Are you shooting film at all?

5 years 2 months ago #629303 by F Anderson
Do people still shoot film at all?  I was looking on eBay and noticed some used film cameras.  Seems like it might be fun to have. 

Just not 100% sure how practical.  

Just curious

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #629327 by Nikon Shooter
As much as I have great thoughts on the beginnings of my
career when I happen to have a look on my film gear of the
the days, it is clear that there will be no way back anymore.

Just consider the costs and the waiting time… no nostalgia.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #629335 by KCook
The cameras were fun.  The film itself was not.  So no.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 2 months ago #629342 by fmw
Film is a distant memory and will remain so.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #629387 by GaryA
I have a friend who shoots a lot of film. (He shoot digital as well, but he really enjoys film.)

Film is harder than digital because you cannot chimp and generally you are very limited on the frames you can expose on any given event/shooting. Developing is tedious as is printing.  Digital is easier and cleaner, less odious because it can all be done in the camera or on a computer. 

I still shoot film, occasionally.  I like film.  I shoot Fuji because the cameras feel and operate like film SLR's and the Fuji images look more 'film-esque' than other cameras I've used.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 2 months ago #629388 by GaryA
PS- Shooting film everyday tends to get expensive.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 2 months ago #629391 by F Anderson
Well that sums up that.  Honestly I thought there would be more people shooting film.  So what are you guys doing with your old film cameras? 

LOL or are those all the cameras I found on ebay?  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #629392 by KevinH
I still have my Canon A-1 Professional. Ahhh the good old days!!!!  It just sits on the shelf anymore. Still has the databack too. Last date available on it was Dec 31, 1990

5 years 2 months ago #629442 by Pierce Steenken
Nope, not much at all these days. 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #629529 by Ian Stone
Not really, I have a film camera, however I rarely use it.  Film is just to expensive and time consuming.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #629561 by icepics
Whad'ya mean, that sums it up? it's only been a day and a half! lol There aren't any (hardly) film photographers on here, doesn't mean they aren't out there, although obviously it's a smaller number of people who shoot film compared to the number of people with digital cameras.

I never stopped shooting film, I just also have a digital camera (and do Polaroids, and alt processes like lumen prints and cyanotypes, etc.). I don't think it's harder, it's a matter of knowing how to get proper exposures, frame and compose shots well, and be able to see a potentially good photograph in your viewfinder to know you nailed it.

It is more costly than it used to be and the last camera store in my area is gone so I send film out. Some people develop their own B&W. I'm not sure if it's necessarily more time consuming if you're good at darkroom skills. When I used to use a college/community darkroom I could crank out a number of prints and have them drying on the rack in a couple of hours. It seems like people spend so much time processing I don't know how many prints/photos ready to use they do in a couple of hours. And even if it does take more time, if you're a darkroom rat like me, two hours goes fast.

I keep my old cameras, and actually just have one that no longer works (first camera I ever bought myself). I collect, use, and display vintage cameras. If I go to a camera swap I'm usually buying not selling!

Sharon
Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #629562 by icepics

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024