Attending airshow and permissions

1 year 2 weeks ago #643864 by Duncan K
If you take photos of airplanes in the air  or on the ground during an airshow.  Because it's a show, do these become like public space?  Meaning photos can be taken and I can do what I wish with them.  Sell prints?  Not at the show as I'm sure that will not be OK with the venue.  But afterwards if I want to sell a photo of an airplane flying over a tree line (example) can I do so with out release document?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 2 weeks ago #643872 by garyrhook
There are multiple issues here:

The airspace over the ground might be as private or public as the ground. I'm not sure, but you'd likely need to check.

Airstrips can be private. This may or may not be relevant.

A photo of a plane over some trees: it would be challening to prove from which spot the image was captured, and it may not matter.

For "art" you likely don't need release. For commercial purposes (including stock) not so much.

You probably want to talk to a lawyer about this.

Photo Comments

1 year 2 weeks ago #643875 by Duncan K
So you see my point?  Yeah, slippery slop here.  I tried looking all over on Google and couldn't find a clear answer. 

I'll check with my lawyer and see what she has to say about this.

Appreciate your help.

1 year 2 weeks ago #643898 by garyrhook
No worries. I'm sure everyone here would love to hear what counsel you receive, and about what you choose to do.

Photo Comments

1 year 2 weeks ago - 1 year 2 weeks ago #644051 by Nikon Shooter
I have a form where it says that I was authorised to
enter the premises and to take pictures. Sure, it has
to be signed by the proper authorities on the site…
and multiple signatures if necessary.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

1 year 2 weeks ago #644153 by Duncan K
Well, my attorney finally got back with me and shared that this isn't the direction where his practice is pointed at and he wasn't 100% sure.  The good part is he stated he would make a few calls to clarify.

So, we'll see what happens with that. 

Man, thought this might be a straight forward answer.   

Again, thanks everyone!

1 year 2 weeks ago #644254 by Pete Franko
You should consider reaching out to the event sponsoring the airshow for media tickets.  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this ball head buying guide, learn about the specs and features of some of the top ball heads of 2020.

Jun 01, 2020

There are many different benefits of lens filters for photography. You can control exposure. You can also control glare. Get the scoop on other benefits in this guide.

Jun 01, 2020

There are many reasons why you should print on metal, including the durability and uniqueness of metal prints, as well as all the options you have for customizing your print.

May 29, 2020

Razer has unleashed the 2020 version of their Blade 15 Studio, and it is an incredible machine with the power visual creatives need.

May 29, 2020

To learn nude photography - particularly artistic nude photography - requires you to commit yourself to artistic thinking and the process of taking a well thought out image.

May 29, 2020

Taking self-portraits requires the right gear and the right approach. Get critical portrait photography tips in this quick how-to guide.

May 28, 2020

Investing in right lights for YouTube video production is one of the best things you can do to improve the quality of your videos. Which right lights are right for you though? Find out in this buyer's guide!

May 28, 2020

Canvas or paper prints can be a nice addition to your home, but each one has distinct advantages and disadvantages that are helpful to know before you buy.

May 27, 2020