Getting over the "shy" hump?

13 years 2 months ago #26617 by Kitzmiller
While I'm waiting for a D7000 to come into stock I might as well start asking and learning!

I was wondering, ironically I'm a bit of a shy guy, and I would love to get into taking photos of people off the street. First off, how do you approach someone you don't know to take their photo?

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #26622 by Baydream
Start with telephoto shots. That way the subjects don't know you are shooting them. After a while, your confidence will build, you can approach them, show them the shot, and ask if they would like a copy (print or emailed).
Then again, some don't care.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
Attachments:
13 years 2 months ago #26671 by Nicole99
First start drinking, then right before you get too drunk make your approach. lol :rofl: :beerbang: j/k

Take the picture. What you see, shoot it. If the person sees you and start asking you questions. Be honest. Show them the picture. Eventually the more you talk to people, the more comfortable you will be shooting the public.

13 years 2 months ago #26676 by Kitzmiller

Baydream wrote: Start with telephoto shots. That way the subjects don't know you are shooting them. After a while, your confidence will build, you can approach them, show them the shot, and ask if they would like a copy (print or emailed).

I see, thank you. Now would you mind me asking what lens did you use in this shot?

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #26707 by Kitzmiller

Nicole99 wrote: First start drinking, then right before you get too drunk make your approach. lol :rofl: :beerbang: j/k

Take the picture. What you see, shoot it. If the person sees you and start asking you questions. Be honest. Show them the picture. Eventually the more you talk to people, the more comfortable you will be shooting the public.

Might not be a bad idea :rofl: :beerbang:

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #26720 by crystal
What ever approach you decide to take, ... using long lens, asking their permission, getting drunk lol Good luck.
I don't shoot people, I don't like people. lol Or maybe I should shoot them. :rofl: :toocrazy:
13 years 2 months ago #26806 by digitalpimp
As pointed out, start off with a good telephoto lens, as you get the experience approach people, show them the photo you have taken or idea of the one you would like to take with them. If you have a business card give it to them and let them know you will email them the photo(s).

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #26940 by doghandler
I pretend I'm shooting something nearby and then quick take the shot when the person isn't looking. Most people here in the south are pretty friendly so they generally don't mind when they see me take a picture.

Just be careful about taking pictures of kids. People are funny about that these days.

13 years 2 months ago #26941 by Baydream

Kitzmiller wrote:

Baydream wrote: Start with telephoto shots. That way the subjects don't know you are shooting them. After a while, your confidence will build, you can approach them, show them the shot, and ask if they would like a copy (print or emailed).

I see, thank you. Now would you mind me asking what lens did you use in this shot?

Canon 70-300 IS.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #26954 by Stealthy Ninja
You guys are wimps. :toocrazy: I very, very rarely ask permission. Just shoot.

Learn some karate first though. :p

img\def

Wiping off drool by Stealthy Ninja , on Flickr

img\def

Cuppa Traffic by Stealthy Ninja , on Flickr
13 years 2 months ago #27011 by Alex

Stealthy Ninja wrote: You guys are wimps. :toocrazy: I very, very rarely ask permission. Just shoot.

img\def

img\def

Cuppa Traffic by Stealthy Ninja , on Flickr

Good advice on the karate Ninja! :rofl: I had a good laugh over your post. As far as my thoughts, no different than what others have said. Pick up a telephoto lens and go to town!

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #27030 by Vladimir
I've taken a few candid portrait shots, I don't think once the person I was photographing knew I was photographing them.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #27057 by Yasko

Stealthy Ninja wrote: You guys are wimps. :toocrazy: I very, very rarely ask permission. Just shoot.

img\def

LOL doesn't matter where you are in the world, that situation seems to be the norm.

KitzMiller, a telephoto lens can help when you don't want em' to be aware you're shooting. If it's a white L lens, you can get a black lens cover to be inconspicuous, and turn the focus beep off. If you stay in a busy street corner shooting for long enough, people start ignoring you too. Some subjects are really easy and darn near guaranteed not to care. Among these are street artists and street musicians, and they make interesting subjects too.

or just be quick and sneaky, become a street ninja ;)

13 years 2 months ago #27602 by KenMan
I've only taken photos of family and friends so far, no strangers or people from the street. Will see when that day comes!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024