How often do memory cards fail?

3 months 2 days ago #651666 by Patrick G
I was reading an older post here where someone was talking about a card failing.   Actually I was reading this yesterday, however still thinking about it.  From a global standpoint, how often do memory cards actually fail?  

I don't hear much on this topic, so assumed this is a near non-existant?

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 months 2 days ago #651667 by fmw
Every one of them will fail at some point.  That can be a long time but it isn't forever.  I use small memory cards and download the images to  computer as soon as I am home.  I back up the computer with a NAS.  I don't leave images on a memory card any longer than necessary.  I've had 20 or 30 cards fail over the years.

Photo Comments

3 months 2 days ago #651669 by Patrick G
20-30 fail?  How so?  

Photo Comments

3 months 2 days ago #651672 by Nikon Shooter
I have several cards (SDXC, CF, XQD) for my 4 bodies and
none has ever failed in 7 years.

If ever one should fail, it won't have a second chance in my
bag but maybe for other purpose.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster

3 months 2 days ago #651674 by Shadowfixer1

fmw wrote: Every one of them will fail at some point.  That can be a long time but it isn't forever.  I use small memory cards and download the images to  computer as soon as I am home.  I back up the computer with a NAS.  I don't leave images on a memory card any longer than necessary.  I've had 20 or 30 cards fail over the years.

If you have had 20 or 30 cards fail over the years, then you're doing something wrong. That would work out to more than one per year. That is a hard number to believe. I have never had one to fail and that goes back at least 17 years in digital imaging.

3 months 2 days ago #651706 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Patrick

Over the 16yrs of digital activity I have had 2 SD cards fail ~ each was a non-brand name card purchased as a pair from a chain store outlet when I was away from home and 'naked' without my usual brand-name cards

One card failed after about 300 uses, the other after about 1500 uses over a 8yr period

These days I only keep about 4 SD cards in circulation [with 4 cameras of one type or another] and as I download every night from card to computer, size of card does not concern me - it is Mb/s transfer speed that I go on these days

At home I do have a heap of 1/2-Gb and 1Gb and 2Gb cards lying around ... but strangely no-one wants them these days :(

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 months 1 day ago #651797 by Joe Peterson
Never had one fail.  I've washed mine before, but never had it fail because of manufacture issues.  

Photo Comments

3 months 22 hours ago #651868 by Howard Swanson
Knock on wood with this one!  

Photo Comments

3 months 11 hours ago #651975 by fmw

Shadowfixer1 wrote: If you have had 20 or 30 cards fail over the years, then you're doing something wrong.

Probably making a lot more images than you do.  I was a commercial photographer.

Photo Comments

3 months 11 hours ago #651977 by Nikon Shooter
I am puzzled by your reply, friend. I don't get it but
I do understand where Randy is.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster

3 months 10 hours ago #651979 by Deb Reardon
+1 on that knock on wood.  Hi hope I don't jinx myself, but no issues here.  

3 months 9 hours ago #651984 by Tim Chiang
Not often at all.  But it does happen so always back up your work.  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a9 might be a couple of years old now, but as we demonstrate in this Sony a9 review, it is still one of the best cameras in its class, particularly when it comes to its autofocus capabilities.

Oct 08, 2019

The Canon EOS M200 is coming soon, and if you're interested in upgrading from your phone to a traditional camera, this one might just be for you.

Oct 02, 2019

In this Canon EOS 6D Mark II review, learn about this camera's essential specs, features, and pros and cons so you can determine if it's the right camera for you.

Sep 27, 2019

In this iMovR Lander Lite desk review, learn about the build quality, features, durability, and technology that make it one of the best standing desks on the market today.

Sep 27, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

I've had the Haida M10 filter system for about a week now, and first impressions are that it is a high-quality, well-built kit that could very well become my go-to filter kit.

Oct 16, 2019

Screenshot from YouTube video If you're really strapped for cash, we've got the photography job for you: professional pigeon scarer.  There's a...

Oct 16, 2019

The Olympus E-M5 Mark III has been in the works for a long time and is rumored to be released this week. What specs and features can we expect? Find out here!

Oct 15, 2019

If you have a mirrorless camera, there are tons of accessories you can buy. But our list of mirrorless camera accessories narrows it down to a few must-have items.

Oct 15, 2019

Photo by Matt Seymour on Unsplash The body of an FBI forensic photographer was just found in a national park in Nantahala, North...

Oct 15, 2019

There are many things you can do to improve your income, and these simple photography business tips will give you a pathway to enjoying higher profits.

Oct 14, 2019

Photo by Jared Brashier on Unsplash How would you like to be arrested by a drone? While this isn't possible (yet), some police...

Oct 11, 2019

Photo by Bryan Angelo on Unsplash A shocking report released by Bloomberg found dozens of Amazon workers charged with...

Oct 11, 2019