How should a beginner photographer spend their money?

13 years 2 months ago #27992 by Stacy Kaufman
Different way of asking how others got started. Knowing what you do now, how would you recommend a person who is just getting started into "wanna be" professional photography (sorry only term I can think of to express transitioning from point and shoot to DSLR camera)?

Would you suggest money be spent on expensive top shelf camera gear? Books? Software? Memberships with photo organizations? Online courses?

Which of these would you say is most important?

Thanks again,

Stacy

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #27995 by dlambert
Get a decent-quality setup, but save some money for later -- you're almost certainly not going to know what sort of equipment you're going to want until you've been shooting a while.

Think about the areas where your P&S doesn't perform the way you'd like, and concentrate on improving those with your DSLR setup. If you don't know what sort of shooting you'll be doing, or you don't know too much about lenses, a kit lens will be fine to start with. Use it and learn what's good and not good about it, and if you decide to move up to a better lens later, sell the kit lens. One of the nice things about DSLR setups is that there's a decent resale value for most of the equipment.

Try to dabble in post-processing a little, too. You can probably start with the software that comes with your camera, but before long, you'll want to move up to Photoshop Express, Lightroom, Aperture, Paint Shop Pro, or something like that.

If you tell us a little more about what sort of experience you've got and what sort of photography you're trying to get into, we may be able to give you better answers.
13 years 2 months ago #27997 by Todd Phillips
IMHO you can never get enough education, so I would say books, books and more books!

13 years 2 months ago #28004 by Rob pix4u2
Invest in a good few courses at your local college in business and marketing. Read the threads here on going into business( especially the answers by bdroberts) and look him up in the directory. Ask his advise and see if you can find a successful local pro to mentor you. It takes more than a camera and lights to hang out your shingle and "go pro" these days.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 2 months ago #28069 by qualityresults
Technique - learn technique, and then learn it all over again.

Guess what I am saying is get a camera within your budget, don't try and get the ferrari of cameras, unless you absolutely have to have the best. Possibly with a kit lens or a reasonable good lens.

Then practice, post - get constructive criticism on how to improve and look around you to see what others are doing.

Participate in the forums, read as much as you can.

develop your technique, then you can decide what you like to take pictures of.

try everything, learn lighting, try a program like photoshop essentials or corel paint shop pro they are cheap enough to get you started and give reasonable or even excellent results.

Always remember the photographer is the most important thing about taking a picture, next is the lens (glass) and then the camera. I shoot with a canon XTI right now, have taken close to 50000 pictures with it. I have spent most of my money on my glass since I bought the camera.

Now we have dealt with the photography part of it.

Now the business:
Learn the Business part of it take courses on marketing, accounting, presentations, Customer service, get advice from BDroberts, join your local photo club. General Business Courses

Bottom line though is enjoy yourself and learn.

I read magazines (photo and others) and books, and I read various Photography blogs, participate in forums.

In a short answer to your question, all are important, none is less important than the other.
But experience can only gained over time.

The following user(s) said Thank You: achristine
13 years 2 months ago #28085 by Baydream
Stacy. If there is a camera club in your area, visit it. There are some GREAT ones and some that are run by "certain other types". If you find a good one, they are usually very inexpensive and have the whole gamut of experience levels. It is a good source of learning, watching, asking and often just plain fun.
I belong to clubs in two countries and both are very helpful.
Supplement this with the other suggestions here and you are on your way.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024