Grinding noise in Canon Rebel XT

13 years 2 months ago #27360 by doghandler
Yesterday I had my camera out for awhile and it started to make a grinding noise. Now I get an ERR99 message when I try to take a picture. I changed the battery, tried turning the camera on and off several times and even put in a new memory card. Now, sometimes I can get the camera to work for a couple of minutes before it starts in with the grinding noise again.

My manual says ERR99 can refer to many potential problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I have to send it into Canon to be repaired and have to do without it for who knows how long?

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #27366 by Baydream
The ERR99 is the catch-all for many unnamed problems. When does it make the noise? Just "idling", focusing, shooting?

Canon had my lens in and back in about 10 days.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #27368 by Yasko
Okay, here's what you can do on your own:

1: Unlike the more advanced Canon cameras, they made the Rebel card slot pins flimsy. Get a flashlight and look carefully in your CF card slot for pins that are missing, touching, or bent. Bent, broken, or pins touching each other will cause a problem, guaranteed. If the pins are simply bent, you can take a jewelers screwdriver and very carefully move the pin back into place (with the camera OFF!), and usually the problem is solved.

2: Another quick and easy check, take the lens off and inspect the electrical metal contacts on both lens and body. Make sure there's no broken contacts and make sure the contacts are shiny with no corrosion or patina (brownish film). Make sure nothing is attached or sticking to the contacts either. Believe it or not, a single hair sticking to the lens-to-body contacts can cause errors. If contacts aren't shiny anymore, use some rubbing alcohol to clean them.

3: If everything still looks good, do the sensor cleaning process from the in-camera menu so the mirror will flip up and you'll be able to inspect the inside of the rebel. Again, even a hair inside there is capable of causing errors if it gets caught up in certain mechanics. Inspect the lens closely also, for any breakages, warping, dents, etc.

4: If everything checks out fine so far, let's see if it's the lens or the camera that's at fault. If you have another lens, put it on, and start taking pictures. If you don't have a second lens, see if you can borrow a functional canon lens from someone. Use the camera for a whole day on a full battery charge with the different lens. If the grinding comes back, it's the camera and you'll need to send it in to fix. If there's no grinding, it was the lens and not the camera body.

Let us know how it goes, good luck

13 years 2 months ago #27369 by Baydream

Yasko wrote: Okay, here's what you can do on your own:

1: Unlike the more advanced Canon cameras, they made the Rebel card slot pins flimsy. Get a flashlight and look carefully in your CF card slot for pins that are missing, touching, or bent. Bent, broken, or pins touching each other will cause a problem, guaranteed. If the pins are simply bent, you can take a jewelers screwdriver and very carefully move the pin back into place (with the camera OFF!), and usually the problem is solved.

2: Another quick and easy check, take the lens off and inspect the electrical metal contacts on both lens and body. Make sure there's no broken contacts and make sure the contacts are shiny with no corrosion or patina (brownish film). Make sure nothing is attached or sticking to the contacts either. Believe it or not, a single hair sticking to the lens-to-body contacts can cause errors. If contacts aren't shiny anymore, use some rubbing alcohol to clean them.

3: If everything still looks good, do the sensor cleaning process from the in-camera menu so the mirror will flip up and you'll be able to inspect the inside of the rebel. Again, even a hair inside there is capable of causing errors if it gets caught up in certain mechanics. Inspect the lens closely also, for any breakages, warping, dents, etc.

4: If everything checks out fine so far, let's see if it's the lens or the camera that's at fault. If you have another lens, put it on, and start taking pictures. If you don't have a second lens, see if you can borrow a functional canon lens from someone. Use the camera for a whole day on a full battery charge with the different lens. If the grinding comes back, it's the camera and you'll need to send it in to fix. If there's no grinding, it was the lens and not the camera body.

Let us know how it goes, good luck

:goodpost:
My "grinding noise was the autofocus on my lens". What's why I asked when this "noise" was occurring. Glad they switched to SD cards on the XSi. Those CF pins can be a pain.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #30848 by kodiak
I believe that "err99" is a generic message saying that the camera can't diagnos the problem. Hate to tell you this, but the best advice I can give you is to find someone to repair it for you.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024