DJI Phantom altitude ceiling limit with GoPro camera?

9 years 3 months ago #425643 by tejbon
If the 500ft altitude restriction wasn't in place, anyone know how high one of these will fly with a GoPro camera attached?

Speaking of altitude, are there any places where you can legally fly these as high as you want?

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #425685 by effron
I think the maximum line of sight distance is 2300 feet and flight time is ten to fifteen minutes, so I would guess....not too high? (I could be wrong though, in fact the odds are very good).....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #425729 by One Wish
Don't they make parachutes for these things?

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #425803 by Ontherocks
I don't think so.  Perhaps some of the larger ones that are holding like a full size DSLR camera would. 

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #425813 by Colorado Mike
I would guess in the desert or out in the sticks maybe.  The thing you need to keep in mind is the safety of aircraft that might be buzzing around up above.  Those planes are going anywhere from 150 to 500+ MPH.  They won't see your drone buzzing around till it's too late.  

400 feet is plenty high enough 

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #425839 by Baydream
Here is a video of one in Turkey going to 1500 meters.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #425916 by Francis
That is nuts!  I'm surprised the radio connection between the pilot and the Phantom stayed strong.  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #426038 by Randy Shaw
Impressive height, I wonder how tough it is to handle at that height?

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #426055 by Ian Stone

Baydream wrote: Here is a video of one in Turkey going to 1500 meters.

Does Turkey follow the same airspace rules as here in the USA? 

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #426112 by Noah J
Isn't the battery life like 15 minutes worth with the DJI?  So this video was 11:42 long, that's cutting it close.  What if the battery when dead at that height?  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #426182 by icepics
I suppose unfortunately we'll find out if/when it happens, how much damage could be caused if one would drop and hit someone or something from that height. There have been cases of a runner getting injured by one being flown over a race, one that just missed crashing in the middle of a busy highway, etc.

They're legal for hobbyists but not for commercial use (except maybe in cases where it's been authorized); the FAA is supposedly developing new rules & regs since they're considered to be unmanned aircraft.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #426200 by RobWood
I'm a radio control pilot, and member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA). I have been following the discussions our organization has had over the past year with the FAA.

The photo of this drone flying at almost a mile up is an example of why the government is cracking down on these machines. As I type this, it is illegal to fly any type of outdoor radio control model aircraft in my area (San Francisco Peninsula). Lack of common sense and discretion are forcing the government to issue blanket NOTAM/TFRs that are aimed at drone control, but simple backyard and park-style electric flight is getting caught in the sweep.

No hobbiest in his right mind would fly a radio control model airplane out of visual line of sight - whether horizontally or vertically, anywhere. What happens to the drone if it runs out of battery power is irrelevant; the risk to people, animals and other vehicles, including other aircraft, is all that matters. Drones are more dangerous in the air than they are plummeting straight down to the ground.

Here's the alert I received from AMA that is currently preventing me from flying one of my quadcopters outdoors:

Four FAA NOTAM/TFRs have been issued for the greater San Francisco, CA and the San Francisco Bay metropolitan area beginning at 4:45p on Thursday, 2/12, and continuing until 10:45a PST on Saturday, 2/14.

The TFR is issued for security purposes to cover VIP movement in this area. Outdoor radio control model aircraft operations are prohibited within the 30nm circles for the specific times listed below. Control Line and Free Flight modelers should use discretion when operating within the TFR. Please note that TFRs are subject to change with very short notice. Check back often for the most current NOTAM/TFR information.

Timely alerts are also available on the web at:
www.modelaircraft.org/membership/clubs/notams.aspx or on your cell phone at: http://www.Twitter.com/amagov

icepics wrote: I suppose unfortunately we'll find out if/when it happens, how much damage could be caused if one would drop and hit someone or something from that height. There have been cases of a runner getting injured by one being flown over a race, one that just missed crashing in the middle of a busy highway, etc.

They're legal for hobbyists but not for commercial use (except maybe in cases where it's been authorized); the FAA is supposedly developing new rules & regs since they're considered to be unmanned aircraft.

9 years 3 months ago #426223 by Scott Innes
Are all the DJI have the HD cameras from GoPro? 

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #426357 by Harper Coswell
SICK!  My neighbor just got one of these, I'm going to pick one up this summer after my next lens purchase.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024