Buying a refurbished camera. Good idea of bad?

1 year 2 weeks ago #649178 by Cathy Kadolph
I found a camera for sale and the seller let me know it's a refurbished camera.  Half of me things well that's a good thing, the camera got a once over inspection.  If anything was wrong, Sony would have fixed it.  

Right attitude or am I missing something?  

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up." Pablo Picasso
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 2 weeks ago #649179 by Nikon Shooter
I would consider this option IF there is a "refurbished" confirmation
comes with the camera.

Obviously, for mirrorless, shutter count is less relevant.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

1 year 2 weeks ago #649209 by Screamin Scott
I've bought several refurbished cameras and lenses but always from a dealer (Cameta). I don't know if I would from a private seller...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

1 year 2 weeks ago #649215 by Cathy Kadolph
OK enough for me.  Thank you!

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up." Pablo Picasso
Photo Comments

1 year 2 weeks ago #649233 by CaptNemo
You realize if a camera goes back to manufacture for ANY reason: buyer had change of heart, grip sticker falling off, didn't have strap, or any other silly reason.  The manufacture then goes through the camera, and fixes what needs to be fixed and repackages it.  Refurbished items can be as good  and likely are like the other bodies being sold as new.  

Will I buy refurbished?  Yes depending on how the camera test out for me.  

Photo Comments

1 year 2 weeks ago #649264 by fmw
As long as it is refurbished by the manufacturer then it is very good idea.

Photo Comments

1 year 2 weeks ago #649328 by CatherineW
+1 agree, if my manufacture and priced right, sure why not. 

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments

1 year 1 week ago #649512 by Roger Lang
If anyone other than the original manufactured refurbished the camera, then not a good idea.  If it's the manufacture, they refurbish things to original specs, so you are way good there.  

Photo Comments

1 year 1 week ago #649520 by Screamin Scott
Sounds like the seller may have bought it refurbished and then used it... I'd pass

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments

1 year 1 week ago #649643 by Cathy Kadolph
Back on the fence!  If good deal would you have inspected by 3rd party?  Then determine?

Photo Comments

1 year 1 week ago #649701 by Don Granger

CaptNemo wrote: You realize if a camera goes back to manufacture for ANY reason: buyer had change of heart, grip sticker falling off, didn't have strap, or any other silly reason.  The manufacture then goes through the camera, and fixes what needs to be fixed and repackages it.  Refurbished items can be as good  and likely are like the other bodies being sold as new.  

Will I buy refurbished?  Yes depending on how the camera test out for me.  

Agree, many items that are being sold as refurbished, are new.  The trick is knowing which ones have been returned for simple things like person had 2nd thoughts about it.  Verses the items that were screwed up to start.  

Photo Comments

1 year 1 week ago #649706 by Screamin Scott
A lot of the responses here assume that the camera is direct from the manufacturer. I get the impression it is from a private seller who had bought a refurbed camera. Caveat emptor

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments

1 year 1 week ago #649825 by Garbo
Nope,  pass if from private seller.  If directly from manufacture then why not.  

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments

1 year 1 week ago #649843 by icepics
Listen to Screamin', he knows what he's talking about.

From a private seller?? they can say/post pretty much whatever they want, doesn't means it's so. Seems like 'rehab' can mean different things to people trying to sell cameras. Stick to reputable businesses/manufacturers.

Sharon
Photo Comments

1 year 1 week ago #649880 by Scott Klubeck
:agree: it's a black hole, one that I would stand clear from.

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon D500 vs Nikon D7500 matchup, we explore the features and specs, pros and cons, and prices of these older, but highly capable DSLRs.

Jun 22, 2020

Check out this Sony a7R IV review to learn all about this incredible camera's specs, features, image quality, price, and more.

Jun 15, 2020

The Panasonic Lumix S1 might be a few years old, but its features and specs (and its used price today) make it worth a long, hard look.

Jun 08, 2020

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 II review, learn about the camera's specs and features, pros and cons, price, and much more.

Jun 02, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best camera bags of 2020 include big backpacks, small sling bags, and many variations in between. Which of these top camera bags is for you? Find out!

Jul 09, 2020

Canon unveiled the Canon EOS R5 and EOS R6 this morning. Both cameras look to be game-changers for Canon, and both will ship soon!

Jul 09, 2020

The H&Y RevoRing is a revolutionary new variable step ring that will save you money, time, and space in your camera bag!

Jul 08, 2020

The wedding album is an important vessel for the photographs you take. With these tips for creating a wedding album, make something that will impress your clients and give them long-lasting memories.

Jul 07, 2020

The Nikon Z7 is one of Nikon's most popular cameras. Because of its popularity, there are many accessories available as well. Here's our list of some of the best ones.

Jul 06, 2020

In the Canon EOS 80d vs Canon EOS 90D debate, you might think that the 90D is a hands-down winner since it's newer. But that might not be the case.

Jul 06, 2020

Using these marketing ideas for photographers, you can reach potential clients in an authentic way, and do so without spending a dime.

Jul 03, 2020

Getting started in nude photography is all about being comfortable with yourself as a photographer. Get some basic tips for starting your nude photography career!

Jul 03, 2020