Craigslist and to good to be true?

4 years 10 months ago #646038 by Karen Comella
I'm always keeping an eye on Craigslist for deals on gear that I could use.  And lately I have noticed what I'm pretty sure to be scammers selling cameras for super low prices.   They aren't going the email route, they have a phone number listed. 

I'm trying to figure out their angle, how are they going to benefit from this.  The first thought - stolen, but how many stolen cameras could these idiots have.  If people meet up with them in person and pay cash, how are they going to hand you a brick in a box and expect to get away? 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #646048 by Nikon Shooter

Karen Comella wrote: … too good to be true?

I am always keeping an eye open for deals too… but not just anywhere.
I need to be sure that the deal will always be good for me and it never
will come to haunt me.

I only jump on thing I can trace.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #646070 by TCooper
Because there are too many suckers that will send them money via Western Union, which is perfect for crooks because it's untraceable and not linked to their bank accounts.   

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #646072 by Karen Comella

Nikon Shooter wrote:

Karen Comella wrote: … too good to be true?

I am always keeping an eye open for deals too… but not just anywhere.
I need to be sure that the deal will always be good for me and it never
will come to haunt me.

I only jump on thing I can trace.

But that is what I'm wondering, if they have phone numbers and are meeting up with people who are looking at items, what is their spin?

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #646075 by Karen Comella

TCooper wrote: Because there are too many suckers that will send them money via Western Union, which is perfect for crooks because it's untraceable and not linked to their bank accounts.   

Bold move.  Shame there are people out there like this.  Kind of makes you think about Darwin laws. 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #646145 by Carlos
Having a phone number listed doesn't change anything.  Look at the IRS phone scams that take place.  These scammers are getting people to buy Walmart gift cards to pay what they think is tax liabilities.  And people are doing it!  

(2) Canon 7D, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #646151 by Nikon Shooter

Karen Comella wrote: … what is their spin?

I didn't spend time figuring how to fool people
but did a lot on how not to be fooled myself…
so, I wouldn't know their spin, sorry.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #646165 by Miss Polly
More reason to use extreme caution when buying from Craigslist

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024