Does one camera produce a better JPEG over another?

13 years 2 months ago #26769 by Archie
So all crop sensor camera's compress RAW images to JPEG's right? So which camera maker is ranked the best for JPEG quality? Sony, Nikon, Canon, or Pentax? We picked up a new Sony flat screen TV a couple weeks ago and I had to speak to their support team today. While on the phone I was talking to the Sony rep about camera's and he said Sony is known for having the best JPEG quality photos produced from a DSLR.

Now I'm not saying I believed the guy, but I would think that either Nikon or Canon would have that trophy? But then again, I never thought there was much difference in JPEG quality from one camera to another?

Thoughts?

13 years 2 months ago #26797 by digitalpimp
Good question. From what I understand Canon cameras do sharpen the images more than others and although I don't have 100% confirmation of my opinion, I would say Nikon and Canon would have the better JPEG quality.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #26925 by Baydream
Never, EVER, believe a company rep without him/her providing proof to back up their claim. I'm sure that Yugo reps told people they had the best quality ratings.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #26933 by Joves
Baydream is right. The Jpegs are actually pretty much the same and Nikons use Sony sensors so the Nikons are the same quality. Jpegs are compressed as it is and lacks all of the information a RAW does. Camera settings only affect the Jpegs end results, RAW files are unaffected. So if you use heavy sharpening in the camera or more saturation, you are deciding the quality of the Jpeg as well. I shoot RAW+Jpeg that way I have the est of both worlds.

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #26962 by Stealthy Ninja
You can change your jpeg processing settings to suit.

From what I've read/observed:
Some say Canon processing makes things look plastic. Some say Nikon's NR can't be turned off.

People say Canon mess up reds. Nikon mess up greens. I've personally observed that Nikon messes up purples.

It comes down to personal preference really. Generally speaking Canon do slightly better landscapes and Nikon do skin better (IMHO).

They are different though, there's no doubt about it.

BUT shooting RAW you can get one to match the other using calibration (you need something like a color checker passport to do this).
13 years 2 months ago #27001 by digitalpimp

Baydream wrote: Never, EVER, believe a company rep without him/her providing proof to back up their claim. I'm sure that Yugo reps told people they had the best quality ratings.

Good point! :agree:

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #27002 by Alex

Baydream wrote: Never, EVER, believe a company rep without him/her providing proof to back up their claim. I'm sure that Yugo reps told people they had the best quality ratings.

:rofl: I remember in high school I saw a ad for a brand new Yugo for $3200 on sale! I was like wow, here is my chance for a new car. So glad I didn't get!

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #27020 by Yasko

Stealthy Ninja wrote: You can change your jpeg processing settings to suit.

Some say Canon processing makes things look plastic. Some say Nikon's NR can't be turned off.

People say Canon mess up reds. Nikon mess up greens. I've personally observed that Nikon messes up purples.

It comes down to personal preference really. Generally speaking Canon do slightly better landscapes and Nikon do skin better (IMHO).

BUT shooting RAW you can get one to match the other using calibration (you need something like a color checker passport to do this).

I very much agree with the landscape/skintone statement. The differences are small, but I like to pixel peep, and here's what I've observed:

At higher ISO's Nikon sensors/processors produce less chroma-noise (color noise) than Canons. At very high ISO's, Nikons have less noise all together and it's more uniform.

Canons produce JPG's that retain slightly more resolution in the very fine details, particularly in the full-frames. This could be because the individual RGB photosites on Canon sensors are smaller.

Nikon and Canon JPG's handle post-processing equally well, but Nikon has a slight edge in processing room for RAW's. This could be because the RGB photosites on Nikons are larger.

Nikons generally make purples kind of bluish.

Nikon and Sony sensors may be the same, but the brands process the data with different algorithms so the photos look different. Sony cameras don't interpolate (anti-alias) as much and there's less moire, but Nikon results have much less noise at higher ISO's.

Nikons in general do more accurate white balance than any other brand.

Canons sometimes oversaturate reds. The best reds IMHO right out of the camera come from Pentax dSLR's.

Nikon processing curve of the darks/shadows is slightly flatter than Canons. This makes for a little less contrast, but more detail is retained and it's better for post-processing.

Each brand has their little quirks in their results, nothing serious enough to warrant favoring one over the other though IMO.

13 years 2 months ago #27037 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote: You can change your jpeg processing settings to suit.

I still think it messes up greens, like in grass.

You'll have to show me that purple thing.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #27093 by crystal

:agree:
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #27722 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote: You'll have to show me that purple thing.

You can see on the left picture (opened with Adobe's "Camera Standard" profile) the purple has a slightly blue look to it (especially in the shadows).

The one ont he right is done with my Color Checker passport corrected setting and is much more accurate to the true colour of the top.

It looks even worse if you see it on the camera (adobe don't do a bad job converting the RAW), so a jpeg would mess it up even worse.
13 years 2 months ago #27796 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote: You'll have to show me that purple thing.

You can see on the left picture (opened with Adobe's "Camera Standard" profile) the purple has a slightly blue look to it (especially in the shadows).

The one ont he right is done with my Color Checker passport corrected setting and is much more accurate to the true colour of the top.

It looks even worse if you see it on the camera (adobe don't do a bad job converting the RAW), so a jpeg would mess it up even worse.

Interesting.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024