Adobe Says: Delete Your Older Software Versions Now Or Else!

4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #644154 by Nikon Shooter

Really!?!?!

It's a trifecta of issues at Adobe over the last few
weeks. Now, only 2 days after removing all down-
loadable versions of cloud-based software from
their website older than 2 iterations back, they are
sending their customers letters ordering the remo-
val of any older CC software or risk a possible co-
pyright infringement claim by a third party! This is
not a joke, some might think it is.

It seems that Adobe is currently being sued by mul-
tiple sources and one of which is Dolby who as of
March 2019 claims Adobe has infringed on their intel-
lectual property and breached their contract.

What next in this Adobe saga? — J. Christina 

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644169 by Troponin
I looked this up and there are references to this back in April of 2017. Also, I am not sure how Adobe has any legal ground to sue their customers. Pretty sure they can't be held responsible unless they are selling old copies. I am willing to get that's the case. People might be trying to sell the old serial numbers. 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644181 by Nikon Shooter
I think they are messing up the privileged position they had.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644239 by Stanly
Huh?  Man Adobe isn't in the best of light recently.  

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644243 by Nikon Shooter
Am I ever happy I sold my Master Collection
Creative Suite 6 some years back.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644245 by garyrhook

Troponin wrote: I looked this up and there are references to this back in April of 2017. Also, I am not sure how Adobe has any legal ground to sue their customers. Pretty sure they can't be held responsible unless they are selling old copies. I am willing to get that's the case. People might be trying to sell the old serial numbers. 

This isn't about Adobe suing their customers, it's about license holders (like Dolby) suing Adobe customers for violating license agreements. If Adobe terminates an agreement users of that software must do so as well, or risk being in violation. That's part of what we agree to in the EULA.

I also saw (today) a remark on the PPA forum that Dolby is making somewhat outrageous demands regarding auditing of adherence to agreements. Including immediate online access to Adobe's customer data. (Allegedly... this is second hand.) It's not real clear what's going on, and the finger pointing is probably only just beginning.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644266 by Finn
So who has the popcorn.  

PT where is the popcorn eating smilie?  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644295 by Troponin

garyrhook wrote:

Troponin wrote: I looked this up and there are references to this back in April of 2017. Also, I am not sure how Adobe has any legal ground to sue their customers. Pretty sure they can't be held responsible unless they are selling old copies. I am willing to get that's the case. People might be trying to sell the old serial numbers. 

This isn't about Adobe suing their customers, it's about license holders (like Dolby) suing Adobe customers for violating license agreements. If Adobe terminates an agreement users of that software must do so as well, or risk being in violation. That's part of what we agree to in the EULA.

I also saw (today) a remark on the PPA forum that Dolby is making somewhat outrageous demands regarding auditing of adherence to agreements. Including immediate online access to Adobe's customer data. (Allegedly... this is second hand.) It's not real clear what's going on, and the finger pointing is probably only just beginning.

Lovely. So Adobe screwed up and they dodge the bullet? Hmmm, me thinks that there won’t even be an Adobe if they pull this stunt, whether it’s legal or not, it will affect enough people that the company will get boycotted, I’m sure. I will delete and cancel mine if they do. 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644348 by garyrhook

Troponin wrote: Lovely. So Adobe screwed up and they dodge the bullet?

Um, how did you arrive at that assessment?

A licensee usually has to agree to some sort of auditing by the licensor. If the licensor wants to change the terms of that auditing (either mid-stream, or at renewal time, or even through assertion that may or may not be supported by the agreement) then the licensee usually has the option to terminate the agreement. That may very well be what happened here.

But we don't know. I'm only passing along rumors.

I don't think we yet can conclude that anyone "screwed up", because we don't have anough verifiable facts.

But if what I read is accurate, Dolby (or any licensor) has no right to define how access for auditing should occur, without agreement by the licensee. So until any details come out, I'll just figure greed and mistrust are involved, and ignore it until such time as it becomes personally relevant. Which, at this time, it is not.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #644456 by Troponin

garyrhook wrote:

Troponin wrote: Lovely. So Adobe screwed up and they dodge the bullet?

Um, how did you arrive at that assessment?

A licensee usually has to agree to some sort of auditing by the licensor. If the licensor wants to change the terms of that auditing (either mid-stream, or at renewal time, or even through assertion that may or may not be supported by the agreement) then the licensee usually has the option to terminate the agreement. That may very well be what happened here.

But we don't know. I'm only passing along rumors.

I don't think we yet can conclude that anyone "screwed up", because we don't have anough verifiable facts.

But if what I read is accurate, Dolby (or any licensor) has no right to define how access for auditing should occur, without agreement by the licensee. So until any details come out, I'll just figure greed and mistrust are involved, and ignore it until such time as it becomes personally relevant. Which, at this time, it is not.

www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/14/a_dolby..._cloud_license_fees/

They gave them the wrong numbers when Dolby asked for an audit. They also continued to delay the information as well.  Usually the numbers are off bit a few million, but it sounds like this was massive. So now it sounds like Adobe is trying to clean up its mess and the customers are potentially getting pulled in. 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644481 by garyrhook

Troponin wrote: www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/14/a_dolby..._cloud_license_fees/

They gave them the wrong numbers when Dolby asked for an audit. They also continued to delay the information as well.  Usually the numbers are off bit a few million, but it sounds like this was massive. So now it sounds like Adobe is trying to clean up its mess and the customers are potentially getting pulled in. 

Ah, very good. I hadn't found this one yet. Thanks.

Adobe probably found out that the original agreement was going to cost it more than anticipated. But we don't know, so who can say? In any event, don't agree to something you're not going to do.

As for customers, this points to a poorly structured license with Dolby, and Adobe should never have allowed for this situation. Of course, we, as end users, aren't privy to those sorts of details, so we're just along for the ride.

I really doubt that Dolby is going to go after any end user. This is (or should be) just about auditing and getting paid properly. Which seems perfectly reasonable to me. But what do I know?

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644573 by fmw

Nikon Shooter wrote: I think they are messing up the privileged position they had.

Amen.  I think they did that when they started renting software instead of selling it.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644645 by Nikon Shooter

fmw wrote: Amen. I think they did that when they started renting software instead of selling it.

I adopted Capture One though still owning and using my
Master Collection CS6 and had a good time.

But you're right, that was the point where I was looking
for alternatives to Ps, Ai, and InD and found them all under
Serif's roof… great move it was. :P

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024