Ken Rockwell- So Uncool

6 years 6 months ago #548996 by Alyssa Briggs
I was reading some photography-related articles and I came across this guy, Ken Rockwell. I know hat he is a well known guy in terms of photography but I fond some of his articles really offensive like: 
www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-to-spot-an-amateur.htm
I understand if he is knowledgeable in this field but an attack to people, amateur in this case (like me), is so uncool. He could have written some suggestions how to improve from being an amateur not ridicule them.
Maybe I am just too sensitive. Maybe I am wrong.
How do you know this guy?

6 years 6 months ago #548997 by Screamin Scott
If you don't like the article, don't read it. I take what ANY reviewer says with a grain of salt. I have learned my lessons the hard way over the last 45+ years.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #549002 by Shadowfixer1
Ken puts stuff out for click bait. Plain and simple. 
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #549008 by Bryston3bsst
Shadowfixer's right.......Ken's running a website for profit. You have helped him make money by going there then telling others to go there and read this article. Not that that's a bad thing. And I did read the article you linked to......kind of humorous.......and kind of true. I know many people that have wheeled carts literally overflowing with hardware, and they can't shoot their way out of a wet paper bag. We all know many that absolutely have to own the latest bodies and lenses the day they are released, and their pictures are just mediocre. How many times have you heard someone say....'I want to take my photography to the next level, so I'm buying X lens or X body'? That's the one that always makes me chuckle. This article is clearly written for entertainment value. And what he is saying is stuff probably many of us has said at one time or another.

Ken's just like all of the others, which is why I read very little of any their crap, because that's pretty much all it is. It shouldn't be upsetting to you. There is certainly no shame in being an amateur. Jay Maisel, Dorothea Lange, Vivian Maier, James Baes, Andreas Feininger........were all amateurs at one point. I don't think anyone has ever popped out of the womb holding an SLR in one hand and a Pulitzer in the other.

I will say that Ken has a few decent basic suggestions for those that are just getting into photography. Otherwise, it's just entertainment.

6 years 6 months ago #549025 by Uplander
Yeah, click bait pro.  As stated above, you helped him out with this thread.  

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #549054 by icepics
I don't think he gets money directly by people going to his site, except it does probably bring in more viewers for the ads. His site shows options to give him a 'gift' or to make a 'donation'  if someone is so inclined. Why, I don't know.

I ran across his site years ago, and he has a certain amount of knowledge, and writes what often seem to be rather humorous or tongue in cheek articles or stories. I think this is more about amateurs with cameras acting as if they're pros. There seem to be more people in recent years listing themselves as photographers on craigslist, facebook etc. without the necessary pro skills, so that's probably what the article is about. I don't think it refers to someone who is doing photography as a hobby or for their own enjoyment.

Sharon
Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #549056 by NickSano
He pulls in $$ from all his ads and affiliates on there.  Rather annoying chap if you ask me. 

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #549057 by effron
Another KR sucks thread.....Its a monthly event, why not make it a sticky!!!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #549074 by Joslyn
I just came to read the comments.  :rofl:

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #549117 by Gammill
A Ken Rockwell thread isn't a Ken Rockwell thread with out some humor.  

For those who like or dislike Ken, this is funny.

