Are you allowing others to take photos at wedding gig you are covering?

4 years 10 months ago #647636 by MYoung
I get asked this a lot and I always say no.  Mainly because when this is allowed, you have every one in there with an iphone or iPad or DSLR jumping in my way to get their shots, screwing up my frame. 

I nearly lost a job today because I didn't back down from this.  As I see it, if I can't get the shot, I'm liable for the lack of photos capturing the right moments.  

What's your take on this? Do  you allow or not allow it?  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647640 by Nikon Shooter
You have no authority to limit the action of others but
you sure have the right to protect your working space.

I solved that problem by having a crew of three: 1 assis-
tant and 2 "bouncers" on the gig. The two bouncers are
a 25yo young woman and her sister that know exactly
what they have to do… and do it very well.

I have to hold my part in being fast as the moment is for
the others too.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647669 by MYoung
Not to be argumentative, but how do you mean I have no authority to enforce this?  I'm being hired to to do a job.  I am quick and know what needs to be done, however if Aunt Edna is standing in my way trying to take a photo of the couple-to-be with her iPad, I can't do my job.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647671 by Nikon Shooter

MYoung wrote: Not to be argumentative, but how do you mean I have no authority to enforce this?  I'm being hired to to do a job.  I am quick and know what needs to be done, however if Aunt Edna is standing in my way trying to take a photo of the couple-to-be with her iPad, I can't do my job.  

A world fashion designer sponsored an event in a high class
hotel and I was hired to cover the event for him. A lot of time
was invested in setting up the stage and everything… a lot.

Something happened that was not planned and it was to late
to react without creating a commotion.The new hotel manager
decided to video record the evening and hired his stupid BiL to
do it. From the first model walk and on, the guy went shooting
at 1~2 meters in front of each model backwards. I've been wor-
king for years with this designer and we were both shocked by
that situation. Arrangements were made with the owner and
not with the new manager.

That hotel will never hold such event anymore — in that milieu,
things spread fast — and I was not going to ask my friend to pay
for a job I couldn't do.

In your case, this is not your property. You may have a job to do
but this had to be agreed with the couple — or who ever hired
you. To enforce your "desire" for non-obstructed space and time,
you may use eventually some people to invite VERY POLITELY to
wait a minute or two but they have the same rights as you do.

I know, a difficult situation where a beautiful day must be recorded
but shall not be disturb in any way.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647675 by Tim Wiener
Yes I allow it, but in moderation.  For me all parts of the ceremony and reception is open for anyone to photograph all they want. Really the only point at which I ask for it to be just solo, is during the first look and romantic portraits. From my experience, this is where having other cameras trying to get a shot can be a huge distractions and takes away from creating the magic and emotional filled images. So, with that in mind.  All other times, friends and family can shoot away as much as they want!

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647758 by Moe

Tim Wiener wrote: Yes I allow it, but in moderation.  For me all parts of the ceremony and reception is open for anyone to photograph all they want. Really the only point at which I ask for it to be just solo, is during the first look and romantic portraits. From my experience, this is where having other cameras trying to get a shot can be a huge distractions and takes away from creating the magic and emotional filled images. So, with that in mind.  All other times, friends and family can shoot away as much as they want!

+1 Yeah I'm with you Tim on this one. 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648033 by MYoung
Well you all make some good points.  Perhaps it's time that I consider some changes.  It's just so darn annoying working around my framed shots with people and their iphones and ipads getting in the way. 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648113 by icepics
I knew of a photographer who charged for extra time he spent waiting for all the friends and relatives to get done with their phones etc. - said that got things moving!

I've known of a photographer working with the b&g to make clear there could be 'no phones' during/after the ceremony, in the church, etc. I just know from what other photographers I know have said since I don't do weddings myeslf. I've done events which may be more like the reception where you'd expect there will be people that you need to work around.

I think it's a matter of making it clear up front. Maybe put your policies on your website/gallery etc. Discuss guidelines and why you need to have a clear view to get the photos the couple wants and maybe have it in your contract. It might be better to allow for f&f to take pictures after you're done and figure out how/where you can set up to discourage other people from taking photos til after you're finished. Think about how you can 'direct' people in a way that can get the message across that it will help you as wedding photographer get photos of/for the b&g.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648128 by MYoung
Yep, I've made some notes and considering some changes to my flow of things on gigs.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024