How many photos did you take in the entire 2018?

5 years 2 months ago #632604 by Jeanne Merlo
I was just looking at total number of photos I had taken and then looking at each year.  My photos I took in 2017 was 17,441 and last year was 3,872.  Big difference! 

Do you ever compare your shooting stats from year to year?

5 years 2 months ago #632608 by Nikon Shooter
Salut Jeanne!

The question is rather strange as I see it. I don't ever count
the number of shots taken but judge my performance by
the count of keepers.

From a year to the following, the gross revenue will say no-
thing of my performance but how the market was, really.

One thing I noticed though. The more experienced I get, the
higher the count of keepers even if I shoot a lot less frames
to produce them.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike
5 years 2 months ago #632628 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Jeanne

I'm having a bit both ways here - your thoughts plus NS's feedback :)

I know from the frame count how many exposures I have made - somewhere around 16,000 but that's pretty irrelevant as much was shot on burst as birds and other stuff needed burst to get the 'best' frame

For the keepers it's a "who-knows" as each time I return from a shoot and evaluate my images - sometimes I keep zero images, other times I keep 50% ... but mostly I keep around 25% of those camera exposures

I then reselect the best of the keepers for display purposes - prints around the apartment and a coffee-table book of images - and that group is only a few hundred images

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 2 months ago #632655 by garyrhook
I couldn't say, because I delete a lot of them now. I don't keep images that have no value...

That said, I have just over 21,000 left.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike
5 years 2 months ago #632826 by Uplander
I'm going to guess under 20,000k.  I had checked a few months ago and I saw a difference in shutter counts on my camera that was 16,844.  So, I would think close to 20,000.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #632870 by Robert Chen
Not a clue.  Alot?  

Seriously, not a clue.  If I were to guess, I would say easily on the other side of 20,000+

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #632929 by Moe
How are you finding this out easily?

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #632948 by garyrhook

Moe wrote: How are you finding this out easily?

You can upload NEF files to a website to get the shutter count (myshuttercount.com, e.g.). You just need images from Jan 1 and Dec 31. Photoshop used to show that EXIF field, but last time I looked I couldn't find it.

Me, all of my images are in LR, and you can filter by capture date. So, click on the top folder, be sure that images from subfolders are show, then filter. The count is right there.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #632979 by Scott Klubeck
Couldn't tell you.  Guessing I would say 15K

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633443 by Sanford
Don't keep track of that, never cared to be honest.  Man I hope that doesn't sound rude.  It wasn't meant to be!  ;)

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633712 by ThatNikonGuy
No where near enough!  I was just telling my wife on Friday that last year I feel I didn't get out as much as previous years of shooting.  So I'm working on a schedule to get me behind my camera more for 'me' time for this year.  Not paid gigs, just me getting out behind my camera enjoy photography.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633724 by Hassner
As a job I search for and shoot locations for the film industry.
I work mostly on commercials, so it is numbers they are after, so less driving more shooting than features.
I shoot anything from 150-600 frames a day, but I am very seasonal bound, so lot less work in winter. 
The photos I shoot for myself is getting less every year.
Just less inspired as I am getting older.
That feeling of "been there, done that."
I've been behind a camera as career for 37 years. 

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633727 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: You can upload NEF files to a website to get the shutter count…

If you are on Mac, Preview can help. Go to

Tools / Show Inspector

Two tabs will give the right information.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633887 by Wyrick Photography
Honestly I don't keep track of how many photos I take per year, monthly or weekly. The only time I might be aware of the number of shots is immediately after a gig, when I'm going through photos to filter out the ones the client will get.  

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024