• Ken Rockwell's camera has similar settings to ours, except his are: P[erfect] Av[Awesome Priority Tv[Totally Awesome Priority] M[ajestic]
• Ken Rockwell doesn't color correct. He adjusts your world to match his.
• Sure, Ken Rockwell deletes a bad photo or two. Other people call these Pulitzers.
• Ken Rockwell doesn't adjust his DOF, he changes space-time.
• Circle of confusion? You might be confused. Ken Rockwell never is.
• Ken Rockwell doesn't wait for the light when he shoots a landscape - the light waits for him.
• Ken Rockwell never flips his camera in portrait position, he flips the earth
• Ken Rockwell ordered an L-lens from Nikon, and got one.
• Ken Rockwell is the only person to have photographed Jesus; unfortunately he ran out of film and had to use a piece of cloth instead.
• When Ken Rockwell brackets a shot, the three versions of the photo win first place in three different categories
• Before Nikon or Canon releases a camera they go to Ken and they ask him to test them, the best cameras get a Canon sticker and the less good get a Nikon sticker
• Once Ken tested a camera, he said I can’t even put Nikon on this one, that’s how Sony was born
• Rockwellian policy isn't doublethink - Ken doesn't even need to think once
• Ken Rockwell doesn't use flash ever since the Nagasaki incident.
• Only Ken Rockwell can take pictures of Ken Rockwell; everyone else would just get their film overexposed by the light of his genius
• Ken Rockwell wanted something to distract the lesser photographers, and lo, there were ducks.
• Ken Rockwell is the only one who can take self-portraits of you
• Ken Rockwell's nudes were fully clothed at the time of exposure
• Ken Rockwell once designed a zoom lens. You know it as the Hubble Space Telescope.
• When Ken unpacks his CF card, it already has masterpieces on it.
• Rockwell portraits are so lifelike, they have to pay taxes
• On Ken Rockwell's desktop, the Trash Icon is really a link to National Geographic Magazine
• Ken Rockwell spells point-and-shoot "h-a-s-s-e-l-b-l-a-d"
• When Ken Rockwell went digital, National Geographic nearly went out of business because he was no longer physically discarding photos
• For every 10 shots that Ken Rockwell takes, 11 are keepers.
• Ken Rockwell's digital files consist of 0's, 1's AND 2's.
• Ken Rockwell never focus, everything moves into his DoF
• Ken Rockwell's shots are so perfect, Adobe redesigned photoshop for him: all it consists of is a close button.
• The term tripod was coined after his silhouette
• Ken Rockwell never produces awful work, only work too advanced for the viewer
• A certain brand of high-end cameras was named after people noticed the quality was a lot "like a" Rockwell
• Ken Rockwell isn't the Chuck Norris of photography; Chuck Norris is the Ken Rockwell of martial arts.
• Ken Rockwell never starts, he continues

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook
6 years 5 months ago #549147 by Alyssa Briggs

Screamin Scott wrote: If you don't like the article, don't read it. I take what ANY reviewer says with a grain of salt. I have learned my lessons the hard way over the last 45+ years.

I so happen to read it while looking for some good reads. Unfortunately, I found it. 

6 years 5 months ago #549148 by Alyssa Briggs

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Ken puts stuff out for click bait. Plain and simple. 

Yeah! Thiis would be the last time. 

6 years 5 months ago #549149 by Alyssa Briggs

Bryston3bsst wrote: Shadowfixer's right.......Ken's running a website for profit. You have helped him make money by going there then telling others to go there and read this article. Not that that's a bad thing. And I did read the article you linked to......kind of humorous.......and kind of true. I know many people that have wheeled carts literally overflowing with hardware, and they can't shoot their way out of a wet paper bag. We all know many that absolutely have to own the latest bodies and lenses the day they are released, and their pictures are just mediocre. How many times have you heard someone say....'I want to take my photography to the next level, so I'm buying X lens or X body'? That's the one that always makes me chuckle. This article is clearly written for entertainment value. And what he is saying is stuff probably many of us has said at one time or another.

Ken's just like all of the others, which is why I read very little of any their crap, because that's pretty much all it is. It shouldn't be upsetting to you. There is certainly no shame in being an amateur. Jay Maisel, Dorothea Lange, Vivian Maier, James Baes, Andreas Feininger........were all amateurs at one point. I don't think anyone has ever popped out of the womb holding an SLR in one hand and a Pulitzer in the other.

I will say that Ken has a few decent basic suggestions for those that are just getting into photography. Otherwise, it's just entertainment.

It's an entertainment without class. You could be entertaining while not offending some groups of people. Anyhow, thanks for this insight. 

6 years 5 months ago #549150 by Alyssa Briggs

Uplander wrote: Yeah, click bait pro.  As stated above, you helped him out with this thread.  

A mistake that I don't plan in making again. 

6 years 5 months ago #549151 by Alyssa Briggs

icepics wrote: I don't think he gets money directly by people going to his site, except it does probably bring in more viewers for the ads. His site shows options to give him a 'gift' or to make a 'donation'  if someone is so inclined. Why, I don't know.

I ran across his site years ago, and he has a certain amount of knowledge, and writes what often seem to be rather humorous or tongue in cheek articles or stories. I think this is more about amateurs with cameras acting as if they're pros. There seem to be more people in recent years listing themselves as photographers on craigslist, facebook etc. without the necessary pro skills, so that's probably what the article is about. I don't think it refers to someone who is doing photography as a hobby or for their own enjoyment.

It could be. Thanks for this,,, 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024