How do you respond to constructive criticism?

13 years 2 months ago #27232 by Rawley Photos
I was just talking to a buddy of mine in Italy who I met years ago on instant message. He shared a photo that he wanted my opinion of. I gave him my honest opinion, it was a old truck and the photo was clearly exposed for the truck and the back ground was blown out. I think this would have made a good shot for HDR. Oh and I think he could have angled the photo a little different to hide some of the trash behind the truck. Anyway he got all angry and said that I didn't have to go that far. Seriously?? I'm thinking what just happened, he came to me and asked for my thoughts on it.

When people come to you and ask for your opinion on a photo they took do you tell them it's a good photo when you know it has some issues? Granted much of this is opinionated, but if there are some clear area's of improvements, would you tell your friend or person asking?

How do you respond to constructive criticism?

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #27233 by Scotty
You were nice to him. I'm a lot more harsh when people ask for input on photos, and people know it. You can't learn if people say your bad photo is good. You did nothing wrong.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #27237 by Baydream
I welcome constructive criticism. At our camera club in VA, we have a professional photographer evaluate some of our photos every other month. The ones that gave honest, even harsh, critiques were by far the best. The learning experience was beyond what any workshop can offer. I learned more about portrait photography during one two-minute critique than in hours and hours of workshops or readings.
At our club in Canada, our annual contest is held with OPEN judging. The 3 judges rate the photos and comment in front of the entire audience. Our warning to entrants is to come in with a thick skin.
When asked about a photo, I also ask if they want a complete critique. I tell them it will be my opinion based on my experiences. If they don't want to hear it, please don't ask.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #27253 by crystal
I understand where you are coming from. A girl I know, (i wouldn't say we were friends, but our husbands were friends (in the same guard unit). This girl ask for CC on her photos that she posted on FB. Every comment she got was the typical "nice pic". I actually gave her CC on all the pictures. (I thought I was helping her) She even had a couple photos, that she didn't take but edit them and ask for CC. Which I gave. Those edit photos, were the B&W with color. I gave her cc, she didn't like it and deleted my comment. She ended up deleting all of my cc on any of her photos. She bitch me out right and left about the comments I left. Before too long, she deleted me from FB.

So to answer the question, if someone ask for constructive criticism, I honestly give it to them. You can not learn from "nice pic" answers. If the person can not take the honest cc, then that is their problem, not mine.
13 years 2 months ago #27257 by cjschmit74
I try to be nice about it but make sure I point out what can be improved. CC is great to give but if you are rude about it you might drive the person away completely and that is not the point of CC. I had a person on another site tell me to "throw my camera away because their 3 year old could draw better then I could shoot" Stuff like that is not needed, just be polite and point out what you see without being a jerk about it. CC is hard to take at times but if you put it nicely your point will come across better. People react better to a positive tone rather then a negative one.

13 years 2 months ago #27263 by pj38
It depends on who's asking me. If a young person just starting to take photos asks me, I try to be very encouraging in my remarks. If it's an old friend that's been shooting as long as I have, I can be brutally honest.

From what you say about your relationship with your friend, I don't think you did anything wrong.

13 years 2 months ago #27275 by effron
Why so serious?..............:whistle:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #27372 by Rawley Photos

effron wrote: Why so serious?..............:whistle:

Great line! What a good movie that was.

Thank you all for your responses. I feel better now! :banana:

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #27475 by Joves
Well I really never ask but when I get it I take it and think about it. I know when I do C&C I try and say what I would have done myself with the settings or how I would have shot it. This is especially true for newbs who are asking so they can learn. Well some are there are some that want the nice shot comments.

13 years 2 months ago #27482 by Moe
What it boils down to is if you have some good advice for me...I'm all ears :cheers:

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #27490 by Scotty
You guys are too nice, when people ask for criticism I let them have it. :banana:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #27529 by Zafonia
I love CC, it helps me on fine details that I missed when taking the shot. Then the next time I double check the background, the mans hand on the womans sholder is to hard or the little wrinkle of the shirt under the childs arm from being picked up. I dont see stuff like that all the time, and if I dont have someone point it out to me I would still be making the same mistakes. I love CC, but if you ask and can't handle the heat then you you need to stay out of the frying pan.
13 years 2 months ago #27572 by Joe Photo Daddy
Depends on the delivery :whistle: you can tell me my photo really needs some work and this is what I would and I would be very OK with that. You come up to me and say my photo looks like @#$% then I might get offended.

13 years 2 months ago #27681 by Stealthy Ninja
If someone's pointing out something that I didn't notice and can help me make a better photo next time. I like it. Everyone should do that.

If someone's just being insulting for no reason. Then that's different.
13 years 2 months ago #27777 by Alex

Stealthy Ninja wrote: If someone's pointing out something that I didn't notice and can help me make a better photo next time. I like it. Everyone should do that.

If someone's just being insulting for no reason. Then that's different.

:agree: Good point Ninja

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024