Buying a refurbished camera. Good idea of bad?

4 years 10 months ago #649178 by Cathy Kadolph
I found a camera for sale and the seller let me know it's a refurbished camera.  Half of me things well that's a good thing, the camera got a once over inspection.  If anything was wrong, Sony would have fixed it.  

Right attitude or am I missing something?  

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up." Pablo Picasso
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #649179 by Nikon Shooter
I would consider this option IF there is a "refurbished" confirmation
comes with the camera.

Obviously, for mirrorless, shutter count is less relevant.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #649209 by Screamin Scott
I've bought several refurbished cameras and lenses but always from a dealer (Cameta). I don't know if I would from a private seller...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #649215 by Cathy Kadolph
OK enough for me.  Thank you!

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up." Pablo Picasso
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #649233 by CaptNemo
You realize if a camera goes back to manufacture for ANY reason: buyer had change of heart, grip sticker falling off, didn't have strap, or any other silly reason.  The manufacture then goes through the camera, and fixes what needs to be fixed and repackages it.  Refurbished items can be as good  and likely are like the other bodies being sold as new.  

Will I buy refurbished?  Yes depending on how the camera test out for me.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #649264 by fmw
As long as it is refurbished by the manufacturer then it is very good idea.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #649328 by CatherineW
+1 agree, if my manufacture and priced right, sure why not. 

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649512 by Roger Lang
If anyone other than the original manufactured refurbished the camera, then not a good idea.  If it's the manufacture, they refurbish things to original specs, so you are way good there.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649520 by Screamin Scott
Sounds like the seller may have bought it refurbished and then used it... I'd pass

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649643 by Cathy Kadolph
Back on the fence!  If good deal would you have inspected by 3rd party?  Then determine?

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649701 by Don Granger

CaptNemo wrote: You realize if a camera goes back to manufacture for ANY reason: buyer had change of heart, grip sticker falling off, didn't have strap, or any other silly reason.  The manufacture then goes through the camera, and fixes what needs to be fixed and repackages it.  Refurbished items can be as good  and likely are like the other bodies being sold as new.  

Will I buy refurbished?  Yes depending on how the camera test out for me.  

Agree, many items that are being sold as refurbished, are new.  The trick is knowing which ones have been returned for simple things like person had 2nd thoughts about it.  Verses the items that were screwed up to start.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649706 by Screamin Scott
A lot of the responses here assume that the camera is direct from the manufacturer. I get the impression it is from a private seller who had bought a refurbed camera. Caveat emptor

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649825 by Garbo
Nope,  pass if from private seller.  If directly from manufacture then why not.  

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649843 by icepics
Listen to Screamin', he knows what he's talking about.

From a private seller?? they can say/post pretty much whatever they want, doesn't means it's so. Seems like 'rehab' can mean different things to people trying to sell cameras. Stick to reputable businesses/manufacturers.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649880 by Scott Klubeck
:agree: it's a black hole, one that I would stand clear from.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024