How often do memory cards fail?

4 years 9 months ago #651666 by Patrick G
I was reading an older post here where someone was talking about a card failing.   Actually I was reading this yesterday, however still thinking about it.  From a global standpoint, how often do memory cards actually fail?  

I don't hear much on this topic, so assumed this is a near non-existant?

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651667 by fmw
Every one of them will fail at some point.  That can be a long time but it isn't forever.  I use small memory cards and download the images to  computer as soon as I am home.  I back up the computer with a NAS.  I don't leave images on a memory card any longer than necessary.  I've had 20 or 30 cards fail over the years.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651669 by Patrick G
20-30 fail?  How so?  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651672 by Nikon Shooter
I have several cards (SDXC, CF, XQD) for my 4 bodies and
none has ever failed in 7 years.

If ever one should fail, it won't have a second chance in my
bag but maybe for other purpose.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651674 by Shadowfixer1

fmw wrote: Every one of them will fail at some point.  That can be a long time but it isn't forever.  I use small memory cards and download the images to  computer as soon as I am home.  I back up the computer with a NAS.  I don't leave images on a memory card any longer than necessary.  I've had 20 or 30 cards fail over the years.

If you have had 20 or 30 cards fail over the years, then you're doing something wrong. That would work out to more than one per year. That is a hard number to believe. I have never had one to fail and that goes back at least 17 years in digital imaging.
4 years 9 months ago #651706 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Patrick

Over the 16yrs of digital activity I have had 2 SD cards fail ~ each was a non-brand name card purchased as a pair from a chain store outlet when I was away from home and 'naked' without my usual brand-name cards

One card failed after about 300 uses, the other after about 1500 uses over a 8yr period

These days I only keep about 4 SD cards in circulation [with 4 cameras of one type or another] and as I download every night from card to computer, size of card does not concern me - it is Mb/s transfer speed that I go on these days

At home I do have a heap of 1/2-Gb and 1Gb and 2Gb cards lying around ... but strangely no-one wants them these days :(

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 9 months ago #651797 by Joe Peterson
Never had one fail.  I've washed mine before, but never had it fail because of manufacture issues.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651868 by Howard Swanson
Knock on wood with this one!  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651975 by fmw

Shadowfixer1 wrote: If you have had 20 or 30 cards fail over the years, then you're doing something wrong.

Probably making a lot more images than you do.  I was a commercial photographer.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651977 by Nikon Shooter
I am puzzled by your reply, friend. I don't get it but
I do understand where Randy is.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651979 by Deb Reardon
+1 on that knock on wood.  Hi hope I don't jinx myself, but no issues here.  

4 years 9 months ago #651984 by Tim Chiang
Not often at all.  But it does happen so always back up your work.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024