What are you looking for when buying used lenses?

8 years 5 months ago #466955 by Connie K Photos
I started to shop around for used lenses today and honestly, I'm not sure when I have one in front of me, what can I look for to insure I'm getting something that isn't messed up?  Appearances can be deceiving here.  

Photo Comments
8 years 5 months ago #466962 by Hassner
I will need help on this one.
Let me see what I can remember.
1. Fungus growing on the lens. Always inside, between lenses. Look against the light through the lens.
2. Focus. Take a photo at minimum and max focus, see if your pic is sharp. Zoomed in and out.
3. Aperture. Take pics (at manual settings so you can see expose increase and decrease) to see if aperture ring opens and closes all the way.
4. If the it is a push/pull zoom, see if it is not loose and moves just by pointing the camera to the floor.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
8 years 5 months ago #466963 by Tony Imaging
:agree: good post.  Might I add bring your camera and if an auto focus lens, listen very carefully to the movement as the lens focuses.  Inspect the glass for scratches and dings.  I like to look at the lens cap for wear.  If it shows good wear, the person is anal about using the cap. 

I know many photographers who don't use their lens caps at all.  Drives me bonkers when I see them setting their lenses face down in their camera bags.  :pinch:  

Photo Comments
8 years 5 months ago #467020 by effron
Yes, bring a camera and also bring a flashlight to look for imperfections and fungus.....Buying online? Make sure there is an expressed return policy, and never use a low or unrated seller....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 5 months ago #467022 by Screamin Scott
The posts so far have pretty much covered the bases. One point I'd make about scratches on the front element, in most cases the effects of them never show up on the image unless the lens element is totally trashed. Scratches on the rear element are another story. I there are scratches you can likely get it for a lot less as most people think scratches ruin a lens. My cheapest buy was a 20mm F4 Nikkor for a paltry $35 (shipping included). No impact on the resultant image even though it had a faint scratch dead center in the optic ...
kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 5 months ago #467172 by Flash Steven

Screamin Scott wrote: The posts so far have pretty much covered the bases. One point I'd make about scratches on the front element, in most cases the effects of them never show up on the image unless the lens element is totally trashed. Scratches on the rear element are another story. I there are scratches you can likely get it for a lot less as most people think scratches ruin a lens. My cheapest buy was a 20mm F4 Nikkor for a paltry $35 (shipping included). No impact on the resultant image even though it had a faint scratch dead center in the optic ...
kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html

:agree:   was thinking the same 

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
8 years 5 months ago #467249 by Dan Spade
Don't forget to ask for a receipt.  If they look or sound shady, run.  

Photo Comments
8 years 5 months ago #467823 by CaptNemo
I've bought a couple used lenses in the past.  Putting aside a inspection like a hawk, I ALWAYS bring my camera and computer.  So I can take some shots and quickly upload them to computer to inspect.  IMO that is the best way to test on the fly.  Let the buyer know ahead of time that you will need 15 minutes.  That way you get the time you need to test properly.  I always meet at a Starbucks, that way they can have a coffee while I test lens.  

Photo Comments
8 years 5 months ago #467969 by KENT MELTON
Use it and listen to it before you buy it  

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #468262 by Fiesta!

effron wrote: Yes, bring a camera and also bring a flashlight to look for imperfections and fungus.....Buying online? Make sure there is an expressed return policy, and never use a low or unrated seller....

Fungus is only going to be an issue with really old lenses correct?  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

Wedding photography trends come and go, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t exciting at the moment! This year’s top trends include old and new technologies and techniques to create lasting memories.

Jun 09, 2024

The Sony ZV-1 Mark II is a nice update to the ZV-1 and expands Sony’s lineup of cameras for vlogging and content creation. Is it the right camera for you, though? Let’s find out!

Jun 09, 2024

Having a solid client management system allows you to build a more sustainable business with a larger number of repeat clients. But how do you do that? Let’s find out!

Jun 05, 2024

Canyon photography is an interesting niche of landscape photography that has some distinct challenges like harsh light and shadows. But with the right preparation, you can capture epic shots!

Jun 04, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The process is actually quite straightforward if you want to print from iPhone. But, if you need a little guidance, this guide is what you need! Dive in and learn how to print smartphone photos!

Jun 04, 2024

The Fuji X-T5 is a mid-range camera ideal for beginners who need a high-powered camera body to professionals looking for a solid second camera - and many uses in between!

Jun 03, 2024