What to charge for Rescheduling fee?

5 years 6 months ago #611645 by Jessy Page
When a client requests a change in dates, are you charging them a rescheduling fee?  If so, how much?

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611651 by garyrhook
If you check around enough, I think you'll find that:

Scheduling a session reserves time on the calendar, making it unavailable for other clients. That's worth  money.

Stuff happens. Sometimes unavoidably. That's worth consideration.

I've mostly observed that one (1) reschedule is available up to 24 hours in advance without charge. Subsequent changes should incur a fee, if only to discourage those changes, and to get buy-in from the client. How much might be 50% of your normal fee. Or some such.

The original session fee is not a "deposit" it's a retainer: they're buying a slot on your calendar that is theirs. Deposits are refundable no matter what you say. Your time is worth something, and that's what the client is purchasing.

Of course, all of this should be spelled out in a contract that they review, read, and sign.

I'll go on:

I'm aware of at least one photographer that makes the "session fee" equivalent to the minimum they expect/require, revenue-wise, from an engagement. The client gets a date and a large print credit. All non-refundable. And the photographer gets the money up front, without worry about making a revenue target. Ideally, the customer spends more at the sales session. Just some food for thought.

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611656 by Nikon Shooter
Unless your time sheet is full with high profile and rich clients,
this would be a chance to prove you're cool and flexible.

One can even reschedule a doctor or dentist visit for free!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611657 by garyrhook

Nikon Shooter wrote: One can even reschedule a doctor or dentist visit for free!

It turns out that, in the US, that's no longer entirely true. Many have policies to address precisely the same issues that photographers run into.

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611659 by Jessy Page
Hey thanks guys, that's what I'm doing, locking down things, so everything is covered in my contract.  :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611662 by Nikon Shooter
We are talking two different things here! I am just suggesting that
people have last minutes things happening in their lives and being
cool is good for keeping a client. Sure, there are dumb ones as well…

but these I don't mind if they go annoy somebody else! :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611692 by garyrhook

Nikon Shooter wrote: We are talking two different things here! I am just suggesting that people have last minutes things happening in their lives and being cool is good for keeping a client. Sure, there are dumb ones as well…

I think there are more possibilities than two for things to go awry. The idea here is to bring those different issues to the discussion so that anyone that is interested can consider as many facets as possible. Which is why my first response was so wordy. It's not simple, and a single perspective doesn't fit every occasion.

Clearly we know stuff happens. That's easy. And if it's a new client, and this is the first time, likely no big deal. But what if it happens again? By having your policies clearly documented, and agreed to by a client, you save yourself trouble.

These are important business issues that are brought up over and over, by those that are new to this work. IMO it's worthwhile to elaborate.

I could be wrong.

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611746 by effron
Yup, too much depends on the relationship with the client, circumstances, etc....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024