Keep an eye out of fake filters being sold on Amazon

5 years 2 months ago #628260 by Olivia
Turns out there are some fake B+W filters getting sold on Amazon.

www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=22622

Do your homework before you buy!

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #628263 by Nikon Shooter
… got an email from a friend warning me not to buy SD, CF, (he
was not sure about XQD) on Amazon for the same reason!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #628277 by Ted Helm

Nikon Shooter wrote: … got an email from a friend warning me not to buy SD, CF, (he

Memory cards have been an issue on there for a few years.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #628344 by garyrhook

Ted Helm wrote:

Nikon Shooter wrote: … got an email from a friend warning me not to buy SD, CF, (he

Memory cards have been an issue on there for a few years.

Counterfeit goods are a problem across the board, not just Amazon. The biggest problem appears to be with SanDisk cards.

Googling will find plenty of information on how to identify a fake.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike
5 years 2 months ago #628385 by Ryan711
To bad places like Amazon don't have way to filter out the cons.  That memory card issue has been a problem for a long time.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #628390 by Troponin
 Couple things to keep in mind to help protect you from things like this...

Always buy from websites and companies that have free return policies without hassle. Amazon is one of them. 

Always check to see who you are specifically buying from on these websites. These are what we call  an actual marketplace. You either buy from Amazon‘s warehouse, or they come from private buyers.  I only buy from private buyers that have good feedback.  That being said, a lot of fakes also come straight out of Amazon‘s warehouse.  It’s just too huge to stop all of them 

Browsers like fire fox have Add one that can scan reviews on Amazon and detect fake ones.  I have come across some on Amazon that I’ve had hundreds of fake reviews!!

Electronics and shoes seem to be the most counterfeited in my experiences. I also seem to find that there are specific name brands that are most frequently faked. For instance,  jaybird headphones are commonly counterfeited on Amazon, but Bose are rarely. Not sure specifically why, maybe they are easier? Another example is scan disk versus Sony discs. Scan disks are more commonly faked where as Sony’s are much less frequent. There are exceptions to the rules though, so I always use caution

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #628429 by H Rocky
More reason to buy from B&H, you know it's legit there.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #628588 by Tim Wiener
Amazon is pretty good about returns for situations where fake items were purchased.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #628615 by Ian Stone
Yeah, but still it's a PITA to even deal with that.  Best to just buy from B&H on items like that.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #628924 by MYoung
I really would have thought they would have figured out a way to illuminate these scammers over the years.  Perhaps old are caught and new ones keep popping up.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #629239 by Stanly
That won't change anytime soon

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024