Are you allowing others to take photos at wedding gig you are covering?

4 days 15 hours ago #647636 by MYoung
I get asked this a lot and I always say no.  Mainly because when this is allowed, you have every one in there with an iphone or iPad or DSLR jumping in my way to get their shots, screwing up my frame. 

I nearly lost a job today because I didn't back down from this.  As I see it, if I can't get the shot, I'm liable for the lack of photos capturing the right moments.  

What's your take on this? Do  you allow or not allow it?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 days 15 hours ago #647640 by Nikon Shooter
You have no authority to limit the action of others but
you sure have the right to protect your working space.

I solved that problem by having a crew of three: 1 assis-
tant and 2 "bouncers" on the gig. The two bouncers are
a 25yo young woman and her sister that know exactly
what they have to do… and do it very well.

I have to hold my part in being fast as the moment is for
the others too.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster

4 days 8 hours ago #647669 by MYoung
Not to be argumentative, but how do you mean I have no authority to enforce this?  I'm being hired to to do a job.  I am quick and know what needs to be done, however if Aunt Edna is standing in my way trying to take a photo of the couple-to-be with her iPad, I can't do my job.  

Photo Comments

4 days 7 hours ago #647671 by Nikon Shooter

MYoung wrote: Not to be argumentative, but how do you mean I have no authority to enforce this?  I'm being hired to to do a job.  I am quick and know what needs to be done, however if Aunt Edna is standing in my way trying to take a photo of the couple-to-be with her iPad, I can't do my job.  

A world fashion designer sponsored an event in a high class
hotel and I was hired to cover the event for him. A lot of time
was invested in setting up the stage and everything… a lot.

Something happened that was not planned and it was to late
to react without creating a commotion.The new hotel manager
decided to video record the evening and hired his stupid BiL to
do it. From the first model walk and on, the guy went shooting
at 1~2 meters in front of each model backwards. I've been wor-
king for years with this designer and we were both shocked by
that situation. Arrangements were made with the owner and
not with the new manager.

That hotel will never hold such event anymore — in that milieu,
things spread fast — and I was not going to ask my friend to pay
for a job I couldn't do.

In your case, this is not your property. You may have a job to do
but this had to be agreed with the couple — or who ever hired
you. To enforce your "desire" for non-obstructed space and time,
you may use eventually some people to invite VERY POLITELY to
wait a minute or two but they have the same rights as you do.

I know, a difficult situation where a beautiful day must be recorded
but shall not be disturb in any way.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster

4 days 7 hours ago #647675 by Tim Wiener
Yes I allow it, but in moderation.  For me all parts of the ceremony and reception is open for anyone to photograph all they want. Really the only point at which I ask for it to be just solo, is during the first look and romantic portraits. From my experience, this is where having other cameras trying to get a shot can be a huge distractions and takes away from creating the magic and emotional filled images. So, with that in mind.  All other times, friends and family can shoot away as much as they want!

Photo Comments

4 days 25 minutes ago #647758 by Moe

Tim Wiener wrote: Yes I allow it, but in moderation.  For me all parts of the ceremony and reception is open for anyone to photograph all they want. Really the only point at which I ask for it to be just solo, is during the first look and romantic portraits. From my experience, this is where having other cameras trying to get a shot can be a huge distractions and takes away from creating the magic and emotional filled images. So, with that in mind.  All other times, friends and family can shoot away as much as they want!

+1 Yeah I'm with you Tim on this one. 

Photo Comments

2 days 3 hours ago #648033 by MYoung
Well you all make some good points.  Perhaps it's time that I consider some changes.  It's just so darn annoying working around my framed shots with people and their iphones and ipads getting in the way. 

Photo Comments

23 hours 55 minutes ago #648113 by icepics
I knew of a photographer who charged for extra time he spent waiting for all the friends and relatives to get done with their phones etc. - said that got things moving!

I've known of a photographer working with the b&g to make clear there could be 'no phones' during/after the ceremony, in the church, etc. I just know from what other photographers I know have said since I don't do weddings myeslf. I've done events which may be more like the reception where you'd expect there will be people that you need to work around.

I think it's a matter of making it clear up front. Maybe put your policies on your website/gallery etc. Discuss guidelines and why you need to have a clear view to get the photos the couple wants and maybe have it in your contract. It might be better to allow for f&f to take pictures after you're done and figure out how/where you can set up to discourage other people from taking photos til after you're finished. Think about how you can 'direct' people in a way that can get the message across that it will help you as wedding photographer get photos of/for the b&g.

Sharon
Photo Comments

14 hours 42 minutes ago #648128 by MYoung
Yep, I've made some notes and considering some changes to my flow of things on gigs.  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Panasonic Lumix ZS200 review, learn why it is one of the best bridge cameras and one of the best travel camera options on the market today.

Jun 12, 2019

In this Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III review, learn why this little micro four thirds camera is such a good buy in 2019.

Jun 06, 2019

FujiFilm just dropped the highest-resolution mirrorless camera to date, the 102-megapixel GFX100. In this FujiFilm GFX100 review, we take a look at all the essential specs of this game-changing camera.

May 29, 2019

In the Canon 5D Mark IV vs Canon 6D Mark II, which one wins? In this comparison review, learn about the essential specs, features, pricing, and more, of these Canon cameras.

May 27, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

It's been about a month since I got the Peak Design Travel Tripod. I was impressed out of the gate, and after a few weeks of use, I'm even more impressed now!

Jun 14, 2019

Photographing Oregon should be on any serious landscape photographer's bucket list, as it offers a wide range of breathtaking landscapes, from waterfalls to soaring mountains, coastlines to high deserts.

Jun 14, 2019

Via NASA Beam me up, Scottie! A dune shaped like the famous Star Trek logo was just discovered by NASA on the surface of Mars, and even William Shatner...

Jun 14, 2019

Ever wondered what the perfect blend of video and photos would look like? Fujifilm thinks its an instant photo with audio capabilities. And everyone is...

Jun 13, 2019

Growing up I always wanted to be a National Geographic photographer. Their lives seemed so glamorous, filled with many thanks for their contributions to the...

Jun 13, 2019

In this tutorial, learn a few basic steps and general guidelines that will help you learn how to improve black and white fine art photography.

Jun 13, 2019

In this Panasonic Lumix ZS200 review, learn why it is one of the best bridge cameras and one of the best travel camera options on the market today.

Jun 12, 2019

There's plenty of Fujifilm X-Pro 3 rumors floating around, including the assumption that the camera will be released later this year. Get the scoop on what to expect from Fuji's new X-Pro 3.

Jun 12, 2019