Nikon D500 vs D4

6 years 1 month ago #572225 by paulinoleon
I am looking to purchase a new camera in the next week or two and leaning towards a Nikon D500 or perhaps a used Nikon D4.

I have used crop sensor cameras only before and really like the specs on the D500, I am looking to spend between $1600-$1900 on a new camera and also saw that I could get a used D4 for about that price. I do not have much reason to switch to a full frame camera unless the picture quality will be much better but not sure how an older D4 would stack up against the much newer D500.

Some background on me -
I am very amateur photographer. Started out with a D3200 about 3 years ago, that was my first DSLR. For about the first year I just used the kit lens and was in Auto mode pretty much the entire time. The next year I started shooting in Aperture priority mode and learning more about my camera and got a few extra lenses. This last year upgraded to a D7100 and have gotten more into macro photography. I shoot in full manual mode now and have 5 lens that i use almost exclusively - 35mm prime, 100mm Macro prime, 180mm Macro prime. 11-16mm 2.8 wide angle lens & my 18-400mm travel lens. I mostly shot macro and close up photos of flowers and insects but I do enjoy taking pictures of birds, plants and when I am traveling.

Here is a link to my flicker page with some of the shots from the last year -
www.flickr.com/gp/paulinoleon/8f8qm8

6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #572233 by effron
If I was choosing between those two, I'd go D500...and I have full frame gear already. Full frame vs crop sensor is over rated....(my opinion)

Also..... www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-b...00&products=nikon_d4

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #572244 by garyrhook
You don't mention frame rate, which, for either of those choices, is the only compelling reason to go with them IMO. For that amount of money you could be looking at a new D750. The D7100 is the same vintage as the D5100 I used for 5 years, and the D750 is a marked difference. No disrespect to those that adored the D300 (which the D500 followed) but I don't see the point unless you're shooting sports or other fast-moving subjects.

I'd suggest you lay hands on both of them somehow, take test shots, and figure out which one fits you better.

Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #572256 by paulinoleon
Frame rate is not a big thing for me, obviously I would prefer the fastest frame rate I could get but I am at 6 fps right now on my D7100 and anything at that rate or faster would be fine. As long as I am not going down in frame rate I would be ok. I am not a big fast-action shooter and I do not shoot birds often enough for it to make it a priority.

I never really considered the D750 but it does seem pretty nice, I do like that it has 2 SD cards and not the combo SD and XQD slots. One thing it is missing that I think I would like is a joystick though. Not sure if that is a deal breaker or not.

6 years 1 month ago #572272 by effron
I also shoot a D7100 and in my case I see nothing in a crop body that makes me want to upgrade. I agree on the full frame though, a new D750 over a used D4, much less money and more camera IMO...(I'd still take a D500 over the D4)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #572283 by garyrhook

paulinoleon wrote: Frame rate is not a big thing for me, obviously I would prefer the fastest frame rate I could get but I am at 6 fps right now on my D7100 and anything at that rate or faster would be fine. As long as I am not going down in frame rate I would be ok. I am not a big fast-action shooter and I do not shoot birds often enough for it to make it a priority.

I never really considered the D750 but it does seem pretty nice, I do like that it has 2 SD cards and not the combo SD and XQD slots. One thing it is missing that I think I would like is a joystick though. Not sure if that is a deal breaker or not.

There's a joystick on the back of the D750, just like every other Nikon body. And the screen is articulated in the vertical. It shoots at 6.5 fps. You'll note, on nikonusa.com, that the back of the D500 looks an awful lot like the back of the D750. I wonder why that is...?

The D4 (and D810) uses 1 CF card, 1 SD card. You're thinking of the D850 for the XQD.

Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #572285 by paulinoleon
I was referring to the D500 with the SD and XQD card, the other camera that I am considering. I do like that the D750 has 2 SD cards and is not mixed and matched.

The joystick I am referring to is clearly visible on the back of the D500 and not on the D750. All Nikons have the click pad but only a few have a joystick above that and can be used for your auto focus points.

6 years 1 month ago #572286 by paulinoleon

Attachments:
6 years 1 month ago #572288 by paulinoleon
Maybe it is not called a joystick. That is just what I call it. Sorry I am still very new to photography and I do not know all the terms.

6 years 1 month ago #572310 by effron
Looks like most of your lenses are full frame anyway, get that D750, its assignable function button (not joystick) is on the front....Don't mess around either, get it new, there are good deals out there.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #572453 by garyrhook

paulinoleon wrote: Maybe it is not called a joystick. That is just what I call it. Sorry I am still very new to photography and I do not know all the terms.

No need to apologize; we're all learning.

I was not aware of that hardware function. I get it, but since I use only 11 primary focus points, moving my single-point focus location is very easy with that wheelie thingy (technical term, right?). I would use a joystick, but it's not a deal break for me.

FWIW, all those focus points? They only matter when you let the camera determine the field for a deep focus range. Otherwise, you really only need the few main points, as not all focus points are the same. the non-cross-type points look for either vertical or horizontal lines. That's not useful, in general.

I also did not know that the D500 had the new card slot. Meh, unless you're shooting action.

Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #572458 by effron
I don't think the OP would see much improvement (IQ) over the D7100 myself.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #572497 by paulinoleon
I am really leaning towards the D500 over the D750 I think now.

My main reason for upgrading my camera is to get better low light pictures. Since I shoot macro shots most of the time that causes you to have to crank up your aperture to f22 and more to get a decent depth of field. Everything I have seen online I think going with the D500 instead of the D750 will give me better results with low light shots.

Other things that I like but are not that big a deal are the faster fps (10 fps vs 6.5 fps), D500 has touch screen and D750 does not, Max shutter speed (1/8000 vs 1/4000), and the D500 has the joystick which I have not used but I think would be very helpful.

The only advantage to the D750 I liked was that it used 2 SD cards instead of 1 SD and 1 XQD but I don't consider that a huge deal but it would be nice.

Also I plan to keep my D7100 as a backup camera so maybe keeping them both APS-C is best so I can use all lenses on both. Thanks for all the input, I was surprised how comparable the D750 is and it does seem like a very nice camera as well.

6 years 1 month ago #572586 by effron
You'll be happy with either....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #572763 by Otto F

effron wrote: You'll be happy with either....

+1  I was thinking the same

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024