B&H and Adorama shipping vs Amazon?

5 years 7 months ago #601108 by Jakov Barnes
I've been loving my prime membership from Amazon.  Most items I'm getting delivered are coming in 1 day, I've had a few items that came same day, and otherwise it's 2 days and it' free!  

I feel bad, because as a consumer, I'm looking at price and speed it takes to get something.  B&H back in the day offered free shipping if you spent over a certain threshold.  I honestly can't recall with Adorama.  The point that I'm making is that Amazon is making it tough for retailers, but as a consumer where you save on shipping cost and speed of getting, it's eat or get eaten.  So of course, I buy and continue to buy more and more from Amazon.  Slowly, sad to say, this has got to have a negative impact on B&H and Adorama.  Can these companies in the long haul compete against Amazon successfully?

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #601133 by fmw
I make my living in the e-commerce business (nothing to do with photography.)  Let me share some reality with you.  The reason free shipping is so popular with e-merchants is that it is more profitable.  Shipping is not free.  Somebody has to pay for it.  If it isn't billed directly to the customer then it is built into the price of the product.  Shipping isn't really free.  It is included.

As long as you order just one item from the vendor, paid shipping and free shipping are about the same.  But if you order more than one item that would otherwise have free shipping, the merchant has collected two or more shipping charges (built into the price.) and has more money to pay the shipping charge which could be the same cost as shipping only one.  At least it will cost less than shipping two or more individually. 

For some inexplicable reason, people think they are getting free shipping.  It is a winner for the merchant and the consumer thinks he or she is getting the better deal.  That's reality.

But to answer your question, I believe Adorama and B&H are smart enough to have "free shipping" on most products. 

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #601158 by Troponin
Buy from them on Amazon?

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #601183 by effron
B&H and Adorama have free shipping on many items, plus membership in some places include free shipping. (Like Kelby and B&H)
The example offered was two day delivery, most of the time it could take a couple weeks. I hate to say I like the two day on most Amazon orders, but I do NOT like USPS making the deliveries.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #601792 by HelenOster
You know about Adorama VIP? www.adorama.com/g/VIP360

Helen Oster
[email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024