Landscape photographers do you find the need to shoot below f/16?

4 years 10 months ago #647365 by Sean Lamber
Do you feel the need to ever shoot wider than f/16 when shooting landscapes?  If so, what scenarios?  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647370 by Nikon Shooter
In the production of single or stitched panos for
corporate clients, I tend to stay In the middle of
the scale and, when needed, use the in-camera
or computer focus stacking software approach.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647374 by Troponin

Sean Lamber wrote: Do you feel the need to ever shoot wider than f/16 when shooting landscapes?  If so, what scenarios?  

At f/16, you can be getting a lot of diffraction. Most lenses have a sweet spot at around f/8 in which a couple shots for stacking would create a really nice image, as NS mentioned. I'm not sure how much diffraction can alter the IQ and rendering of the landscape shots, but in macro, I notice it at f/13 and I make sure that I really need to be there. 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647377 by Sean Lamber
WOW, so I thought diffraction took place only at extreme small apertures like f/22.  So what aperture are you guys shooting with most for your landscapes?  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647397 by Shadowfixer1
The physics show that diffraction is always present. It increases as the f-stop closes down. It becomes more visible at around f-13. You will find that macro shots are less affected by it and thusly you can get away with a smaller f-stop. Diffraction and DOF are a trade off and you need to weigh which benefits the image the most. There really isn't much need to go past f-11 for landscape unless you have some nice foreground interest. You can always shoot 2 shoots and focus blend if needed. I generally never worry about diffraction as I don't normally close down to f-16 or greater unless shooting macro. Photography is about working out the best solution and balance for each image and subject.
4 years 10 months ago #647516 by fmw

Troponin wrote:

Sean Lamber wrote: Do you feel the need to ever shoot wider than f/16 when shooting landscapes?  If so, what scenarios?  

At f/16, you can be getting a lot of diffraction. Most lenses have a sweet spot at around f/8 in which a couple shots for stacking would create a really nice image, as NS mentioned. I'm not sure how much diffraction can alter the IQ and rendering of the landscape shots, but in macro, I notice it at f/13 and I make sure that I really need to be there. 

I have no idea what a lot of diffraction is.  People make an issue of it when its effects are subtle at best.  As a matter of fact I shoot small products on a table top at f16 because it is what is required to get the entire product in acceptably sharp focus.  You can rest assured that the images are as sharp as a tack.  Think of diffraction as an optical anomaly that really doesn't matter much.  I have a lovely shot of some wild daisies right in front of the camera with the Teton Mountain range in the background.  I remember it required F32 to get both the flowers and the mountains sharp.  Most of my tabletop shots made with 4X5 format were shot at f64.  Use the aperture that allows your image to say what you want it to say.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024