Security guard grabbed my camera

7 years 6 months ago #502668 by ArtWagner
I was photographing a field that was behind a chained linked fence when a security guy came up and with out any warning grabbed my lens (and scared the crap out of me!) and pushed it down while saying "you can't be hear and you can't be taking photographs here". 

Mind you, I'm photographing a field that had this creepy looking tree in the center.  There were a couple run down buildings further back.  Nothing that looked habitated or looked safe to even enter.  

Where was I was standing was the side walk.  Can a security guard do this?  

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #502672 by Scotty
As long as you weren't trespassing or it was a location of national security, he can't do shit.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chrome
7 years 5 months ago #502675 by ArtWagner
Neither to both of your concerns.  I was on a side walk and hardly any national nothing here.  Just a small field with a creepy looking tree and some run down buildings in the background.  

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502677 by effron
More info, did he keep your gear? If it was me, there would have been a fight. I'm older now and not so easily pushed off of my rights....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502680 by ArtWagner
No he just came out of nowhere and grabbed my lens, pushing my camera down towards the ground.   

I'm with you on that one, I didn't think I was wrong, so I was a little 'mouthy' and he threatened to call the police. When asked why, and that I wasn't on private property. He just commented that I'm not allowed to take photos from side walks of other peoples property.  :huh:   This place looked like no one had been there in a thousand years.  

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502691 by effron
I'd have demanded he call the cops, he is NOT allowed to touch your gear!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502696 by icepics
Why would an empty field be fenced in and have a security guard?? I don't know what you wandered onto/nearby but there must be some reason for a security guard to be there. If it was abandoned property there wouldn't be anyone to hire security.

It seems like from what you described he shouldn't have grabbed your camera. But mouthing off at him didn't exactly help your situation, did it? I would suggest asking who owns the property and contact them, to find out if you were/weren't on their property, to ask permission, or to make a complaint about how you were treated by the security guy... but now how are you doing to do that?

I think it's necessary to handle these type situations in a calm way and then contact the property owner instead of arguing with a seemingly self important security type. He's probably not  the one who has authority to give permission if necessary anyway. Even if you were on a public sidewalk and within your rights to be there, this seems to have escalated into more than it needed to be. I think even if it's not necessarily a professional situation it can help to handle it in a reasonably professional way. Sometimes even if you know you're right it can be better to be the bigger person and let it go so you don't end up lowering yourself to their level.

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502700 by icepics
And if he seemed to come out of nowhere that might be telling you to try to be more aware of your surroundings. I did home visits in all kinds of neighborhoods of a major city, including the areas on the news with shootings and drug dealings, etc. So I had training in how to scan an area getting out of the car, how to keep an eye and ear out for what's going on around me, etc. It usually isn't good to get caught off guard and this might have had a better outcome if you'd seen him coming. Then you could have greeted him and maybe been able to talk to him and things might have stayed more friendly.

You probably were fine taking pictures but if you were shooting thru the fence could that have put you close enough to be on their property? maybe just on the edge of the property?? I don't know, but I learned (and it does work) if the other person is behaving in a way that's inappropriate it can help to speak calmly and keep things reasonable as much as possible to help de-escalate the situation.

Sharon
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: sleeper54
7 years 5 months ago #502719 by Joves
I would go back, and shoot it again. Then when he tries to stop you, call the cops, and shoot it when they are there. If he is dumb enough to try, and stop you while they are there, have him arrested for assault&battery, since they touched you. You were well within your rights to shoot as long, as you did not violate the fence line. There are far too many power drunk idiots that think it is their right to stop you from exercising yours.

7 years 5 months ago #502833 by Tim Chiang
Security guard was way off beat.  They don't have the right to go touching you based on the scenario you have shared.  

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502861 by Karen Comella
OMG I would have kicked him in the you know where for touching me or my gear.  

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502884 by Lavender Photo
A security guard came up to you on the sidewalk? Yikes, that's a little out of hand. Hope you and your equipment or alright (and that you managed to get your shot before the guard interrupted)

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502893 by icepics
I don't quite get if this happened out on the sidewalk or on the edge of the property... if you're shooting a tree thru the fence wouldn't you need to have your lens right up close to the fence to shoot thru it?

Nothing excuses the security guard grabbing the lens. But if you feel you're in the right and he was in the wrong, how does it help a situation to get into any sort of argument with the guy? Leave and call the property owner, or call the police. I think it's a matter of knowing you're in the right, but to decide what's worth doing after the fact, what's worth pursuing?

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502910 by Robert Chen
Sounds like Barney Fif was wrong!

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502939 by Gene.Culley
Oh heck no!  I would give him a few colorful words, basically don't touch me!  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024