Buying a refurbished camera. Good idea of bad?

1 month 3 weeks ago #649178 by Cathy Kadolph
I found a camera for sale and the seller let me know it's a refurbished camera.  Half of me things well that's a good thing, the camera got a once over inspection.  If anything was wrong, Sony would have fixed it.  

Right attitude or am I missing something?  

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up." Pablo Picasso
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 3 weeks ago #649179 by Nikon Shooter
I would consider this option IF there is a "refurbished" confirmation
comes with the camera.

Obviously, for mirrorless, shutter count is less relevant.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster

1 month 3 weeks ago #649209 by Screamin Scott
I've bought several refurbished cameras and lenses but always from a dealer (Cameta). I don't know if I would from a private seller...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #649215 by Cathy Kadolph
OK enough for me.  Thank you!

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up." Pablo Picasso
Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #649233 by CaptNemo
You realize if a camera goes back to manufacture for ANY reason: buyer had change of heart, grip sticker falling off, didn't have strap, or any other silly reason.  The manufacture then goes through the camera, and fixes what needs to be fixed and repackages it.  Refurbished items can be as good  and likely are like the other bodies being sold as new.  

Will I buy refurbished?  Yes depending on how the camera test out for me.  

Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #649264 by fmw
As long as it is refurbished by the manufacturer then it is very good idea.

Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #649328 by CatherineW
+1 agree, if my manufacture and priced right, sure why not. 

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #649512 by Roger Lang
If anyone other than the original manufactured refurbished the camera, then not a good idea.  If it's the manufacture, they refurbish things to original specs, so you are way good there.  

Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #649520 by Screamin Scott
Sounds like the seller may have bought it refurbished and then used it... I'd pass

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #649643 by Cathy Kadolph
Back on the fence!  If good deal would you have inspected by 3rd party?  Then determine?

Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #649701 by Don Granger

CaptNemo wrote: You realize if a camera goes back to manufacture for ANY reason: buyer had change of heart, grip sticker falling off, didn't have strap, or any other silly reason.  The manufacture then goes through the camera, and fixes what needs to be fixed and repackages it.  Refurbished items can be as good  and likely are like the other bodies being sold as new.  

Will I buy refurbished?  Yes depending on how the camera test out for me.  

Agree, many items that are being sold as refurbished, are new.  The trick is knowing which ones have been returned for simple things like person had 2nd thoughts about it.  Verses the items that were screwed up to start.  

Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #649706 by Screamin Scott
A lot of the responses here assume that the camera is direct from the manufacturer. I get the impression it is from a private seller who had bought a refurbed camera. Caveat emptor

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #649825 by Garbo
Nope,  pass if from private seller.  If directly from manufacture then why not.  

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #649843 by icepics
Listen to Screamin', he knows what he's talking about.

From a private seller?? they can say/post pretty much whatever they want, doesn't means it's so. Seems like 'rehab' can mean different things to people trying to sell cameras. Stick to reputable businesses/manufacturers.

Sharon
Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #649880 by Scott Klubeck
:agree: it's a black hole, one that I would stand clear from.

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S review, learn about its specs, features, build quality, handling, price, and more.

Aug 13, 2019

The Fujifilm X-T2 might be three years old, but it's still a highly capable camera with specs and features that will suit just about any photographer in 2019.

Aug 12, 2019

The upcoming Sony RX100 VII is hotly anticipated because of the success of its predecessors. The question is, it live up to the hype? Find out in this Sony RX100 VII review.

Aug 01, 2019

It's been over a decade since the Canon 5D Mark II was released, and yet it's still a fantastic camera. Learn about the Canon 5D Mark II features, specs, price and more in this review.

Jul 24, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Photo by Jesse Mills on Unsplash It is easy for us to forget that 9/11 is still claiming lives almost 2 decades later. It is...

Aug 17, 2019

The holidays might be a few months away, but it's never to late to start getting ideas for the photographer on your list. These gifts for photographers under $50 will do the trick!

Aug 15, 2019

In this camera tripod buyers guide, learn which tripods are the best of the bunch at various price points from under $100 to over $1,000.

Aug 15, 2019

Not sure how to grow your photography business? With these simple photography business tips, learn how you can step up your marketing game.

Aug 14, 2019

Whether you're taking still photos or videos, high-quality light is a must. This list of the best photography lighting equipment represents some of the best lights in the business.

Aug 14, 2019

Screenshot from News 4 Tucson YouTube video Jamie Bisceglia is a hero in my book. The woman was recently taken to a hospital after being bitten by an...

Aug 13, 2019

In this Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S review, learn about its specs, features, build quality, handling, price, and more.

Aug 13, 2019

The Sony a6500 replacement is on the way! Find out what the rumored specs are and when you might be able to find one on a store shelf near you.

Aug 13, 2019