
Pro's make a living selling photo's. All pro's are not good photographer's. Amateur's are people that don't do photography for a living. Some amateur's take great photo's. Advanced amateur's have more expensive equip than amateur's. 

9 years 7 months ago #405803 by Tim Chiang
Good post Don, I'm going to agree with your views.

I think titles are over rated

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #405805 by icepics
I think Don pretty much said it. There seem to be people who might be somewhat misguided in calling themselves pro; they might be because they're making some money but seem to be usually underpriced and people will pay them apparently just because they want photos cheap.

I think really you know if you have some talent or ability, if you're beyond beginner and more intermediate, and when you have enough know-how to consider yourself advanced. What other people call themselves is up to them I guess whether or not it's accurate.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #405829 by Joves
:rofl:
I ask my mom.

But seriously. The only time I worried about any of that crap is when I was a kid first starting out. I have been shooting for so long that I know I am a mere amateur. I have sold photos in the film days, and had a couple of people pay me to shoot for them, so at one point I was a pro, but not really.
The way I look at it is just go out, and shoot, and enjoy doing it. You will know how well you are doing as you go along in life. This is why I have kept all of my digital images when I switched over from film. There was still a learning curve coming over from film, and so it was almost like starting over to me, except for I was already ahead of the game in knowledge of how to. If you really want to gauge yourself enter local photo contests. Forget online ones the majority are scams.
 I also agree with Don's post. It was a good one that was not so long winded.

9 years 7 months ago #405838 by utibay
I think you're at a more advanced level when:

1) you stop hiding behind what gear that you own or don't own
2) you've learned all the technical aspects of photography and have graduated past talking about it all the time
3) you stop worrying about gimmicky tricks and trends unless it best serves your needs
4) you've developed an intuition for being able to make good compositions on the fly
5) you've become practical and resourceful in your shooting
6) you're photos are unique to your style

9 years 7 months ago #405853 by KCook
Oh crap, I'm never even going to make it to the "advanced" level, after a half century of trying. :S

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 7 months ago #405896 by Ben Vanderbilt

utibay wrote: I think you're at a more advanced level when:

1) you stop hiding behind what gear that you own or don't own
2) you've learned all the technical aspects of photography and have graduated past talking about it all the time
3) you stop worrying about gimmicky tricks and trends unless it best serves your needs
4) you've developed an intuition for being able to make good compositions on the fly
5) you've become practical and resourceful in your shooting
6) you're photos are unique to your style

Well done on a informative and somewhat of the ugly truth to some!  :goodpost:

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #405963 by Sawyer
I don't think about it.  But don't limit myself to a certain title. I'll usually just say how many years I've been toying around with cameras. 

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #405967 by KCook
"Skill level" inevitably leads to a nuts-and-bolts theme, or bullet list, or whatever.  Beyond that, Ok beyond the question posed in the OP, is what direction does your photography take?  One interesting example -

ilovehatephoto.com/2014/10/08/guest-arti...r-by-james-b-norman/

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #406126 by Don Granger

Sawyer wrote: I don't think about it.  But don't limit myself to a certain title. I'll usually just say how many years I've been toying around with cameras. 

I would acknowledge that there are some good answers here, but I'm in the same lane as you are.  I don't quote titles, but will reference how many years I've been at it.  Titles are jargon that is so easily abused. 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #406187 by H Rocky
Same with me, I state years of experience.  Titles seem to snooty. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024