Your Preference? Cameras with manual dials or menu driven?

5 years 9 months ago #594145 by Ryan Obryan
If you could have a camera with manual dials, like the old analog cameras that controlled stuff like the shutter speed, aperture and ISO.  Versus the menu driven navigation on modern cameras, which would you rather have?

After shooting with a buddies camera that had the old school analog controls, I'm swaying towards the retro!

How about you?

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #594146 by garyrhook
One reason why higher-end cameras have physical controls: they are far easier to manipulate without having to look/think.

So, yeah, buttons and dials are Good Things.

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #594153 by Nikon Shooter
As a Nikon user, I'm very happy with the choices they made
in combining both approaches.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #594155 by fmw
Dials for sure - probably the second most important factor in my choosing the Fuji X system.

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #594161 by effron
Some of both, dials are a lot faster.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #594255 by CanonKid

garyrhook wrote: One reason why higher-end cameras have physical controls: they are far easier to manipulate without having to look/think.

So, yeah, buttons and dials are Good Things.

:agree:   plus they look great! 

Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 100mm Macro, Sigma 120-300mm, Speedlite 430EX II

A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #594396 by KCook
A half century ago we didn't have much choice! I have tried the Fuji X-T20 with lots of dials. Terrific for Manual mode. Does not really apply to Program mode, and stumbles a little in the priority modes. I rarely use Manual mode, so I prefer a mode dial plus dedicated buttons. Which is what most of the more serious DSLR are already doing.

Menus are inescapable, there are too many settings in today's cameras (beyond the basic exposure stuff) to eliminated them. But some menus are better organized than others. And menus providing a high level page for the user's pick of controls are great. Canon and Fuji have this menu customization, dunno about the other brands.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 8 months ago #594584 by Janos
Retro manual buttons all the way.  Especially with a silver body with black highlights.  

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #594699 by Kyle O
No preference, but the dials are nice. 

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #594856 by Rob Cline
+1 with the manual dials if they are positioned ergonomically 

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #594959 by SJM
While I like the older button styles, I do prefer the modern style button styles.  

Country guy living in the big Apple!
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024